The Student Room Group

How to dry clothes at uni?

So some of my clothes cant use the tumble dryer and we are not allowed to dry clothes in our room as they say it will cause damp and mold so how do I go about drying my clothes seen as there isnt anywhere to dry them?
Original post by Gillzy
So some of my clothes cant use the tumble dryer and we are not allowed to dry clothes in our room as they say it will cause damp and mold so how do I go about drying my clothes seen as there isnt anywhere to dry them?

See what everyone else does.
Most people just have a hanger and air dry them. Is it in your contract that says you cant dry them like that? Have you asked them the alternative? Am sure the thousands of other students before you have managed to find a way.
Blow dryer
I have clothes like that and I just hang them in my room. I dunno about other washing machines but my clothes don't come out that wet and I've had no problems letting them dry in my room.
Original post by Gillzy

In the dish washer.
Original post by Gillzy

Even though my halls had a clause in the contract that said 'residents should not dry their clothes in their room', almost everyone did. I had an airer that I could fold away when not in use. You could buy a floor-standing airer (usually halls have storage heaters which aren't compatible with clip-on airers), and store it under your bed whenever there's a room inspection if you're worried.
I bought a drying rack.
Fortunately clothes that can't be tumble dried tend to be made of synthetic fabric and hold onto a lot less water than clothes that can be tumble dried like cotton jeans. Most of the water will spin off synthetic clothes in the washing machine and they'll usually air dry fairly quickly in your bedroom and not cause too much of a condensation problem.
I use a drying rack in my room
Hang them out the window or simply put them on the radiator. They don't have cctv in the dorms, so just break the rules.
Original post by Anonymous
Hang them out the window or simply put them on the radiator. They don't have cctv in the dorms, so just break the rules.

It also says no drug's in dorms... And no one listens that either.
Original post by Gillzy

Your thinking about this the wrong way, you should be researching how to dry clothes in room without causing mold.

No one is going to be able to monitor and prohibit you from drying clothes... Besides.... Think of it this way... What do you do with your wet towel, after you shower!?
Reply 12
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Even though my halls had a clause in the contract that said 'residents should not dry their clothes in their room', almost everyone did. I had an airer that I could fold away when not in use. You could buy a floor-standing airer (usually halls have storage heaters which aren't compatible with clip-on airers), and store it under your bed whenever there's a room inspection if you're worried.

Hey Phoenix thank for the reply, you went to marjons right? So I presume that was their halls? Or have I got that completely wrong?
Reply 13
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Your thinking about this the wrong way, you should be researching how to dry clothes in room without causing mold.

No one is going to be able to monitor and prohibit you from drying clothes... Besides.... Think of it this way... What do you do with your wet towel, after you shower!?

Normally I chuck it on the floor and let someone else pick it up 😂
Original post by Gillzy

clothes horse.
Original post by Gillzy
Hey Phoenix thank for the reply, you went to marjons right? So I presume that was their halls? Or have I got that completely wrong?

Yep. It was the same at my master's halls too come to think of it.
Just hang them to dry in your room with the windows open so you don’t get damp. If you don’t get damp they will be none the wiser. Also no one comes around regularly to check this kind of stuff. And if they did they have to give you 24 hours notice.

Tbh from what I know with management, they don’t really care as long as you don’t disturb other students and don’t damage the room.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending