Turn on thread page Beta

Hate taking driving lessons - watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I hate taking driving lessons , i've failed my test a few times! And i think im just not a driving person. Some of my friends have passed and they show off but i don't let it bother me because i do well at school (get A's and stuff).

But my family keep "pushing" me to take lessons , my dads paying for them and hes wasting his money , cause on the test i get nervous and i just dont have the confidence to drive. Ive taken a few more lessons and they will go into september time and im scared it will interfere with my a-levels i dont know what to do.

I want to have a car , but if i cant drive and if i cant pass and if my heart doesnt want to do it , there is no way i can pass.

Shall i just tell them that i dont want to take lessons ?

ReputationRep:
    maybe you could try changing instructors to make you more confident. If you do stop taking lessons will it be forever because its a very handy skill to have.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I went through a few months of dreading my lessons and willing him not to turn up but I stuck it out and passed eventually. I quite enjoy driving now in fact!

If you really don't want to drive then just tell your parents that, but I wouldn't throw away the experience you've already built up lightly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoombini)
    maybe you could try changing instructors to make you more confident. If you do stop taking lessons will it be forever because its a very handy skill to have.
    I've allready changed instructors - lol

I'm not sure i might start taking them again when i'm like 21+ when i want to but i will need to sit my theory again etc..

ReputationRep:
    all i can say is dont give up now, if you take a break you'll only have to re-learn everything and regain your confidence in driving again in the future, which means more lessons and more money being spent. Im still learning and have been for a while and i know what its like to feel like you're getting nowhere and not picking anything up :s: but im determined not to just give up again. Can you get any private practice at all?

ReputationRep:
    As with all things you should do them when your ready and not do something because someone else wants you to. Give your self some time to build up the motivation again. But don't give up, try talking to your driving instructer for tips and advice about what the issues are with your driving and how you can help yourself. Maybe your head isn't in the right place for driving yet and you need to figure out what your real motivations for taking driving lesons are and try to get into that head space.

ReputationRep:
    i've been in the same sortof situation recently wiv my lessons.
    i havnt had a test yet but it wnt be long nw, nd i find myself gettin mor nd mor nervous.
    i sumtimes feel like urself tht i wanna give up, but i remind myself to think positive nd keep goin. other ppl in my year show off cos they passed in a few months, but i think you shud take ur time with it, considerin once u pass, it's a skill u hav for life (hopefully lol)
    dnt rush nd take it at a steady pace. try nd get plenty of practice outside of lessons.
    if u truly find u cnt manage it, then thts ok. nt everyone likes driving.

ReputationRep:
    check your mirrors

ReputationRep:
    I used to feel like that too. I loved driving, but just detested that lessons. I think you shouldn't give up now because you say you actually want to have a car etc. So, just keep going. You'll eventually pass.

ReputationRep:
    You remind me of me. Just keep at it, it's useful in the end, i still don't like driving, but at least i can when i want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sirus)
    check your mirrors
    I passed a while ago but those very words send shivers down my spine. In fact, expect to see me on BBC London News soon, I'll be the guy who killed his old driving instructor and painted the words 'check your mirrors' in his blood around his house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW8_SW1_EC3)
    I passed a while ago but those very words send shivers down my spine. In fact, expect to see me on BBC London News soon, I'll be the guy who killed his old driving instructor and painted the words 'check your mirrors' in his blood around his house.
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G16)
    I hate taking driving lessons

You may have your answer there, I'm afraid. At the end of the day, it's only you who can decide whether or not you want to continue.

But remember though, all this time you've spent learning? Won't it be great when you finally pass just to think "Yes, I've overcome everything and done it ". It sounds like you're easily of good driving ability if you've taken a few tests, so remaining positive is your best bet, I'd say! It sounds like you're closing to passing, too - if you don't mind me asking, what have you failed on previously? If it's just silly mistakes, then we just need to get you focussed and positive for your next test! I've plenty of friends who've failed multiple tests and plenty who just seem to ace it straight away (*grumbles*).

If you really, really hate driving lessons, and driving tests, then maybe stopping would be sensible - but you just sound so close, it seems a shame to stop now! I wish you success with whichever you decide!

ReputationRep:
    I used to be like you, I hated my driving lessons. I'd get so nervous before my lessons and really dread them. I gave up first time round after a few lessons because I hated them so much, but then a few months later I decided to try again, got a new instructor and just stuck it out. It took me a while as I wasn't a very confident driver, but I got there in the end and I am so glad now that I didn't give up. I love driving now since i've passed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G16)
    I hate taking driving lessons , i've failed my test a few times! And i think im just not a driving person. Some of my friends have passed and they show off but i don't let it bother me because i do well at school (get A's and stuff).

But my family keep "pushing" me to take lessons , my dads paying for them and hes wasting his money , cause on the test i get nervous and i just dont have the confidence to drive. Ive taken a few more lessons and they will go into september time and im scared it will interfere with my a-levels i dont know what to do.

I want to have a car , but if i cant drive and if i cant pass and if my heart doesnt want to do it , there is no way i can pass.

Is there any chance you could practice driving in your parents car (with a qualified driver in the passenger seat obviously)? That way you could get some more practice in and your dad won't have to pay for it apart from petrol. If your parents normally give you lifts to places, you could drive there with one of them in the passenger seat and then they can drive back on their own, so it's not like it will take up much more of their time.
    You sound like you are almost there - in fact you must be if your driving instructor thinks you are capapble of doing the test. I think you should just have some more lessons to get your confidence up and have another go at the test. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    You gotta relax. And remember, that L plate is a seal of immortality and with it you can do no wrong....within reason :p: Just remember that on the day, it's just another stupid test and it means nothing really if you screw up so relax and try your best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G16)

Relax and calm down...

Why dont you try a couple of lessons in a simulater?
    They helped me because i was really nervous about begining to drive with a mind to crashing and dying....

Then just take it slow and built up your confidence

ReputationRep:
    You have started already, so you may aswell continue, think how much your dad must have payed out on your lessons already, it wouldnt be very greatful to say you didnt want to go any further with it. I would stick at it, and try and get somewhere with it, people take their own time with this type of thing. But once you pass you souldnt have to do the test again! If it is purely nerves you are having problems with i would just think of the test as nothing different then a lesson as it really isnt. It worked for me

ReputationRep:
    How about switching to learning to drive automatic cars? It's much easier as there is one less thing to think about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobagnall)
    Why dont you try a couple of lessons in a simulater?
    They helped me because i was really nervous about begining to drive with a mind to crashing and dying....
    She isn't about to start having lessons though, she's at the point where she's doing her test.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2008
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.