I need helping in picking a third A-level subject to self-study

Watch
Lightning-Strike
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all.

I want to go to uni to study maths. I'm looking to take maths and further maths, but I'm not sure on a third subject. I can't take anything with practicals or coursework. It has to be exams only.

Additionally, I can't really afford a tutor so a subject like economics may be difficult.

Just a note on economics: I've heard that the hardest bit is exam technique, but I've found tons of good resources to help out with that. I know that my answers could still be bad, but do you think I could compare my answers to model answers for the same question and see how it goes?

I don't find the economics content/ theory to be difficult. It makes perfect sense. and actually I think it's really interesting.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
CelinaBrown
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lightning-Strike)
Hi all.

I want to go to uni to study maths. I'm looking to take maths and further maths, but I'm not sure on a third subject. I can't take anything with practicals or coursework. It has to be exams only.

Additionally, I can't really afford a tutor so a subject like economics may be difficult.

Just a note on economics: I've heard that the hardest bit is exam technique, but I've found tons of good resources to help out with that. I know that my answers could still be bad, but do you think I could compare my answers to model answers for the same question and see how it goes?

I don't find the economics content/ theory to be difficult. It makes perfect sense. and actually I think it's really interesting.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
wOW Maths and further maths! You must be really clever. What did you get in your maths gcse if you don't mind me asking ?
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maths and further maths will enable you to apply to any university for maths. What the third subject is isn't important, in this case it'll just be what you can take.

The majority of subjects have an NEA component so this is tricky. I think economics would be one of your only choices here if you're to do UK A-levels (business could be too off the top of my head but I am clutching at straws a bit) but I do think with essay subjects you should have someone to check your work. Always harder to judge the quality of your own work in this case than with maths/fm.
Last edited by _gcx; 1 year ago
Lightning-Strike
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)
Maths and further maths will enable you to apply to any university for maths. What the third subject is isn't important, in this case it'll just be what you can take.

The majority of subjects have an NEA component so this is tricky. I think economics would be one of your only choices here if you're to do UK A-levels (business could be too off the top of my head but I am clutching at straws a bit) but I do think with essay subjects you should have someone to check your work. Always harder to judge the quality of your own work in this case than with maths/fm.
It's a tough one because when I looked for resources on how to write good answers then there are so many. They explain what evaluate, discuss, explain etc all mean; they then give examples of how it all works and then anything else that's important. If I can find a way to replicate all that then that may be okay. There are also plenty of A-level economics videos explaining how to write proper exam technique. On the other hand, it could be deluding myself.

May I ask, what do you think about psychology? Would I run into the same issues with economics?

Thank you.
username5307166
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The 3 science a levels are out the books then because they all have required practicals, I think go for a subject you enjoy or have interest in. Maybe a subject like history or geography
username4347578
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Perhaps a language alevel?
Becca216
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RationaleLogic)
The 3 science a levels are out the books then because they all have required practicals, I think go for a subject you enjoy or have interest in. Maybe a subject like history or geography
Both history and Geography have NEAs
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's a tough one because when I looked for resources on how to write good answers then there are so many. They explain what evaluate, discuss, explain etc all mean; they then give examples of how it all works and then anything else that's important. If I can find a way to replicate all that then that may be okay. There are also plenty of A-level economics videos explaining how to write proper exam technique. On the other hand, it could be deluding myself.

May I ask, what do you think about psychology? Would I run into the same issues with economics?

Thank you.
I think you could be fine but it'd be good for someone to look over your writing every so often to make sure you're on the right track, is there any way that could be possible? (humanities/social sciences aren't really my thing so I could be completely wrong in this)

Oh I didn't think of psychology or sociology, those should be options too since they don't have an NEA!
leahnj
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
english lit and lang is lighter? maybe an EPQ
username5307166
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Becca216)
Both history and Geography have NEAs
Yeah just seen the coursework part, Only subjects I can think of are social sciences
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think Economics is probably your best bet, but other options without NEA include Business, Accounting, Psychology, Sociology, Politics, Law, a modern language, History of Art...
Lightning-Strike
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
I think Economics is probably your best bet, but other options without NEA include Business, Accounting, Psychology, Sociology, Politics, Law, a modern language, History of Art...
I think the only other option that seems viable for me would be psychology. May I ask, do you think psychology is worth taking instead of economics in my situation?

Thank you.
username5307166
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think the only other option that seems viable for me would be psychology. May I ask, do you think psychology is worth taking instead of economics in my situation?

Thank you.
How about business? Relatively simple and goes quite decently with maths?
Thatmusician02
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I can’t speak for the economics side of things, but I took A level psychology and if you’re looking for a subject without coursework or practicals I would recommend it. Everything you need is in textbooks/teaching and although it includes short essay writing, you basically have to include certain components to get the marks, so it’s like a checklist you can make for what to include in each essay.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Thank you.
I don't know how good the on-line resources are etc to enable you to self teach Psychology or Economics. Sorry.
Lightning-Strike
Rep:
?
(Original post by RationaleLogic)
How about business? Relatively simple and goes quite decently with maths?
The issue with business is that I don't think a lot of unis look upon it favourably. From what I've researched, economics is much more respected. Additionally, economics seems a little less essay-based than business based on what I've seen on the past papers, and they seem to have a few overlapping themes. Taking that all into account I think economics seems like a better choice for self-studying and making applying to uni.

Thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (21)
16.8%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (40)
32%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
9.6%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
10.4%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (6)
4.8%
I think it's an unfair expectation (31)
24.8%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.6%

Watched Threads