The Student Room Group

Bad grade means end?

Not from UK, but I got a grade equivalent to a C in mathematics. I wanted to apply to Cambridge physical natural science. I am predicted the roughly equivalent to a*a*a next year, and in second year maths I got an A (my education system has 3 years). I thought I was gonna do well I the retake, then a frigging pandemic appeared, and I did my best but I guess it wasn't enough. Do you think I still have a chance? I was also sick and had a surgery a few months ago. I know Cambridge isn't everything, but I wanted to at least try, and get an interview at least.
I take the hardest math options, and I guess I will be doing the equivalent to the UK's further mathematics.
I feel so frigging depressed now.
Reply 1
Original post by Lizzon
Not from UK, but I got a grade equivalent to a C in mathematics. I wanted to apply to Cambridge physical natural science. I am predicted the roughly equivalent to a*a*a next year, and in second year maths I got an A (my education system has 3 years). I thought I was gonna do well I the retake, then a frigging pandemic appeared, and I did my best but I guess it wasn't enough. Do you think I still have a chance? I was also sick and had a surgery a few months ago. I know Cambridge isn't everything, but I wanted to at least try, and get an interview at least.
I take the hardest math options, and I guess I will be doing the equivalent to the UK's further mathematics.

I don't see the harm in sending an application away just to try your luck. You will never know what could have been if you don't at least try.
Reply 2
Original post by Lizzon

Make sure to fill in an extenuating circumstances form about your illness/ surgery.

You can definitely still apply. You won't be the only person seriously inconvenienced by the pandemic. You will have the chance to prove your maths ability on the NSAA (application test). This will probably be what the look at for foreign students anyway, since comparing A-Levels to foreign exams is tricky (one might be easier or harder than the other, and they won't have a lot of data on how foreign students who did those exams went on to do in NatSci).
For advice on the NSAA try https://youtu.be/d0bU0M31Rl0
Reply 4
Original post by Sophhhowa
For advice on the NSAA try https://youtu.be/d0bU0M31Rl0

Thank you so much :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending