Textiles GCSE 2020-2021 (PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Watch
Failingschool77
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
So I'm studying textile GCSE and my exam board is OCR.
We have three contexts to do and I choose the climate change one but I have no idea what to make. I have no inspiration at all (The contexts were not great) and I'm really stuck. We keep moving forward with the project so I need to decide but I really have no clue. Any ideas????
christyg2403
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi. I did OCR Textiles last year for my GCSE's and agree with you when you say the contexts aren't too great. Like mine was called 'smarter living'??
For climate change, you can look into materials that are sustainable and recyclable. It doesn't have to be a completely brand new thing as long as there are new concepts within it.

MAKE SURE YOU INCORPORATE THE 5R'S: refuse, reuse, recycle, rethink, reduce

Some ideas are:
- you could make jeans/ a bag/ oversized denim jacket with recycled materials as those are products you could work a variety of materials into in patches.
- you could redesign a product that is usually made of single-use plastics with sustainable materials instead.
- create a product that could encourage others to be more proactive of climate change e.g. switching off lights, using the car less, buying local food etc.

Also, hand stitch all of the smaller components to ensure you are saving energy that would be wasted when using a sewing machine.

As long as you talk about how your product will contribute to minimising climate change, it could be anything really. Look into ways that the fashion industry can reduce climate change on this site:
https://www.commonobjective.co/artic...climate-change

I managed to get 9 in my NEA and I made something that's already a widespread product. What set me apart was my coursework portfolio/ presentation because the research and planning makes up most of the grade. I didn't even finish stitching - I stapled it together!
(Original post by Failingschool77)
So I'm studying textile GCSE and my exam board is OCR.
We have three contexts to do and I choose the climate change one but I have no idea what to make. I have no inspiration at all (The contexts were not great) and I'm really stuck. We keep moving forward with the project so I need to decide but I really have no clue. Any ideas????
Failingschool77
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by christyg2403)
Hi. I did OCR Textiles last year for my GCSE's and agree with you when you say the contexts aren't too great. Like mine was called 'smarter living'??
For climate change, you can look into materials that are sustainable and recyclable. It doesn't have to be a completely brand new thing as long as there are new concepts within it.

MAKE SURE YOU INCORPORATE THE 5R'S: refuse, reuse, recycle, rethink, reduce

Some ideas are:
- you could make jeans/ a bag/ oversized denim jacket with recycled materials as those are products you could work a variety of materials into in patches.
- you could redesign a product that is usually made of single-use plastics with sustainable materials instead.
- create a product that could encourage others to be more proactive of climate change e.g. switching off lights, using the car less, buying local food etc.

Also, hand stitch all of the smaller components to ensure you are saving energy that would be wasted when using a sewing machine.

As long as you talk about how your product will contribute to minimising climate change, it could be anything really. Look into ways that the fashion industry can reduce climate change on this site:
https://www.commonobjective.co/artic...climate-change

I managed to get 9 in my NEA and I made something that's already a widespread product. What set me apart was my coursework portfolio/ presentation because the research and planning makes up most of the grade. I didn't even finish stitching - I stapled it together!
Thank you so much!!!
I will look into different ways to reduce waste
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (674)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads