The Student Room Group

Huge spike in Firsts due to safety nets and sympathetic markers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ageshallnot
Will Corona graduates have their ambitions "popped"??? 😆

:rofl: Almost certainly. And if they really dislike their corona job, they can return it to the milkman and get 5p back.
Original post by stargazer2k19
Yeah, it's an absolute disgrace, and they'll no doubt just be dishing Firsts out this year like there's no tomorrow.

Its because unis expanded recklessly and are desperate for the money. My uni is basically rebuilding the entire campus at the moment which suspiciously coincided with the doubling of size on my course's cohort. They'd have done this by letting in anyone willing to pay for it; the entry grades are lower than similar courses even though its a better quality university in theory. They put in place procedures to stop people dropping out like high weighted exams right at end of course. Compared to last year the syllabus is dumbed down; they removed stuff, put hints on coursework and they ploughed support sessions and help desks which weren't there before. Tuition fees are extortionate especially for the international students. If majority are getting 2:2s or lower no one would go. People wouldn't take out a 30 year loan or put their family's life savings on the line knowing they're massively risking getting a grade perceived a worthless. The disgrace is attempting to get 50% into uni and implement tuition fees which has basically ruined higher education.
(edited 3 years ago)
No detriment doesnt mean you suddenly get firsts on work you submitted during the lockdown, it just means if your grades falls below what you are on track for i.e the marks you have so far and the grade you got last year, that it wont be counted towards your final grade.
If people think this is unfair then perhaps they should have been in our shoes where people like myself couldn't even finish our models properly and had to improvise everything. I myself had to hand stitch something for 18 hours that would have taken an hour max on a sewing machine, with the closures of workshops i couldnt access said machines.
It is still really hard to get a first and if people achieve one they have as much right to be proud of it as any other year, as does anyone receiving a grade. We have come through in some really adverse circumstances and likely won't even get a graduation ceremony to show for it. On top of that graduate opportunities for this year have vanished in the blink of an eye and people with jobs lined up for after they finish have likely lost them. We can have this one thing.
It would also be great if you could add a source to your original post since nothing i have read anywhere suggests what you are presenting.
My (integrated) masters course is being graded simply as pass with honours/fail this year, in large part because they were concerned about being able to discern between students at the upper end using online assessment.

[There is an optional classed exam for people who want a merit/distinction but this will be a normal in-person exam held perhaps as late as 2021]
Original post by CoolCavy
No detriment doesnt mean you suddenly get firsts on work you submitted during the lockdown, it just means if your grades falls below what you are on track for i.e the marks you have so far and the grade you got last year, that it wont be counted towards your final grade.
If people think this is unfair then perhaps they should have been in our shoes where people like myself couldn't even finish our models properly and had to improvise everything. I myself had to hand stitch something for 18 hours that would have taken an hour max on a sewing machine, with the closures of workshops i couldnt access said machines.
It is still really hard to get a first and if people achieve one they have as much right to be proud of it as any other year, as does anyone receiving a grade. We have come through in some really adverse circumstances and likely won't even get a graduation ceremony to show for it. On top of that graduate opportunities for this year have vanished in the blink of an eye and people with jobs lined up for after they finish have likely lost them. We can have this one thing.
It would also be great if you could add a source to your original post since nothing i have read anywhere suggests what you are presenting.

I said in a previous comment in this post, the Class of 2020 will be the lost graduates. That is, graduates whose degrees won't benefit them/come into use. Of course, there's always exceptions, and some people will get graduate jobs this year, but most of us won't. And not just this year, but ever. Next year's grad jobs will go to the freshly graduating Class of 2021. We'll be competing with 2020 grads AND 2021 grads - we don't stand a chance. Collectively speaking, the Class of 2020 will miss out on the ambitions, goals, dreams, careers and ultimately lives they had wanted and hoped for.

Perhaps our loans should be canceled to compensate us (yeah, right 😂😤).

Despite all I've said, I wanna say: Good luck to everyone, anyway.
Original post by stargazer2k19
I said in a previous comment in this post, the Class of 2020 will be the lost graduates. That is, graduates whose degrees won't benefit them/come into use. Of course, there's always exceptions, and some people will get graduate jobs this year, but most of us won't. And not just this year, but ever. Next year's grad jobs will go to the freshly graduating Class of 2021. We'll be competing with 2020 grads AND 2021 grads - we don't stand a chance. Collectively speaking, the Class of 2020 will miss out on the ambitions, goals, dreams, careers and ultimately lives they had wanted and hoped for.

Perhaps our loans should be canceled to compensate us (yeah, right 😂😤).

Despite all I've said, I wanna say: Good luck to everyone, anyway.

I think you're being a bit pessimistic, its understandable to be worried - I am too, but you are catatrophising a bit. Our degrees will get us the same opportunities as we would have had it just might take longer as the economy recovers.There are jobs out there we just need to look harder to find them. Once my grades are in I will start applying to design jobs, people are still hiring many are just offering remote work and online interviews.
I think we can put a positive spin on this in our interviews, employers like people who can problem solve, think round things and dont just give up when things get hard, all of which are things we have done to graduate during a pandemic.
Personally I am glad we graduated now and not next year since the disruption looks set to affect academics into next year and from my perspective it's better to have disruption at the end (when most things are done) compared to the beginning. The situation is changing so rapidly so whilst yes opportunities we might have had directly after graduating have been snuffed out, that's not to say there won't be others at a later date. We have an entire year before the 2021 graduates come into the job market, already even today the coronavirus alert level has been reduced. Things will get back to normal we just need to be positive and continue to build up our strengths in this limbo time. For me this is carrying on building up my portfolio, it's good if you can show employers that you have been productive during this period and done things which are in your power to control. There's no use worrying yourself with what grades others will get, put your energies into making sure you stand out no matter what :smile:
You too, we are in this together and will get through the other side
I will graduate in 2021 and it certainly wasn't made easier for us, in actual fact they made it that little bit harder so, that we really earned our degree classifications.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending