moving to Northern Ireland from England

Watch
anonymous3264
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am planning to move to Northern Ireland from England. I do not want to go to uni and currently, I am 18. My parents live in England along with my grandparents so I have nobody out there to stay with. I know I will need to get a job out there but I have no idea where to stay. Has anyone ever moved out there for uni or in general your advice would be helpful
markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello. Why do you want to move to the North of Ireland? You will need a deposit of a good few hundred to put down on a property to rent.I moved here in 1999 with my 2 year old son. I would have found it almost impossible to move here had his father not helped to find us somewhere to live at this end first.
Frostyjoe
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Moving to Northern Ireland will be a big change. Whilst it is similar in way of life, please be aware that you won’t have anywhere near the level of amenities or services that you would get in a typical English community.

Northern Irish people are very friendly but it is a community orientated place where people stick to their own people’s.

I hope you have a good time when you move here.
username2393237
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Frostyjoe)
Moving to Northern Ireland will be a big change. Whilst it is similar in way of life, please be aware that you won’t have anywhere near the level of amenities or services that you would get in a typical English community.

Northern Irish people are very friendly but it is a community orientated place where people stick to their own people’s.

I hope you have a good time when you move here.
People don’t stick to their own communities like they used to. You make Northern Ireland sound like Hicksville.

Why Northern Ireland specifically? It’s going to be difficult to move to a new place without a job or any support.
Frostyjoe
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I went to university in Southern England, it’s nothing like Northern Ireland culturally. I am only telling this person to be prepared for that.

People will be nosy, they will ask you questions about where you are from, why you moved here etc.
username2393237
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I went to university in Southern England, it’s nothing like Northern Ireland culturally. I am only telling this person to be prepared for that.

People will be nosy, they will ask you questions about where you are from, why you moved here etc.
Country areas tend to be more like that. Northern Ireland definitely isn’t the most progressive or exciting place though and I’m not sure why anyone would want to move there.
markova21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
People ALWAYS ask me how I ended up here. They have done so since I moved here in 1999 and if people don't know me, they still ask.
markova21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Actually there are a good few Mancunian women living in Newry. Almost all without exception moved here for some bloke who was from here. A bit like myself !
Son of the Sea
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by markova21)
Actually there are a good few Mancunian women living in Newry. Almost all without exception moved here for some bloke who was from here. A bit like myself !
What can we say, us Irish lads sure are a catch hehe.
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why Northern Ireland? I moved to Scotland for university and 5 years later I've never looked back. It'll be hard. Northern Ireland is a funny place. We talk fast and we're nosey *******s.
Frostyjoe
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by markova21)
Yes I find most English people come here because of family/partner/army. Very rarely do they move here off their own gumption.
markova21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes I find most English people come here because of family/partner/army. Very rarely do they move here off their own gumption.
Well my surname is O'Brien !! My grandparents were from Co. Offaly, and I had wanted to move to Ireland for years. Just so happened that I met a Mayo man who was living up North, and I ended up moving in with him pretty quickly. Things didn't work out ( he was an alcoholic and violent towards me). But I got pregnant after only a few months ( which I was delighted about). Left him and moved back in with my mum in Manchester, for the sake of my unborn. Ended up moving back here as i missed the place, when my son was two, in 1999. Been here ever since.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (56)
28.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.69%
No I am happy with my choice (108)
55.38%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
8.21%

Watched Threads