Defund The BBC Campaign Created

Watch
Capitalist_Lamb
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
A campaign has been created calling for the The BBC to be defunded. A Twitter account was created which received over 60,000 followers within 24 hours and has already gotten over 70 thousand followers to date.

I believe the movement is wanting to abolish the need to pay for a TV license as the BBC do not provide impartially in all it's output.

Mr Yucel, the founder of the movement, argues that the BBC's output is not politically impartial, stating that “Their definition of impartiality depends on their interpretation of their values." Also stating that “Sadly I don’t think their values match up to the values of the British people which is why I have set this campaign up in the hope of making the BBC aware of where they’re going wrong."

Mr Yucel also went on to state “But don’t get me wrong, this isn’t a reform the BBC campaign, I don’t think personally the BBC deserves anymore chances, we want to scrap the licence fee – that is our sole aim.

Will this likely go anywhere? Probably not. Is it interesting? Certainly.

Source - https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/12...e-fee-payments
Twitter Account - https://twitter.com/defundbbc?lang=en
Daveological
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's amazing how the BBC manages to annoy both sides of the political spectrum at the same time.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Capitalist_Lamb)
A campaign has been created calling for the The BBC to be defunded. A Twitter account was created which received over 60,000 followers within 24 hours and has already gotten over 70 thousand followers to date.

I believe the movement is wanting to abolish the need to pay for a TV license as the BBC do not provide impartially in all it's output.

Mr Yucel, the founder of the movement, argues that the BBC's output is not politically impartial, stating that “Their definition of impartiality depends on their interpretation of their values." Also stating that “Sadly I don’t think their values match up to the values of the British people which is why I have set this campaign up in the hope of making the BBC aware of where they’re going wrong."

Mr Yucel also went on to state “But don’t get me wrong, this isn’t a reform the BBC campaign, I don’t think personally the BBC deserves anymore chances, we want to scrap the licence fee – that is our sole aim.

Will this likely go anywhere? Probably not. Is it interesting? Certainly.

Source - https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/12...e-fee-payments
Twitter Account - https://twitter.com/defundbbc?lang=en
It's a bit of a shame that the references are to the laughing stock that is The Daily Express. This isn't a dig at you, more an observation on which media outlets have picked the story up.
Capitalist_Lamb
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Daveological)
It's amazing how the BBC manages to annoy both sides of the political spectrum at the same time.
I don't think it's totally surprising. When you stay impartial there will always be people who are angry.

(Original post by Reality Check)
It's a bit of a shame that the references are to the laughing stock that is The Daily Express. This isn't a dig at you, more an observation on which media outlets have picked the story up.
I don't know this media organisation. However, at least the story was published as it's quite interesting.
Daveological
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don't think it's totally surprising. When you stay impartial there will always be people who are angry.
True.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

I don't know this media organisation. However, at least the story was published as it's quite interesting.
It's Poisoning the Well, but this gives you a flavour of the reliability or otherwise of this 'source' -

Name:  burka.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  273.7 KB
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
They do make a valid point that non payment of TV licence should not be a criminal matter.

It doesn't really bother me what the BBC chooses to put out, I don't pay for it.
Last edited by DiddyDec; 2 weeks ago
imlikeahermit
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
They're absolute ****houses. I've already signed this but glad it's found its way to here.
Hudds999
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not a fan of the BBC either tbh, their whole BLM coverage on a whole was biased and an absolute joke.
Laurence010401
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
We should have a referendum to decide whether the bbc should remain or not

(Joke)
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I really don't get the hate towards the BBC, imo they are the most reliable and non biased source you can find
Laurence010401
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by The RAR)
I really don't get the hate towards the BBC, imo they are the most reliable and non biased source you can find
That’s how it appears to me too

We’re probably about to recieve loads of hate and abuse haha
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Daveological)
Usually tends to show they're doing something right to be honest. Although their more recent coverage has been a touch questionable.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Compared to the DM and Fox? Never
Hudds999
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
‘27 police officers injured during largely peaceful anti-racism protests in London’ - BBC news a week or two ago. Yeah, not biased at all 🤣. In other news though 4,414 died during largely peaceful invasions of Normandy 76 years ago.
The RAR
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Hudds999)
‘27 police officers injured during largely peaceful anti-racism protests in London’ - BBC news a week or two ago. Yeah, not biased at all 🤣. In other news though 4,414 died during largely peaceful invasions of Normandy 76 years ago.
I do admit the BBC has a slight left wing bias but every news source will be affiliated with a political stance, it's extremely rare to find a news source that is completely not biased.
Regardless of the left wing bias, the BBC is still largely neutral when it reports. They are definitively more trustworthy than the Daily Mail or Fox news imo
Trotsky's Ghost
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
60,000 in 24 hours? That does raise an eyebrow.

If you take a look at the followers, you'll notice lots of accounts with one or more of the following: no profile picture, no posts, just retweets, recently set up, no followers, etc. They tend to indicate bots/fake accounts.

Looks like Mr Yucel has been buying some fake followers to give his campaign the veneer of credibility.
Last edited by Trotsky's Ghost; 2 weeks ago
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Hudds999)
People who think the BBC act in an impartial way are blind and deaf.

It is time for the licence fee to go and be replaced with adverts or subscription.

Then they can hire all the Emily Maitless’ it wants
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I completely agree. The idea that we have to pay the BBC money to watch T.V. even if it isn't on the B.B.C. under threat of imprisonment is insane.
alex282
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I find it crazy that we still have an opt-out system where we are sent threatening letters every year. Whether you reply to them or not they still want to come and walk around your house which is totally unacceptable.

It should be an opt-in system like every other streaming service, the technology was available years ago. A private organisation like that should have no right to threaten you all the time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (65)
19.35%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (72)
21.43%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (62)
18.45%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (70)
20.83%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (34)
10.12%
I haven't started researching yet (33)
9.82%

Watched Threads