Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    -£190

Very angry. I've been charged ridiculous amounts for ridiculous things. I've rung them and they don't want to know. Can anyone who went through this offer me some advice as to getting most of this back?

ReputationRep:
    When did/do you get the deposit back? And do you get some sort of letter even if your return is £0 (I expect the full return, but want to know what to look out for, so I know if they've forgotten me)? I was just about to email them. I'm broke and want my monies!

ReputationRep:
    Never mind! I've just checked my bank account and I got £140 back from the £250. *sigh* Not really sure what I lost money for (how did you know you were charged for ridiculous things?), I assume it's for my flatmates setting off the fire alarm once (and a non-flatmate once - but he admitted it and they said the fine would be transferred to him), leaving the kitchen in a state on occasion before the cleaners come in, defacing the ironing board with paint and glitter when making costumes and causing fire hazards by having doorstops (which you're not allowed??) and fairy-lights (they got caught when we set off the fire alarm).
    As far as I know, my room was fine when I left it, and I personally, did nothing that would cause a fine. *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    lol well I am gonna make sure I don't break anything

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I only received £140 back. My room was in perfect condition, and our kitchen was in pretty good shape too. No way did it cost £110 to do a few minor bits of cleaning!!!!!

I knew BGP would do this though. UPP just want to milk all the cash they can from cash-strapped students...

ReputationRep:
    so whats your advice guys? keep the room in tip top shape?

ReputationRep:
    £194.41 - not sure what the deductions were for; though I imagine my flatmates will have left the kitchen in a state and incurred some charges. Still, I seem to have done the best out of anyone so far, which is heartening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    so whats your advice guys? keep the room in tip top shape?
    Well, you're pretty much doomed already if you need to ask how to keep a room in good condition!

ReputationRep:
    well ive got a very poor record of keeping my room tidy at home tbh...i mean i clean it once like every 4 months ..do you think they wud check in studio tho lol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    well ive got a very poor record of keeping my room tidy at home tbh...i mean i clean it once like every 4 months ..do you think they wud check in studio tho lol?
    Yeah they will check your room. Even though they didn't check mine the whole year, most people I know from BGP were checked during the year. They give you one days notice before they visit.

Also, clean your room once a month!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    fire extinguishers that get played with need refilling so that incurs a charge.
    having a dirty kitchen incurs a charge
    leaving the garbage incurs a charge
    any damages to the walls e.g. bluetack, chips etc incur a charge.
    basically if it wasn't in the state you found it, you'll get charged.

ReputationRep:
    £60 for a damaged wall - my wall wasn't damaged anywhere, I know for a fact
    £65 for a damaged desk chair - the only damage I can think of was one of the little plastic pegs broke that holds the back in, and that's poor craftsmanship, not my fault

The communal charges were ridiculous too; £10 for two bags of rubbish in the kitchen (there was none); a chair was burnt apparently - £12; £10 for a broken bin - it wasn't that I remember; £30 for wall damage (why £30 when it was £65 for my room?); plus other ridiculous stuff.

I'm most angry about the two charges to me personally. My room was spotless when I left it. I also got personally charged for a broken ironing board. Not quite sure why of that one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    £60 for a damaged wall - my wall wasn't damaged anywhere, I know for a fact
    £65 for a damaged desk chair - the only damage I can think of was one of the little plastic pegs broke that holds the back in, and that's poor craftsmanship, not my fault

The communal charges were ridiculous too; £10 for two bags of rubbish in the kitchen (there was none); a chair was burnt apparently - £12; £10 for a broken bin - it wasn't that I remember; £30 for wall damage (why £30 when it was £65 for my room?); plus other ridiculous stuff.

I'm most angry about the two charges to me personally. My room was spotless when I left it. I also got personally charged for a broken ironing board. Not quite sure why of that one.
    The communal charges will be shared between your flat - so for example if you were in a flat of six and incurred a cleaning charge of £30 then that would be £5 each. So the £30 wall damage most likely represents a higher amount shared between all of you.

Some of the charges do seem excessive to me though - I can't imagine it costs £30 to take a bin bag to the skip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geoff_yin)
    Also, clean your room once a month!
    Once a month? More like a few times a week, especially if you have people round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philjw)
    Once a month? More like a few times a week, especially if you have people round.
    No I'm specifically talking about hoovering the room, cleaning the bathroom thoroughly and wiping all surfaces (TV, desk, shelves, etc).

Kudos to you if you have time to do that a few times a week!!!

My room is gerenally tidy 24/7 anyway... It's just the dust build-up that's annoying.

ReputationRep:
    do they provide hoovers?

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philjw)
    The communal charges will be shared between your flat - so for example if you were in a flat of six and incurred a cleaning charge of £30 then that would be £5 each. So the £30 wall damage most likely represents a higher amount shared between all of you.

Some of the charges do seem excessive to me though - I can't imagine it costs £30 to take a bin bag to the skip.
    I know, that's why they're communal charges! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geoff_yin)
    Kudos to you if you have time to do that a few times a week!!!
    Well, I am a Theology student...

ReputationRep:
    I know several ex-BGPers who insisted their flat was checked on the day they left, and got on writing what would be charged for.

When they got there deposits back there were several things added to the list (plus the communal charge, which they expected).

A quick letter from one of their parents, who is a Barrister, soon got things changed back, but UPP are absoulte *******s when it comes to this farce.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.