The Student Room Group

Can I do a MA in English Literature with a Politics BA?

Is this possible?
Original post by ninjacaty
Is this possible?

You need to look at the entry criteria for the MA that interests you. Some MA's are self contained, so it might be and others expect previous knowledge. Only the uni cna tell, you. Might be wrong but it doesnt seem like a great fit.
OK, just to begin by clarifying your question here, I assume you are asking whether you can do a post grad in English Literature, when you already have a BA in Politics? The reason I am rephrasing and asking this is because in Scotland, an undergraduate English Literature degree is the "MA" and the post grad would be "MSc". Slightly different here. The MA is essentially the equivalent of a BA though.

So, assuming that you are asking "can I do a post grad in English literature when I have a BA in politics", I'd agree with the previous poster. This does not seem like a good fit. Universities usually specify that to do the post grad you need an undergrad degree in English Literature or "a related subject". It depends on the individual institution but politics is not really in the realm of languages/literatures/cultures.

Aside from whether an institution will admit you, there is a question here about whether you feel your knowledge of the subject is advanced enough to essentially skip 3 years (4 years in Scotland) of tuition that other students on the course will have benefited from, and be able to hold your own? In the undergraduate degree students equip themselves with the tools they need to undertake independent research (which is often the main component of a post grad) and will have an understanding of all manner of approaches to text - ie how to analyse a text using deconstructionist techniques, using the thinking of the Russian Formalists etc. These linguistic tools are essential to analysis.

I hope this helps in making your decision

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending