Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi

I will soon be starting as an f1 at a trust in Scotland and was wondering how long before you started did you receive your rotas and any info on what your banding was going to be
Catchetat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It depends where you work. Annoyingly some employers only send a month before hand... I can't remember the cut off but I think if it's 2 months prior it is considered illegal? Perhaps someone could clarify
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Just depends. I have not found the legal minimum required to be of any particular concern for some departments.

Chase it repeatedly, and if you need say x day off, tell them then if they do not send the rota and it becomes a dispute you have written evidence that you told them and it was them who broke the contract, not you.
Hype en Ecosse
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I got mine about 1-month before starting, which is considered quite good, despite the guidance that it should be a minimum of 6-weeks before.

I've seen people get rotas as little as 2-weeks before they start.
junior.doctor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I got my last one 5 weeks before - which is a record for me. I planned my life, and booked holiday and courses etc. And then 2 weeks before we started they took it back off us because 2 trainees not coming, and completely changed it and rewrote a 1 in 8 as a 1 in 6 🤨
We kicked up a stink about ruined life plans and in fairness they tried to help and honour stuff where they could. But it was a complete nightmare - for us and for them.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Thanks for replies guys, I'd just booked a few courses and exams after repeated telling them and they keep giving me vague responses like 'soon'
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Don't forget, it takes a very long time to change the names in the columns of a rolling rota on excel. You can't rush these things. Also it's not like doctors rotating every 4-6 months is a regular, predictable occurrence, so you need to factor that in too.
girl_in_black
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Etomidate)
Don't forget, it takes a very long time to change the names in the columns of a rolling rota on excel. You can't rush these things. Also it's not like doctors rotating every 4-6 months is a regular, predictable occurrence, so you need to factor that in too.
Indeed. It was such a surprise to the rota co-ordinator on my first FY1 job that I only got my rota during shadowing week, 2 days before starting on the wards :rolleyes:
HHaricot
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think that this is something the BMA should be campaigning hard on. Not just getting the rota, but actually when its 2 doctors down, increasing how hard everyone has to work on the rota is not a reasonable answer. If instead the trust/nhs needed to provide locum pay, it would quickly move trusts to plan an over staffing and redundancy into the rotas, to allow for sickness, absence etc. Would also making dipping in and out of covid rotas more possible if they employed 10 people fo an 8 person rota, with 2 people ‘flexible’ each week out of the 8...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (71)
19.03%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (76)
20.38%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (68)
18.23%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (78)
20.91%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (39)
10.46%
I haven't started researching yet (41)
10.99%

Watched Threads