Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Today i thought i'd have a look at the fox news website and it is soooooo biased towards the usa and against everything foreign. I'm not even joking.
    Everyone says china's media is biased but this is just as bad.

In the olympics section they put USA top of the medals table, counting the total no. of medals instead of the number of golds (different to every oher country and the official table) n put GB 4th n say Russia have got 18 golds when they only have 17.

Wtf?

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2008sum...ics/index.html

ReputationRep:
    It's not just Fox, every US network is deliberately counting the medal totals incorrectly to put USA on top. It's just part of the national narcissism that's inherent in their culture.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, NBC (which is the olympic broadcaster in the US) also skews the medal table this way. Americans are just ultra-nationalists, a bit like the Russians and Chinese. Their media likewise reflects this fact.

I actually find Fox News funny. It's hard to take seriously and believe it's not satire. I guess the scary thing is that it is real and that millions of Americans use it as their news source. Still, that does explain the fact that George W is in the White House.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, America has officially changed the ranking of the olympics. #1

ReputationRep:
    LOL at their medal table. Thats america for you..

I love watching Bill O'Reilly. "This is the No Spin Zone" my ass

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately America's broadcasters don't have an obligation to fair and balanced reporting, so you get opinionated news shows like O'Reilly's. We'd have a similar problem in Britain without these laws - Sky News is Murdoch-owned, too.

Most of it is subtle - things like the guests they choose - in Britain you'd almost always get one pro and one anti guest, but on Fox they might have two guests with the same outlook. They might make subtle but frequent references to Obama's ethnicity or flaws without sounding utterly biased.
    There are some pretty awful (but amusing clips on youtube):
    http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...E94D79CF7CB44D

Bill O'Reilly is the worst - there's a whole wikipedia page dedicated to his gaffes and controversy.

It's easy to criticise Americans for believing this stuff, but when you're subtly drip-fed this kind of news and subconsciously fed ideas in this way - most of it isn't blatent, O'Reilly's comments often sound perfectly logical - then it's not hard to see why it's so popular.

ReputationRep:
    best thing is, they have the audacity to use the slogans 'america's most trusted news' and more recently, 'we report. you decide'

ReputationRep:
    To be honest - having never really cared about the olympics before I just assumed that the board would be a total medels format. Seems like more sense to me personally.

ReputationRep:
    Fox new is very bias and its also racist

ReputationRep:
    The US flag is bigger than all of the rest. :getmecoat:

Spoiler:
    Show
    :awesome: Kidding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allthewayhome)
    To be honest - having never really cared about the olympics before I just assumed that the board would be a total medels format. Seems like more sense to me personally.
    Why should a gold medal get the same value as a bronze?

It should be gold=5pts silver =3pts bronze=1pt

That would still have China on top.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah we studied Fox news during media A Level, watched a documentry on it, was really funny, the way the newcaster just shuts them up and twists the story

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouKJi...7CB44D&index=8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphrodite007)
    Why should a gold medal get the same value as a bronze?

It should be gold=5pts silver =3pts bronze=1pt

That would still have China on top.
    I meant total athletes receiving medals.

I dont know just always thought it would be that way.

Also, think about it this way - would we do as they did? Probably. Would China? Without a doubt.

ReputationRep:
    'Merica, **** yeah!

ReputationRep:
    **** FAUX News, **** O'Reilly Oh really...he can go suck a ****!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.