Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Seriously, whenever I look at jobs available all they require is experience -_-
Newish.Account
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Depends at what level you’re pitching:

For basic retail and hospitality jobs plenty don’t require experience.

Grad schemes often don’t require prior experience in the industry as you get trained up on the job.

For those which do require experience, interning and volunteering are the way to go.

Job market is tough at the moment but if you’re persistent and proactive you’ll get there.
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You need to start with a crummier job to get some experience. Data entry/service jobs etc etc. Then 6 months to a year down the line you can apply to the jobs that you're looking at now.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Jones448)
Yes, they require experience, but not necessarily work experience. What you need to do is look very specifically at the skills they are asking for, and work out how in your life you can show you have that skill or experience. So if you haven't worked before, then it might be through a university society, or as a member of a sports team, or as a performer, or through a faith group or really any aspect of your life.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
How much experience are they asking for? If they specify 2+ years experience in a specific field, then filter those out, but if they just say "experience of x,y,z" and you can demonstrate that somehow, then it can still be worth applying.

Also, what are you trying to do to gain experience e.g. voluntary work, temping etc?
MalcolmX
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
they don't. the problem at the moment is there's not as much entry level hiring because of the pandemic.
NonIndigenous
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I had a rant about this on a related topic on TSR yesterday.

It appears, most people in most walks of life are too lazy to invest time & effort into someone else and just expect a 'finished product' up front. No effort or training required. Honestly, if you are proactive & ambitious, associating with these types of people will only ever be a drain on your energy.

If all you need is a job right now, get it, by any means necessary. Bullshyt if you have to, since imo when you're dealing with narrow minded people who fail to see potential in anyone, they don't really deserve the better side of you anyway. Treat them like they treat others. Once you have the experience, don't hang around there, just leave and find elsewhere. In the meantime, build networks with like-minded people outside of your work place.

Even so called 'grad schemes' or 'apprenticeship schemes' are very hit and miss. The corporate executives and senior leadership have the perspective to understand the importance of staff development, especially graduates and apprentices, and the role this plays in the long term success of the company and loyalty of its employees. However, lower-level managers whom you will likely report to directly, often do not have this perspective and will more often try to use you for whatever labor you are able to provide, regardless of it even being useful work or not, provided it earns them money. I know one apprentice who for the first year of his job did nothing but scan paper drawings into electronic formats. It is absolutely appalling experience, that you learn nothing from. But still, it now counts as "1 year of experience". Taadaa.

Anyway, that was a rant. Hope you found some it useful perhaps. Just, bull****. Whatever little experience you have, exaggerate it. Don't feel bad about using people who just as willingly do the same to others. They don't want to put any effort into developing or training you, and it'll be something you will need to do yourself in your own time probably.
Jones448
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I’ve been looking at jobs I could get after I achieve my Bachelors Degree in business but everyone expects experience
Rorty
Badges: 10
Report 5 months ago
Generally speaking, the majority of things listed as requirements on job applications are really just a list of ideal qualities a candidate might have. Relatively few people who are eventually offered entry level positions will tick every box. You may not have professional experience, but if your degree was even somewhat worth doing it should have equipped you with various skills and knowledge which other people without your background might instead need to evidence with experience. Now is not an ideal time to be seeking entry level professional jobs, but if you are flexible with regards to what exactly you do then you should be able to find something fairly easily.

Make sure your CV is not terrible - most people's are, so this is an easy thing for you to control.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Surely the idea that you need experience to get a job isn't news to people though? It's very easy to do stuff throughout uni to build your CV. It is risky for an employer to hire someone who's never worked before, or at least been in some kind of professional environment- because there's always the chance they may be completely unreliable or just not have any idea about professional norms.

That said, I do agree with previous posters that you should use whatever experience you do have to sell yourself, and that the list of requirements in a job advert usually describe the perfect candidate, and they will often interview people who don't fulfil all the criteria.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (611)
33.74%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (761)
42.02%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (359)
19.82%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.42%

Watched Threads