How to revise to get a 9 in triple science and maths

Watch
unknownm123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
What did you guys do do to get 9s in both triple sciences and maths at GCSE?
I’d say I’m working at 4/5 in maths. I’m inyear 10 right now and I’m doing higher and I’m aiming for a 9 because I know I’m capable of achieving it.
I’m also aiming for 8 or 9 in triple sciences. Please let me know all your methods
Last edited by unknownm123; 3 weeks ago

limitlesspuffy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by unknownm123)
What did you gust to do to get 9s in both triple sciences and maths at GCSE?
Hi, I'm a currently a Year 11 and my mock grades and predicted grades in maths and science were all 9s so I'm hoping for 9s on results day.
For maths- I did plenty of practice, exam style questions every day and did a practice past paper every weekend. Then I marked it using the mark scheme. I think past papers is definitely the best way to revise for maths. There is no point writing notes or reading notes for maths. You may do this at the start if the topic you are doing is a new one, however this should not be your only method of revision. Another way I practiced hard maths questions was using drfrost maths which is a website where you can create a free account and it gives you lots of exam-style questions. I find this better than mymaths as the questions in mymaths were generally easier and not exam-style. Another way to achieve high in a maths gcse is to practice papers and questions from further maths. You could practice topics that overlap for example Algebra and trigonometry which will give you an insight in harder questions. These questions are the same level as gcse maths grade 8/9
For triple science- I read through the textbook and then closed it, then using a sheet of A4 paper, I summarised the whole chapter on it. If i was finding it hard to read the textbook notes, I used freesciencelessons and then summarised the contents of the video instead. I also did lots of practice exam questions from physicsandmaths tutor and past papers. Then read through the mark scheme very carefully after each paper. As you get a hang of the mark scheme, you will be able to answer any question just the way the examiner wants. The summary notes I made after each chapter/video were really helpful because I used to read through them on the day of the exam and by doing this I remembered everything.
Last edited by limitlesspuffy; 3 weeks ago
Sophhhowa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Check my study gram for tips: science.with.soph
I’ve also got lots of YouTube content on exactly this coming up
unknownm123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by limitlesspuffy)
Hi, I'm a currently a Year 11 and my mock grades and predicted grades in maths and science were all 9s so I'm hoping for 9s on results day.
For maths- I did plenty of practice, exam style questions every day and did a practice past paper every weekend. Then I marked it using the mark scheme. I think past papers is definitely the best way to revise for maths. There is no point writing notes or reading notes for maths. You may do this at the start if the topic you are doing is a new one, however this should not be your only method of revision. Another way I practiced hard maths questions was using drfrost maths which is a website where you can create a free account and it gives you lots of exam-style questions. I find this better than mymaths as the questions in mymaths were generally easier and not exam-style. Another way to achieve high in a maths gcse is to practice papers and questions from further maths. You could practice topics that overlap for example Algebra and trigonometry which will give you an insight in harder questions.
For triple science- I read through the textbook and then closed it, then using a sheet of A4 paper, I summarised the whole chapter on it. If i was finding it hard to read the textbook notes, I used freesciencelessons and then summarised the contents of the video instead. I also did lots of practice exam questions from physics and maths tutor and past papers. Then read through the mark scheme very carefully after each paper. As you get a hang of the mark scheme, you will be able to answer any question just the way the examiner wants. The summary notes I made after each chapter/video were really helpful because I used to read through them on the day of the exam and by doing this I remembered everything.
Thank you very much. I’ll put try this and hopefully I get my A* next year 😁
Becca216
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Past papers.Past papers.Past papers.Past papers.Past papers.Past papers. (even ones of the old spec)

I recommend Physics and Maths tutor - sorts out questions into sub topics.

Also flash cards to learn the key words/equations/theory's for sciences
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
yeah practice for maths is the best thing to do! https://corbettmaths.com is great for practise questions on every GCSE topic/lesson, and if you don't understand an aspect of the course you can just put it into youtube and there'll be someone who's done a video about it!

For science, try and learn the content in a way that you can then explain it confidently to someone who doesn't know anything about the topic - if you don't have anyone you can do this with irl then talk in front of a mirror, or even pretend to make a youtube vid explaining the topic (sounds cliche ik but I found it actually worked!)
glowing_starfish
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Do as many Practice papers as u can - time urself - memorise mark-schemes so u know wat the question wants. -rly helpful

DO NOT SPEND UR WHOLE TIME MAKING REVISION NOTES! - that was my mistake - I would say to make notes on specific things u need to remember or u always forget - and then put them in places u always look e.g equations, formulas ...
headless chick
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I got 8/9s in maths and triple science, and I would say, practise papers are everything, but dont use them all at once, keep some for closer towards ur GCSE's, so u can constantly monitor ur progress. Also, for science, learn the subject specific vocabulary that are constantly mentioned in mark schemes, and use them in ur answers where u can.
Gent2324
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
do loads of practice questions, and remember to go over them if you get the wrong so you understand it, theres some here https://cognitate.co.uk/
glowing_starfish
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If u run out of practice papers just redo them timing urself shorter - u can try beat ur each time
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by unknownm123)
What did you guys do do to get 9s in both triple sciences and maths at GCSE?
I’d say I’m working at 4/5 in maths. I’m inyear 10 right now and I’m doing higher and I’m aiming for a 9 because I know I’m capable of achieving it.
I’m also aiming for 8 or 9 in triple sciences. Please let me know all your methods
Hey unknownm123!

Another little tip for science would be to use the exam specification as a checklist for covering all the content.
I'd go through and tick off everything you can do/know and then maybe highlight the ones you need to focus on a bit more

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
Claydo66
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you’re are a 4/5 in maths it will be a lot of extra work getting to a 9 but obviously not impossible. I went from a 4 to a 7 in the space if 4 months just by working my butt off. I probably could’ve gotten higher if I started working hard in year 10 but left it too late. You are in a great position.
I’d say do a lot of past papers for maths.
As for sciences, all I did was cram information. I basically memorised the contents of the CGP revision guides front to back so knew all my content. I only got 7s though because I lacked the application skills. I still believe I could’ve done better if I had started working hard earlier on and practiced polishing these skills with practice exam questions.
I wish you luck and know if you set your mind to it you can achieve the grades you want.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (33)
8.09%
Confident (54)
13.24%
Indifferent (58)
14.22%
Unsure (104)
25.49%
Worried (159)
38.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise