Poll: Do you agree with this Motion?
As many as are of the opinion, aye. (44)
89.8%
Of the Contrary, no. (2)
4.08%
Abstain. (3)
6.12%
This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago

What is this thread about?
This is a vote in the Model House of Commons (MHoC). This item has already been debated in the House, and is now being voted on by MPs. If you're not an MP, please do not vote or comment here, even if you are able to do so!

What is the MHoC?
It's a political role-playing game where we pretend to be the House of Commons, and it's been going since 2005. We have formed parties, we have elections twice a year, and we debate bills and motions just like the real-life parliament. If you want to know more about how the MHoC works, your first port of call is the user manual. If you'd like to get involved and possibly join a party, you want the welcome thread.

M610 – Driving Theory Test Motion 2020, LPK MP

Since 20th March 2020, theory and practical driving tests have been cancelled for a minimum period of three months due to Covid-19, unless the individual is a critical worker. To be eligible to take a car or motorcycle/moped driving test, an individual must possess a theory test pass certificate number which was awarded within the last 2 years, or they are required to take this test again to obtain a new certificate.

This motion calls upon the Government to either:

• Extend the validity of existing theory test pass certificates so that this two years period only counts the months that driving tests have been permitted by the Government to take place.

Or:

• If an individual's pass certificate expired between the 20th March 2020 and the future date in which the Government permits learner driving exams to recommence, these affected individuals should be able to book their theory test free of charge, but would only be eligible to do this for a duration similar to the amount of time tests have been suspended. Any affected individuals who rebooked their theory test after this period would once again be responsible for paying the theory test fee.

Either of these options will ensure that affected individuals are treated fairly when recommencing their learner driver training. They have been unable to benefit from the typical two years validity period afforded to learner drivers because of Government-imposed restrictions, and reasonable steps should be taken to ensure that they are not financially burdened by this. As a result, either of these options would ensure that the usual two years period still applies, by either extending existing pass certificates or creating strict eligibility requirements for affected individuals to be retested free of charge.
Last edited by Andrew97; 4 months ago
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
An easy aye
Miss Maddie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
My only concern with this is why a limit on theory tests exists. Does extending the limit to drivers on the cusp of the two years expiring pose a hazard? I have voted aye and await the way this is implemented to be safe, assuming it passes and the government listens.
LPK
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
My only concern with this is why a limit on theory tests exists. Does extending the limit to drivers on the cusp of the two years expiring pose a hazard? I have voted aye and await the way this is implemented to be safe, assuming it passes and the government listens.
Aye, that's a fair concern, and is the primary reason I included option two as a back-up just in case there has been a substantive change within that two years period to make retesting preferable. I wasn't aware of any substantive change within the last 2 years when looking into this, but I also concede it isn't an area I am that familiar with so it's plausible I may have missed something.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Aye, a sensible motion.
Cabin19
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Aye
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Aye
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Where's the poll to this Mr speaker Andrew97? I can't see it
Andrew97
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1st superstar)
Where's the poll to this Mr speaker Andrew97? I can't see it
It’s at the top. Try refreshing the page.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
It’s at the top. Try refreshing the page.
I see it now thanks Mr speaker
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I voted to support this motion given the demand being placed on the government is not large but the benefit will extend to thousands.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
The following votes have been removed.

Aye:
El Salvador (Double vote in seat 12)
KingPengiun and Unown Uzer (Not MPs)
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Order, Order!

The Ayes to the right: 41
The Noes to the left: 2
Abstains: 3

The Ayes have it, The Ayes have it. Unlock!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (150)
14.52%
I'm not sure (45)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (308)
29.82%
I have already dropped out (27)
2.61%
I'm not a current university student (503)
48.69%

Watched Threads