The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

FizzBitch
She isn't about to start having lessons though, she's at the point where she's doing her test. :s-smilie:

But shes waiting to take more lessons...

So it mite still help
Reply 21
I would suggest you carry on. I felt REALLY nervous during some of my lessons.. I ended up doing about 50 lessons before i took my test. But i passed with four minors. The trick is to just try and keep calm, its not the end of the world if you fail, just book another, practice practice practice.. and learn to keep calm when driving. Driving isnt difficult, its just sometimes nerves get the better of you, and thats the main way i've seen my mates fail.

Keep at it, you've got this far.. Why stop now and have to pick yourself back up again? It will be twice as hard. Keep at it, and learn to keep calm, just get comfortable driving, if you do not feel comfortable with your instructor, just find another one, ask your friends for recommendations perhaps?

And good luck :smile:
Reply 22
G16
OP
tom_tom_tom
You have started already, so you may aswell continue, think how much your dad must have payed out on your lessons already, it wouldnt be very greatful to say you didnt want to go any further with it. I would stick at it, and try and get somewhere with it, people take their own time with this type of thing. But once you pass you souldnt have to do the test again! If it is purely nerves you are having problems with i would just think of the test as nothing different then a lesson as it really isnt. It worked for me :smile:

But i could pay him back when i get my degree , pay him and give him some more on the side to make up. Hes happy because i'm going to get good grades
Reply 23
G16
OP
talon1579
How about switching to learning to drive automatic cars? It's much easier as there is one less thing to think about.

Thats true , but on the test i might still get nervous . Plus people will laff at me for driving automatic.
Reply 24
I feel the same way OP.

I've had around 45 lessons, and i dread every day. I would actually get up and pace around in the half hour before he was due to arrive, praying he had forgotten our appointment!

Two month ago i was pretty much ready for the test. However, i had a few weeks break and missed lessons etc Eventually i was back to making silly mistakes, and i generally felt horrible while we were driving. My heart really wasn't in it, mainly because my Grandad had been taken into hospital - i wasn't bothered about the Driving, i just wanted to do my hour and get back home.

I had my test scheduled for the 2nd September, but last week i decided to stop and not take it. Two weeks ago i just felt totally not bothered about Driving, and hated doing so. At the start of the lesson i explained my Grandad had been diagnosed with Cancer, and my head really wasn't in it. He told me to call him the next week if i wanted to carry on, if he didnt recieve the call he advised me to cancel the test. Unfortunetly my Grandad died that week, and as you can imagine i did'nt give a dam about the Driving.

So i'm going to wait until Summer when im back from Uni before i start again. I'm going to switch to automatic, as i hate gears! My parents both drive autos so it would be fine.
Reply 25
G16
Thats true , but on the test i might still get nervous . Plus people will laff at me for driving automatic.

Dont take any notice of them! There is absolutely nothing wrong with driving an auto car. Heck, in America its the opposite - they all drive Autos. Why not? They are easier to use, and allow you to concentrate more on the road, hence making it slightly safer.

Even my driving instructor said he was going to buy an auto car, as gears just aren't necessary in busy / congested areas.
Reply 26
Gregpicard
Dont take any notice of them! There is absolutely nothing wrong with driving an auto car. Heck, in America its the opposite - they all drive Autos. Why not? They are easier to use, and allow you to concentrate more on the road, hence making it slightly safer.

Even my driving instructor said he was going to buy an auto car, as gears just aren't necessary in busy / congested areas.

Once you have been driving a while you don't even think about gears, I would disagree that it allows you to concentrate more on the road. 45 lessons is quite alot. I think it was about 15 I had. If I were you I would try do your test before you go away, or you will be back to square one. If you stick at the manual and get it done, then you can drive an automatic - but you will still be able to drive a manual in the future if you need to. Doing the automatic test limits you only to autos. Just something you should think about.
Keep trying, it took me 4 times to pass and I know someone who took their test 7 times before they past but it didn't bother them, they just kept at it and eventually done it, trust me it's great once you've past.
Reply 28
mr_cool
Once you have been driving a while you don't even think about gears, I would disagree that it allows you to concentrate more on the road. 45 lessons is quite alot. I think it was about 15 I had. If I were you I would try do your test before you go away, or you will be back to square one. If you stick at the manual and get it done, then you can drive an automatic - but you will still be able to drive a manual in the future if you need to. Doing the automatic test limits you only to autos. Just something you should think about.

Indeed, although i hate using the gears i can use them perfectly fine.

Yeah its a hell of a lot compared to my friends, which is both mine and the instructors fault. I dont lack the ability, its just our lessons have always been sporadic (Having one lesson one week, being away the next, having two after that, etc). Meaning my progress seems to 'slip back' after each missed week.

I agree, i'm worried i'll forget most of it if i leave it until Summer. However i leave on the 20th September, giving me under a month to sit the test. I really dont feel like driving over the next fortnight due to my Grandad, preparing for uni, etc - Driving has become low on the priorities.

I dont mind, i never had any intention of driving a manual anyway - my parents wanted me to sit a Manual test incase i needed to drive one in an 'emergency' one day. They both have Manual licenses, but drive Automatic BMWs. I think i'd rather stick to that, i tried my Dads car and it's amazingly relaxing and easy to drive :smile:

Thanks for your words though....and sorry for hijacking the thread OP!!!!:s-smilie:
Reply 29
G16
OP
Gregpicard
I feel the same way OP.

I've had around 45 lessons, and i dread every day. I would actually get up and pace around in the half hour before he was due to arrive, praying he had forgotten our appointment!

Two month ago i was pretty much ready for the test. However, i had a few weeks break and missed lessons etc Eventually i was back to making silly mistakes, and i generally felt horrible while we were driving. My heart really wasn't in it, mainly because my Grandad had been taken into hospital - i wasn't bothered about the Driving, i just wanted to do my hour and get back home.

I had my test scheduled for the 2nd September, but last week i decided to stop and not take it. Two weeks ago i just felt totally not bothered about Driving, and hated doing so. At the start of the lesson i explained my Grandad had been diagnosed with Cancer, and my head really wasn't in it. He told me to call him the next week if i wanted to carry on, if he didnt recieve the call he advised me to cancel the test. Unfortunetly my Grandad died that week, and as you can imagine i did'nt give a dam about the Driving.

So i'm going to wait until Summer when im back from Uni before i start again. I'm going to switch to automatic, as i hate gears! My parents both drive autos so it would be fine.

You've got a good family , but my family would make fun of me can call me auto-stacey and make up other names. My brothers would also destory me !
Reply 30
G16
OP
Gregpicard

Thanks for your words though....and sorry for hijacking the thread OP!!!!:s-smilie:

Its arighttt we are all friends here lol.
Some people just aren't natural drivers. I know a lady who passed on her 12th attempt, and then continued to write off her car a week after passing.

Imo, if you're not comfortable as a driver, then you shouldn't be behind the wheel of a car. IMO, driving is a skill that not everyone can and should possess, if they don't have the natural ability and confidence.

If you hate it so much, don't do it.
Reply 32
Gah, I know exactly how you feel. I cancelled a lesson today just because I hate the lessons. I like driving though I just hate the whole 1hour lesson.

So how do you go about learning in an auto? What's the price difference between an auto and a manual?
Reply 33
have you passed your theory? If yes then find another instructor. If no then finish the theory (easiest test I've ever seen in my life) it's mostly common sense.

I scored 49/50 for the multiple choice and 66/75 for hazard perception. Mostly common sense and most people pass first time with no problems.

Then just take lessons slowly. Find an instructor that you understand. If manual is too hard then consider an automatic.
Reply 34
you'll eventually pass, just keep at it.

Latest

Trending

Trending