united4
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
What is the best biomed uni for medicine back up?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by united4)
What is the best biomed uni for medicine back up?
Best in terms of what? Ranking? Prestige? Student satisfaction?

Also, if your heart is set on Medicine, the usual TSR advice is to reapply next year to standard undergrad medicine again, instead of doing a random degree and then going for graduate entry medicine.

GEM is more competitive (at least 2x), takes longer and costs more than taking a gap year and reapplying to standard undergrad medicine the next year. All med schools welcome a productive gap year, and you can gain more experience, have more time to prepare for UCAT / BMAT and even earn some money for uni.

Finally as you are asking about Biomed, the thread has been moved away from Medicine.
Last edited by ecolier; 4 months ago
Lewis T K
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Best in terms of what? Ranking? Prestige? Student satisfaction?

Also, if youre heart is set on Medicine, the usual TSR advice is to reapply next year to standard undergrad medicine again, instead of doing a random degree and then going for graduate entry medicine.

GEM is more competitive (at least 2x), takes longer and costs more than taking a gap year and reapplying to standard undergrad medicine the next year. All med schools welcome a productive gap year, and you can gain more experience, have more time to prepare for UCAT / BMAT and even earn some money for uni.

Finally as you are asking about Biomed, the thread has been moved away from Medicine.
This is very good advice. As a GEM applicant I can confirm all of what was stated. I comprehend that many don’t want to take a gap year as they think it will deter their application. However if you use your time wisely, such as by gaining valuable work experience and spending a lot of study time on your UCAT and PS, then it can really help your application
united4
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lewis T K)
This is very good advice. As a GEM applicant I can confirm all of what was stated. I comprehend that many don’t want to take a gap year as they think it will deter their application. However if you use your time wisely, such as by gaining valuable work experience and spending a lot of study time on your UCAT and PS, then it can really help your application
There are three scenarios:
1) I don't get any offers but get the grades
2) I don't get any offers nor get grades (e.g no offers and I get AAB)
3) I get offers but don't get the grades

What would your best course of action be in each scenario?
Lewis T K
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
For the first scenario, I would suggest taking a gap year, and gain experience and work a lot on your UCAT and/or BMAT. This will make you a far more competitive candidate.
For scenario 2, I would suggest calling the universities you are interested in and see what their advice to you directly is. They may say you would need to gain an undergrad or they may recommend medicine with a foundation year.
For scenario 3, I would say take the medicine offer. That’s the main goal.

The main thing is you need to know yourself what you want to do. Don’t rush into a degree that you are not passionate or interested in, as it’s a big financial and time consuming burden.
There are plenty of great people on TSR, such as ecoiler who can give you the best advice. You will find them on the medicine threads.

Very best of luck with your application
Regards Lewis T Kenney
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by united4)
There are three scenarios:
1) I don't get any offers but get the grades
2) I don't get any offers nor get grades (e.g no offers and I get AAB)
3) I get offers but don't get the grades

What would your best course of action be in each scenario?
For all 1), 2) and 3) you should take a gap year and reapply.

For 1) you could try Clearing but as I have previously mentioned (elsewhere) this is rare so you'll need to be prepared for a gap year.
For 2) as said above, improve your stats like UCAT or interview prep, retake the A Levels and reapply.
For 3) call up the med school on results day, they may still take you. If not retake your A Levels and apply to the 20 or so med schools that accept retakes.

... There are plenty of great people on TSR, such as ecoiler who can give you the best advice. You will find them on the medicine threads....
:hat2:
united4
Rep:
?
For the first scenario, I would suggest taking a gap year, and gain experience and work a lot on your UCAT and/or BMAT. This will make you a far more competitive candidate.
For scenario 2, I would suggest calling the universities you are interested in and see what their advice to you directly is. They may say you would need to gain an undergrad or they may recommend medicine with a foundation year.
For scenario 3, I would say take the medicine offer. That’s the main goal.

The main thing is you need to know yourself what you want to do. Don’t rush into a degree that you are not passionate or interested in, as it’s a big financial and time consuming burden.
There are plenty of great people on TSR, such as ecoiler who can give you the best advice. You will find them on the medicine threads.

Very best of luck with your application
Regards Lewis T Kenney
Thanks! Great advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (45)
36.59%
No (64)
52.03%
I don't know (14)
11.38%

Watched Threads