Turn on thread page Beta

How safe is general anaesthetic? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Well my dogs really poorly and is booked in for surgery on Tuesday. My only worry is shes 13, will there be problems with the anaesthetic because of her age or anything?

Any help much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I believe it depends on the individual although I've heard breeds like pugs, bulldogs etc are risky because of the common breathing issues with these breeds.

In general I would say the riskiest time is when animals are very young or very old. Now it would help to know what breed this dog is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachd_22)
    Well my dogs really poorly and is booked in for surgery on Tuesday. My only worry is shes 13, will there be problems with the anaesthetic because of her age or anything?

Any help much appreciated.
    If there are any concerns/dangers the vet WILL have discussed these at the consultation. If they didn't mention anything then it's of little concern.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    If there are any concerns/dangers the vet WILL have discussed these at the consultation. If they didn't mention anything then it's of little concern.
    well he said last year that it wasn't recommended for my dog to have anaesthetic so we decided against having a lump removed.

this time, we he didn't seem at all concerned. which is why i'm slightly worried.

shes a cocker spaniel by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachd_22)
    well he said last year that it wasn't recommended for my dog to have anaesthetic so we decided against having a lump removed.

this time, we he didn't seem at all concerned. which is why i'm slightly worried.

shes a cocker spaniel by the way.
    At the end of the day it's up to your vet. If he's comfortable operating and taking responsibility for what happens, then chance is on your side. We are after all talking about someone with 5+ years of training, plus X years on the job training and surgery, he isn't going to take unnecessary risks, it isn't good for business or his future job prospects.

It is between you and your vet.

If you're not happy by all means withdraw your dog, but accept that things might get worse rather than better.

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm I dunno. I'm just not sure how a year ago she was deemed "unfit for general anaesthetic" as she was said to be too old, but now it seems perfectly fine. ah well, i just hope all goes well.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.