Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it normal to not find smoking addictive

ReputationRep:
    Well dont do it... then you will see how much of a fiend the little white sticks are

ReputationRep:
    Some people don't find it addictive.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how much you smoke, when you smoke...etc! You wont be addicted if you've smoked for a few months...its okay to smoke in moderation - like anything else!

ReputationRep:
    BS - smoking is addictive and dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D00)
    Is it normal to not find smoking addictive
    there is variation amongst people in how quickly/easily they get addicted to certain drugs.

Just wondering, from the "tone" of the question, you seem as if you're trying to get addicted to smoking? My advice: Don't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by layla_1234)
    BS - smoking is addictive and dangerous.
    Not always, it depends. Most of the time it is, but not everyone find it addictive.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you're doing it right :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daruishraz)
    Depends on how much you smoke, when you smoke...etc! You wont be addicted if you've smoked for a few months...its okay to smoke in moderation - like anything else!
    It's okay to smoke in moderation? Unless you're referring to it's legal status, in which case, I'd like to tell you that it's actually alright to smoke your friggin head off, moderate smoking is how most smokers (if not all) start--leads to addiction.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is normal.

Many people don’t find it addictive at first, even for the first few months depending on their health and the way their body naturally works, but then all of a sudden they realise that they are addicted and can’t stop!

So be careful in thinking that you’ll never get addicted, because once you are, it is very hard to stop.

And I used to be a smoker and my dad has been one for 30 years so I’m qualified to speak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuttygirl)
    Not always, it depends. Most of the time it is, but not everyone find it addictive.
    That's true, as a rule of thumb. But nicotine is servile times more potent than heroin (it's a terrifying number- just can't remember the exact number), and it's addiction is something that is to take very seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I've smoked a fair bit, and it's certainly not a regular thing. Last time I did was 2 months ago and I've not had any urge to since. Obviously if I smoked a pack a day, I would get addicted, but at my current rate of a 10 pack every few weeks I'm not addicted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuttygirl)
    Over time they will

ReputationRep:
    It is rather like inhaling crumbs of toast.

I wouldn't turn the odd cigarette down though. If only to stick up for a beleaguered minority.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, every smoker I've ever met claims to not be addicted to it. And the majority of them that I know well very clearly are, and are trying to delude themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lithium)
    It's okay to smoke in moderation? Unless you're referring to it's legal status, in which case, I'd like to tell you that it's actually alright to smoke your friggin head off, moderate smoking is how most smokers (if not all) start--leads to addiction.
    I smoke in moderation, not everyday. Not every week, just whenever I want to! If you smoke more and more and everyday, you become addicted.

I believe it depends on peoples tolerence, etc. As soon as you feel like you neeeeeed one, etc....just stop! I smoked for 2 whole months, arrived back to UK and stopped in a flash! I dont even have an urge!

If you decide to have some then start on: Marlboros!!

I always have a couple on nights out, don't know why really, just a nice break from dancing/heat inside. I don't have an urge for them though, it wouldn't bother me if i never had one again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Yes. I've smoked a fair bit, and it's certainly not a regular thing. Last time I did was 2 months ago and I've not had any urge to since. Obviously if I smoked a pack a day, I would get addicted, but at my current rate of a 10 pack every few weeks I'm not addicted.
    Salaam...
    The last cig I had was a Bahman Kuchuloooo....loool:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    if you do it fairly regularly and "properly" it is addictive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daruishraz)
    I smoke in moderation, not everyday. Not every week, just whenever I want to! If you smoke more and more and everyday, you become addicted.

I believe it depends on peoples tolerence, etc. As soon as you feel like you neeeeeed one, etc....just stop! I smoked for 2 whole months, arrived back to UK and stopped in a flash! I dont even have an urge!

If you decide to have some then start on: Marlboros!!
    You smoked in moderation for a short period of time. But smoking in moderation for a long time will lead to addiction. This is followed by a development of tolerance, and an increase in the amount of smoking, and then the smoker is no longer smoking "moderately"

What you're saying is smoking for a short period of time may not cause addiction. Duration, frequancy, and amount are all important factors.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 23, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.