Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question:

has anyone here ever had screening / testing for irlen syndrome? If so could you let me know what it involves / etc.

Only reason is because my dsa needs assessment recomends screening for irlen syndrome, and full testing, overlays, and irlen lenses if neccesary depending on what the screening reveals.

Its not something i know anything much about, excpet that my mum has it, and its something to do with reading. Online search tells me about irlen syndrome but not what a screening test for it involves.

If anyone can help then thanks.

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    sorry i've never heard of this so would only be able to google it (which i'm sure you've already done!)

ReputationRep:
    yep. just bumped it up in case anyone saw it who didnt see it already saw it and knew.

i will just have to wait and find out for myself!

ReputationRep:
    Try Ilora.... Can't think why I think this but for some reason think she might know something about it.

Or it could be me making very strange associations again.

ReputationRep:
    I'm being tested for this on Monday. (it's also known as visual stress)

eden - have you had your test yet/found out what happens?

ReputationRep:
    titch - i had stage 1 - it just involved a chat and looking at some things on paper and stuff. then he gave me a blue overlay. but i havent decided if i want to go for stage 2 yet, which would be for tinted lenses. so i havent even rang to arrange an appointment.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I had stage one today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    Thanks. I had stage one today.
    i hope you found it useful. i finally rang to arrange an appointment for stage 2 today (has only took me a month to get myself to ring them lol!) and i so should have rang them earlier. because now the first appointment they have is in december! And then plus at least a month or so to get the coloured lenses (they have to be sent to america to be tinted). But if its going to be something usefull to do then its worth the wait.

ReputationRep:
    It was very useful, thanks. I just have to find somehwere that does grey lined paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    It was very useful, thanks. I just have to find somehwere that does grey lined paper.
    grey? hmm can't help you there. asda do blue, green, pink, and yellow plain paper. i use the plain pale blue. but havent come across grey anywhere sorry!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Helen Irlen first identified Irlen Syndrome when she worked as an Educational Psychologist, working with adult- learners in California in the early 1980’s. Her research determined that struggling readers could read with greater ease when they covered a page of print with a coloured plastic sheet. The method uses specially formulated coloured overlays or tinted lenses, which can be worn as glasses or contact lenses, to reduce or eliminate perceptual distortions which can make reading, copying, and learning so difficult for many. Irlen Syndrome is not an eye sight difficulty but a problem with the way the brain handles and processes visual information.

Almost 30 years of research has shown that the Irlen Method is known to help many people; around 50% of people with dyslexia and 33% of people on the autistic spectrum can be helped by the Irlen Method. There are also a number of health issues that can be helped by Irlen filter lenses.

A screening assessment (stage 1) takes place to identify the existance of Irlen. The tasks involved are looking at a number of pictures and discussing the difficulties with the pages. There will usually be a part where you are assisted to select the right coloured overlay for you, this will assist with the reading of text from the page but will not give the full benefits you will experience with the Irlen Lenses.

For more information on Irlen SyndromE take a look at the websites on www.irlen.com or www.irlenscotland.co.uk. www.irlen.co.uk

N.B. Only Irlen trained professionals use the Irlen Method. When seeking an Irlen assessment, always ensure that the person carrying out the assessment has been trained and certified in the Irlen Method.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou. and i found my overlay at last today! was inside a book i had on my shelf.

ReputationRep:
    My friend has Irlen syndrome, she wears special dark lenses in her glasses. I'm not actually sure what it is though but she gets terrible headaches so they thought that may be the cause.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redpanda91)
    My friend has Irlen syndrome, she wears special dark lenses in her glasses. I'm not actually sure what it is though but she gets terrible headaches so they thought that may be the cause.
    yes i had the test for lenses today. my tint will be extremely dark - kind of black almost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden)
    yes i had the test for lenses today. my tint will be extremely dark - kind of black almost.
    Yep hers are very very dark brown, I can't see her eyes through them but I'm used to it because I've only really known her with those lenses! Her doctor said she has the worst case of Irlen's that she's ever seen, so yours must be pretty bad too =/

ReputationRep:
    yeh mine are more black looking than brown. they are really dark grey and some blue in there i think. it was very interesting the test though. am looking forward to seeing if they make a difference when i get them.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to get some, but apparantely, they'll make my other eye problems worse or something.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.