English University Fees? - British National living in EU edition

Watch
Steve H.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
It appears that my daughter (a British National living in the EU) falls into an edge case when it comes to determining her fee status for English universities. I cannot find any information regarding how she will be classified; there is lots of info for EU Nationals wanting to study in the UK, or British Nationals wanting to study in the EU, but nothing for my daughter's case.

Her case:
  • She has previously lived in England for over 9 years.
  • For the last 7 years she has been living in the EU.
  • She will be applying to Uni next year (i.e. for the 2021/22 intake).

Can anyone point me at information indicating what her status will be? The criteria on the UCAS form does not help.

I realize that the application will be post-Brexit transition, so things may not be settled yet, however there is one additional fact that confuses matters: at a recent, local British Embassy presentation, in response to a direct question on this topic, it was stated *categorically* by the Foreign Office official that UK citizens resident in the EU would still be classed as Home for at least another 7 years. Since then, none of us present can find documentary evidence of this and have not managed to get further information from officials.

Any ideas?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Under current rules she would be fully funded and classed as home fees as a UK national living in the EEA.

Post brexit this may change and she may need to prove that her time living outside the UK was always intended to be temporary.

Ukcisa has an advice phone line and all the legislation explained. They are the best source of individual advice.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Steve H.)
It appears that my daughter (a British National living in the EU) falls into an edge case when it comes to determining her fee status for English universities. I cannot find any information regarding how she will be classified; there is lots of info for EU Nationals wanting to study in the UK, or British Nationals wanting to study in the EU, but nothing for my daughter's case.

Her case:
  • She has previously lived in England for over 9 years.
  • For the last 7 years she has been living in the EU.
  • She will be applying to Uni next year (i.e. for the 2021/22 intake).

Can anyone point me at information indicating what her status will be? The criteria on the UCAS form does not help.

I realize that the application will be post-Brexit transition, so things may not be settled yet, however there is one additional fact that confuses matters: at a recent, local British Embassy presentation, in response to a direct question on this topic, it was stated *categorically* by the Foreign Office official that UK citizens resident in the EU would still be classed as Home for at least another 7 years. Since then, none of us present can find documentary evidence of this and have not managed to get further information from officials.

Any ideas?
I would second all of what PQ has said.

In the past, when UK citizens have lived outside the EU, I believe it has been possible for them to be treated as home students if you can prove strong ties to the UK (e.g. visiting regularly for long periods, family still own property there, clear intention to return and some point etc).

Unfortunately, I think it's likely the situation won't be confirmed until post transition period- this government doesn't seem very good at considering "unusual" cases.
CharlesLouis
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Here is UK government guidance dated 11 Aug 2020
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-natio...ther-education

UK nationals in the EEA and Switzerland: access to higher education and 19+ further education.It states with clarity that UK National prospective students will be eligible for home fee status if they have been living in any combination of the UK/EU/EEA/Switzerland for the three years prior to 31 December 2020 and then up until the start of the course. It also says the same for government student finance for England, though it doesn't pronounce on student finance in the RUK (rest of the UK). It's not clear if student financing beyond tuition fees - i.e. maintenance loans would be available.So far, I have found no explicit text on whether that would translate to Scottish Fees Status in Scotland (as per before Brexit) or if that would translate to RUK regular home fees in Scotland, nor whether SAAS would provide Scottish Tuition Fees funding (as per before Brexit)
Last edited by CharlesLouis; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (69)
20.97%
No (260)
79.03%

Watched Threads