dua12
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi

I need some advice on A levels and Highers and so decided to come to the student room.

Basically my problem is that i don't know whether or not it is possible to do 1 year of a levels and do 1 year of highers up in Scotland and still get into medicine
i use to live up in Scotland but moved down to England 3 years ago, i have completed my GCSE's now , but the problem is that my dad has transfers up and down England and Scotland, and i have the choice to whether or not to study 1 year in England and study 1 year in Scotland But still get into medicine as i am very desperate.

Myself and my dad are worried about myself getting rejected because of the 2 qualifications being uncompleted, also i was wondering if whether or not any of the Scottish schools would take me a year back in order for me to compete my highers before my advanced highers (eg: the people in s5 would be 16 years old and i would be 17)

sorry for all the questions, i'm just so confused.
Adam :))
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, I'm quite bad at this stuff but I know stuff about highers and advanced highers and I've went down England a few times so I know a wee bit about the English education system and how it compares to ours

Highers is essentially the first year of A Levels except it's a one year course compared to A Levels which are two. Generally I never really saw any difference between A Level and Higher/Advanced Higher science subjects. If you're planning on doing Highers in the first year then A Levels in the next then I think that this is very possible. You could also tell your teacher about this and ask him about A Levels so that you're more prepared for it when you're back in England

Have you considered college? If you wanted to, you could do your Highers in S6 and then start your Advanced Highers in college. And I think that it would be possible for schools to push you back a year, I'm transitioning into S6 and I know a few people that are about to turn 18
Fermion.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by dua12)
Hi

I need some advice on A levels and Highers and so decided to come to the student room.

Basically my problem is that i don't know whether or not it is possible to do 1 year of a levels and do 1 year of highers up in Scotland and still get into medicine
i use to live up in Scotland but moved down to England 3 years ago, i have completed my GCSE's now , but the problem is that my dad has transfers up and down England and Scotland, and i have the choice to whether or not to study 1 year in England and study 1 year in Scotland But still get into medicine as i am very desperate.

Myself and my dad are worried about myself getting rejected because of the 2 qualifications being uncompleted, also i was wondering if whether or not any of the Scottish schools would take me a year back in order for me to compete my highers before my advanced highers (eg: the people in s5 would be 16 years old and i would be 17)

sorry for all the questions, i'm just
Just do highers and advanced highers and go to college if necessary. I resat a year because of home issues so it is possible, but I was 17 when I was in S6.

Highers = AS Levels
Advanced highers = A2 Levels

You may need to just phone the university and ask if they would accept your proposition.
Last edited by Fermion.; 2 weeks ago
dua12
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
thanks for all the info
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (22)
8.53%
Confident (31)
12.02%
Indifferent (45)
17.44%
Unsure (68)
26.36%
Worried (92)
35.66%

Watched Threads