The Student Room Group

Occupational health assessment for paramedic course

I want to apply to a paramedic course next year and I understand that I have to pass checks with occupational health. I’ve suffered from anxiety and depression for the last few years and have been on a low dosage of anti-depressants for a few years as well. Obviously I plan on declaring this as I want to be honest, but I’m worried if it’ll effect my application and may put them off taking me on because they might think I’m not mentally fit enough. Can anyone shed some light on the process?
Original post by Sianwilliams97
I want to apply to a paramedic course next year and I understand that I have to pass checks with occupational health. I’ve suffered from anxiety and depression for the last few years and have been on a low dosage of anti-depressants for a few years as well. Obviously I plan on declaring this as I want to be honest, but I’m worried if it’ll effect my application and may put them off taking me on because they might think I’m not mentally fit enough. Can anyone shed some light on the process?

Hi,

I haven't been through the process for a paramedic course, but I've been through a similar process for teacher training. In general, most well controlled mental health conditions aren't a problem in these circumstances. AFIAK, the fact that you have sought help in the past will be seen as a positive.

The point of these assessments isn't usually to bar people from professions, but to make sure you won't be harmed by the course, and to make sure the uni can put appropriate support in place for you. There are conditions which will be a barrier to people becoming paramedics, but generally it would be things which mean you wouldn't be up to the job physically, or would be at a greater risk of infection and so on.

I hope that reassures you a bit!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending