Tom.Nook
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all! (First time poster here).

So I'm a mature student looking to retrain as a physiotherapist and I'm going to need to study an access course as my first step.

Most of the Uni's I'm interested in attending (based in London) specify "Access to HE Diploma in Science".

I've found a course which is "Access to Allied Health", the graded units are in biology (30) and psychology (15). Does anyone know if a course like this will meet the requirement of 'science', or do I need to study a more specific science based course routed in biology/chemistry/physics?

Any advice appreciated - I've tried searching for the answer/reaching out to the Uni's, but I'm finding it difficult to find a straight answer.
Last edited by Tom.Nook; 1 year ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sam.hop)
Hi all! (First time poster here).

So I'm a mature student looking to retrain as a physiotherapist and I'm going to need to study an access course as my first step.

Most of the Uni's I'm interested in attending (based in London) specify "Access to HE Diploma in Science".

I've found a course which is "Access to Allied Health", the graded units are in biology (30) and psychology (15). Does anyone know if a course like this will meet the requirement of 'science', or do I need to study a more specific science based course routed in biology/chemistry/physics?

Any advice appreciated - I've tried searching for the answer/reaching out to the Uni's, but I'm finding it difficult to find a straight answer.
Only the unis can tell you, the entrance pages should make it clear.
The difference is that access to health tends to include about 1x A levels worth of science, so its good for nursing and associated healthcare. There is a reasonable chance it will be ok for physio, but the only people who can confirm this are your target unis.or ask them. Normally where it specifies access it is quite clear on what they want.
Tom.Nook
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks both for your replies! The entry requirements pages for the Unis I'm looking at are slightly vague and I think it's probably just me over thinking it - so I'll keep trying to contact them one by one to confirm.

The good news is that I've been at the virtual open day for LSBU today and I managed to confirm with the course leader for Physiotherapy that the Allied Health Diploma was suitable - I had to send him the unit breakdown so he could check the science content. Really helpful!
noo000b
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Tom.Nook)
Thanks both for your replies! The entry requirements pages for the Unis I'm looking at are slightly vague and I think it's probably just me over thinking it - so I'll keep trying to contact them one by one to confirm.

The good news is that I've been at the virtual open day for LSBU today and I managed to confirm with the course leader for Physiotherapy that the Allied Health Diploma was suitable - I had to send him the unit breakdown so he could check the science content. Really helpful!
Hi Tom.Nook - I also plan to complete an Access Course with DLC to apply for physiotherapy. Did you end up studying the Access to Allied Health Professions course? I am trying to decide between Access to Science Option 1 or Access to Allied Health Professions Option 2. I'd rather go with the latter but it seems like quite a few unis prefer an Access to Science according to the entry requirements pages! I'm hoping to apply to Kings, St Georges, LSBU, UEL or UWE but looks like LSBU and UEL prefer the Access to Science on their entry requirements page...would be grateful for any advice you may have!
Tom.Nook
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by noo000b)
Hi Tom.Nook - I also plan to complete an Access Course with DLC to apply for physiotherapy. Did you end up studying the Access to Allied Health Professions course? I am trying to decide between Access to Science Option 1 or Access to Allied Health Professions Option 2. I'd rather go with the latter but it seems like quite a few unis prefer an Access to Science according to the entry requirements pages! I'm hoping to apply to Kings, St Georges, LSBU, UEL or UWE but looks like LSBU and UEL prefer the Access to Science on their entry requirements page...would be grateful for any advice you may have!
Hi noo000b - I did the Allied Health Professions Option which is made up of predominantly made up of Biology and Psychology. I sent the units outline to the universities to double check they were happy with them first, and even though LSBU/UEL seem to say "Access to Science" on their entry requirements page, they were happy to confirm that the Access to Allied Health Professions met the criteria for the course. I applied to King's, St. Georges, LSBU, Brunel and UEL and have been offered a place to all of them for September. I hope that's helpful. Good luck with your applications!
noo000b
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Tom.Nook)
Hi noo000b - I did the Allied Health Professions Option which is made up of predominantly made up of Biology and Psychology. I sent the units outline to the universities to double check they were happy with them first, and even though LSBU/UEL seem to say "Access to Science" on their entry requirements page, they were happy to confirm that the Access to Allied Health Professions met the criteria for the course. I applied to King's, St. Georges, LSBU, Brunel and UEL and have been offered a place to all of them for September. I hope that's helpful. Good luck with your applications!
Thanks so much - that's helpful to know! Well done on all your offers and best of luck in September.
Tom.Nook
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by noo000b)
Thanks so much - that's helpful to know! Well done on all your offers and best of luck in September.
No problem at all! If you have any other questions further down the line feel free to shoot me a message
Le_xo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I completed an Access Course last year in Allied Health professions last year. the course was provided by ascentis so assuming you did that you would definitely be able to go into physiotherapy with it. ill be honest with you, certain universities ask for different modules (which I wasn't aware of until I had to enquire further). I have been accepted into cardiff but rejected from Nottingham as they didn't want to include 'pharmaceuticals' in with my biology. So it is definitely down to the individual university on what they want to accept
noo000b
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thanks! I’ll do my best to check with the course leaders / unis beforehand to ensure the modules are acceptable. Thanks again for the tip!
SS47
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey everyone!

I'm also a student or the Access to HE Healthcare Professionals at Stonebridge College! I've applied to Kings, St George's, Nottingham (foundation accepted, 3 year course rejected because I didn't check the biology units requirements!) & Southampton. I have an interview with St George's soon.

If anyone has applied to SGUL & have done the MMI interview, feel free to drop any tips! Thank you
amyheran1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by SS47)
Hey everyone!

I'm also a student or the Access to HE Healthcare Professionals at Stonebridge College! I've applied to Kings, St George's, Nottingham (foundation accepted, 3 year course rejected because I didn't check the biology units requirements!) & Southampton. I have an interview with St George's soon.

If anyone has applied to SGUL & have done the MMI interview, feel free to drop any tips! Thank you
heyyy i saw u said you got accepted to nottingham foundation congrats! I did too and was planning on firming, If you are too can i get ur insta or something? Ive also met another girl whos doing it next year, making friends sooner rather than later would be nice lolll
Emmajane82
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I'm a mature student too. I emailed the university I wanted to apply to and told them the qualifications I had and asked what I would need to be considered for the course. I studied the SK299 Human Biology at the open university. You may be eligible for funding too depending on your income.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (40)
5.96%
Uncertainty around my education (78)
11.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (72)
10.73%
Lack of purpose or motivation (85)
12.67%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (37)
5.51%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (37)
5.51%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (72)
10.73%
Financial worries (42)
6.26%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (29)
4.32%
Exposure to negative news/social media (40)
5.96%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (21)
3.13%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (65)
9.69%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (53)
7.9%

Watched Threads