ndbank
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Want to go into Sales and Trading IB, or M&A in a IB, or Management Consulting when graduate. Want to do Engineering as keeps options open, but Finance might be easier to get into these areas.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

If I go down Engineering Route will apply for Engineering at Warwick and UCL as main two.

If I go down Finance Route will apply for Finance at LSE, Statistics, Economics and Finance at UCL, and Accounting and Finance at Warwick.

Which out of these two will keep my options open but also allow me the best option to pursue career in Sales and Trading in a IB, or M&A in a IB, or Management Consulting.

Thanks a lot in advance.
ndbank
Rep:
?
Anyone?
ndbank
Rep:
?
Hello?
ndbank
Rep:
?
Bump
CertBroly19
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by ndbank)
Bump
Both degrees are quite good but, if by keeping your options open you mean finance related jobs, I would definitely go with a Economics or Finance degree as it relates to Sales and Trading in a IB, or M&A in a IB, or Management Consulting ect. Would definitely not choose accounting and finance for it. You will probably find you have the best prospects gunning for Economics at LSE. Good luck man!
xSkyFire
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Your degree will have little to no benefit on any of those roles - you can very easily learn what you need to learn independently. It will come down 99% to what kind of experience you've managed to get. Seek as many internships/insight days/spring weeks as possible.
CertBroly19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by xSkyFire)
Your degree will have little to no benefit on any of those roles - you can very easily learn what you need to learn independently. It will come down 99% to what kind of experience you've managed to get. Seek as many internships/insight days/spring weeks as possible.
^^^ this too
Last edited by CertBroly19; 6 months ago
ndbank
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by CertBroly19)
Both degrees are quite good but, if by keeping your options open you mean finance related jobs, I would definitely go with a Economics or Finance degree as it relates to Sales and Trading in a IB, or M&A in a IB, or Management Consulting ect. Would definitely not choose accounting and finance for it. You will probably find you have the best prospects gunning for Economics at LSE. Good luck man!
Thanks a lot for your reply. When I said keep my options open, it was more with regard to engineering as well as finance, as by the time I graduate I have no idea how the job market will be with regard to finance related jobs! Thanks a lot for your advice though!
ndbank
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
^^^ this too
Very helpful to know! Thanks a lot! I hear that getting internships at investment banks is extremely difficult though, would you have any advice on how to secure one? Thanks a lot! 👍
lolarope
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why not accounting & finance
anonuser99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by lolarope)
Why not accounting & finance
He literally said finance. But anyway degree is pretty close to irrelevant for getting a finance role. The only preference is STEM for S&T/quant roles.
kyrasb
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
These are all lower tier unis but Southampton/ Birmingham/ Manchester/ Loughborough for MO/BO roles Which order would you rank them? Some variation of Accounting And finance at all of them. Thanks
anonuser99
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by kyrasb)
These are all lower tier unis but Southampton/ Birmingham/ Manchester/ Loughborough for MO/BO roles Which order would you rank them? Some variation of Accounting And finance at all of them. Thanks
Probably Manny/Lboro neck and neck then Birmingham then Southampton.
kyrasb
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by anonuser99)
Probably Manny/Lboro neck and neck then Birmingham then Southampton.
Thank you how far off is Birmingham from Manchester
anonuser99
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by kyrasb)
Thank you how far off is Birmingham from Manchester
Not 100% but I don't think it's that far if we're talking MO/BO roles.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (193)
58.13%
I don't have everything I need (139)
41.87%

Watched Threads