What if the world ended?

Watch
Braces
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
They say that Earth has to end eventually, it will cease to exist when the sun crashes into it. But, since there is no proof of aliens or other humans on other planets, how would the universe exist without the earth?

Name:  images.jpeg-3.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  8.4 KB
Last edited by Braces; 5 months ago
LovelyMrFox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Just because there is no proof of 'aliens' or other life doesnt mean there cant possibly be any. There is a lack of evidence arguing against it as well.
There is so big of a universe, in my eyes we cannot be the only living things. Thats up for debate though :dontknow:

Also, you seem to be implying that just because there is no life to experience the the universe, that it no longer exists. That too is up for debate, if youve ever heard of Schrödinger's Cat Paradox?
SuperiorPotato
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
The Universe doesn't need the Earth to exist tho??
macy_m
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
i'm pretty sure earth wasn't the first planet so nothing will really matter too much
Braces
Rep:
?
(Original post by LovelyMrFox)
Just because there is no proof of 'aliens' or other life doesnt mean there cant possibly be any. There is a lack of evidence arguing against it as well.
There is so big of a universe, in my eyes we cannot be the only living things. Thats up for debate though :dontknow:

Also, you seem to be implying that just because there is no life to experience the the universe, that it no longer exists. That too is up for debate, if youve ever heard of Schrödinger's Cat Paradox?
I know that aliens or other life forms could exist, but currently there is no proof. There are so many planets out there, which for all anyone knows, could be full of life. Yet that is to be discovered. The universe would still exist without the earth, but without life it would never be visited again with such things as rockets. The entire thing really confuses me!
Celtic Conjurer
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
What do you mean how would the universe exist without Earth? It’s an insignificant planet that plays no role in sustaining the universe’s existence so nothing will happen when the planet ends, the universe will continue plodding on.
Braces
Rep:
?
(Original post by WoodlandSorcerer)
What do you mean how would the universe exist without Earth? It’s an insignificant planet that plays no role in sustaining the universe’s existence so nothing will happen when the planet ends, the universe will continue plodding on.
I understand the universe will still continue, but nothing could ever travel through it to get to other planets such as Mars (2031 Nasa) or the moon. As I mentioned, the entire thing puzzles me.
Celtic Conjurer
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Braces)
I understand the universe will still continue, but nothing could ever travel through it to get to other planets such as Mars (2031 Nasa) or the moon. As I mentioned, the entire thing puzzles me.
I don’t get what you’re trying to say in regards to Mars and the moon
Braces
Rep:
?
(Original post by WoodlandSorcerer)
I don’t get what you’re trying to say in regards to Mars and the moon
Just forget it, I'll have to do much research. Thanks for trying though.
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Braces)
I know that aliens or other life forms could exist, but currently there is no proof. There are so many planets out there, which for all anyone knows, could be full of life. Yet that is to be discovered. The universe would still exist without the earth, but without life it would never be visited again with such things as rockets. The entire thing really confuses me!
There is no proof against other life either though, is there? Think about it, the universe is so big. Its still a huge deal when someone lands on the moon! We are only able to see a tiny tiny bit of our universe, so proof would be hard to get to support it, or deny it.

Time is also crazy. So many years have happened since the big bang ( if you believe in that ). 13.7 billion to be exact. And who knows how long the universe will go on for after that. Maybe some other living thing will eventually make a rocket-like structure and fly into space as well.

WoodlandSorcerer made a good point. The earth is small- in the grand scheme of things, it probably wouldnt mean anything for us all to die out. Suns die every day, yet we do not feel the effects of it. I would assume it to be the same when our sun eventually dies.

Also, sorry if I get anything wrong about planets / suns. Im not an astronomy or planetary science expert
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by LovelyMrFox)

I thought John Redwood MP was a Vulcan, apparently?
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
I thought John Redwood MP was a Vulcan, apparently?
OP, this is your answer ^ :teehee:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (717)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (904)
42.78%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (399)
18.88%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.4%

Watched Threads