Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    Well in my GCSE's i got a b, 8 c's and an e in maths ... is that ok?

    I'm kind of annoyed with myself with having a 'not bothered' careless attitude towards school and GCSE's, and I regret not having worked hard during school, but I'm just wondering whether this could affect the subjects I would like to take in college ...

    I would like to take chemistry and biology ... but i'm just wondering whether the grade I got in maths, could jeopadise or affect my chance of taking these subjects ...
    if your wondering what my career choice is, i would like to end up working as a vetinary surgeon ... i know i will have to work my socks off to do this though, since its soo competitive! Lol

    x x x
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, there's not much Maths in Biology. There's a bit in Chemistry. You might want to consider retaking Maths GCSE though.
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
    evening

    i reckon your results arent bad, but to take bio and chem you have to be half decent at maths and i reckon youl struggle A LOT with an E in maths. what else are you thinking of doing? x
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    College? You'll be lucky to get into a college with an E in maths, you'll certainly not get a university place or a decent job with that grade.
    Offline

    20
    Your results aren't bad
    What else are you thinking of taking? do you any career ambitions at the moment as well?
    If you're going to take Chem at A Level, you may want to retake Maths again..

    Just seen your edit

    Ok, yeah, i'd recommend taking Maths again.
    What subject did you get B in?
    Offline

    15
    ReputationRep:
    You will need to retake Maths until you get a C if you want to go to uni. Your maths shouldn't be much of a problem with Chemistry and Physics - you'd have to ring up your college and ask, though.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    You will have to retake maths.

    I would suggest not taking bio or chem.

    I got a double A* in GCSE double science, did biology at AS and got a D (and dropped it) It is soooo hard, and if you managed a C at GCSE I would worry that you would struggle. Pick easier subjects. Science and maths should only be taken if someone is passionate and skilled in those subjects.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    wouldn't you have to do maths again if you wanted to go to college?
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
    yeah most unis require a C in maths as do most colleges. are you actually serious about being a vet? if you are good luck cos youl need it. retake maths as well.
    Offline

    15
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Priyanka1992)
    wouldn't you have to do maths again if you wanted to go to college?
    My local college offers a resit in Maths so it must be possible to get in without a grade C in it.
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    You havnt really got much chance... Even with no effort, anyone intelligent could get a C in maths. Vet courses are hugely competitive. If you like animals, maybe you could be a Zookeeper?
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    My local college offers a resit in Maths so it must be possible to get in without a grade C in it.
    Oh okay...well i've heard that chemistry at A level involves quite a bit of maths...in fact gcse chemistry had loads of maths in the last two modules, for example moles and empirical formulae...bla bla....but then again they were pretty simple as you're given the formula...however...maths is something i really enjoy and am quite good at.

    If you think you can cope with like formulae stuff then perhaps just go for it...otherwise do maths again...its a core so its pretty important for uni whatever...bye
    Offline

    15
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Priyanka1992)
    Oh okay...well i've heard that chemistry at A level involves quite a bit of maths...in fact gcse chemistry had loads of maths in the last two modules, for example moles and empirical formulae...bla bla....but then again they were pretty simple as you're given the formula...however...maths is something i really enjoy and am quite good at.
    All it really requires is the ability to rearrange formulae and to use a calculator.
    • Community Assistant
    Offline

    20
    ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Loohorsemad)
    Well in my GCSE's i got a b, 8 c's and an e in maths ... is that ok?

    I'm kind of annoyed with myself with having a 'not bothered' careless attitude towards school and GCSE's, and I regret not having worked hard during school, but I'm just wondering whether this could affect the subjects I would like to take in college ...

    I would like to take chemistry and biology ... but i'm just wondering whether the grade I got in maths, could jeopadise or affect the chance of taking these subjects ...
    if your wondering what my career choice is, i would like to end up working as a vetinary surgeon ... i know i will have to work my socks off to do this though, sicne its soo competitive! Lol

    x x x
    Hi Loo,

    As a teacher, I have a problem with schools that let students get to the end of Year 11 without giving them a reality check. I am trying to choose my words carefully to avoid upsetting you but your academic record so far suggests you will not become a vet. It is an incredibly difficult career to get into and the degree courses have very tough requirements (straight A grades at A Level usually).

    Have you considered Veterinary Nursing? Your grades look fine for this except for the E in maths. You need to improve this to a C or above in order to become a Student Veterinary Nurse. I think attaining a C or better in maths needs to be your number one objective now in order to keep lots of career paths open for you.
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LearningMath)
    You havnt really got much chance... Even with no effort, anyone intelligent could get a C in maths. Vet courses are hugely competitive. If you like animals, maybe you could be a Zookeeper?
    That's rather patronising :p:

    OP, like many others have said the grades aren't the best when seriously approaching vet med, but they do not mean the end of the road for you, not by a long shot. If you want it enough, you still have a fair chance
    You will definitely need to retake the maths, as a good grade is required in this.
    There is a post in the vet med forum which will be good for you to read:

    Click Here

    If you can seriously work hard and attain the required A-Levels the GCSEs don't matter so much - but you will always need to meet the basic level demanded.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    All it really requires is the ability to rearrange formulae and to use a calculator.
    Yep. Exactly. Is that for A level as well...or does it get really confusing?

    OP, if you can use a bunch of formuale and stick/swap numbers in them, then you'd be okayy...
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Hi Loo,

    As a teacher, I have a problem with schools that let students get to the end of Year 11 without giving them a reality check. I am trying to choose my words carefully to avoid upsetting you but your academic record so far suggests you will not become a vet. It is an incredibly difficult career to get into and the degree courses have very tough requirements (straight A grades at A Level usually).

    Have you considered Veterinary Nursing? Your grades look fine for this except for the E in maths. You need to improve this to a C or above in order to become a Student Veterinary Nurse. I think attaining a C or better in maths needs to be your number one objective now in order to keep lots of career paths open for you.
    Given that you're a teacher I appreciate that you have a lot more experience in this matter than I do. But there are ways in which the career path can be followed as long as OP is a) serious about achieving the goal b)willing to work very hard and c) she has people being supportive.

    My entire school career was plagued with teachers informing me that veterinary was too difficult a path to follow, and that I should try for something else. I know the same goes for many fellow vet students and wannabes. It really was the bain of my life.
    As it stands my grades are fine for studying veterinary medicine, and according the unis I stand a good-to-fair chance of being successful.

    I understand you want the OP to understand that she is no way in the best of positions right now, and there will be plenty of people with better grades - but diverting her from the career is simply a blind piece of advice.

    There are gateway courses that could be looked into, easily, with those grades - many, many options. Please don't kick people away from their dream of following the subject unless you are fully informed, yourself, of all the options that are available to them (you clearly aren't as "straight A grades" are not required at all).

    I'll agree with you in that the maths retake is necessary, regardless of whether OP tries for veterinary or not - and I'm glad you realise that as inexperienced kids, we do need reality checks. But there are reality checks that contain constructive advice, and reality checks that crush dreams unnecessarily, because the realitychecker has been misinformed themself. Don't be the latter.

    Op, do not take this to mean that you are a dead cert to get in - you aren't, by any stretch of the imagination.
    All I'm saying is, don't give up hope - if you're prepared to work hard enough, things could still happen for you.
    Offline

    13
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyyy)
    Given that you're a teacher I appreciate that you have a lot more experience in this matter than I do. But there are ways in which the career path can be followed as long as OP is a) serious about achieving the goal b)willing to work very hard and c) she has people being supportive.

    My entire school career was plagued with teachers informing me that veterinary was too difficult a path to follow, and that I should try for something else. I know the same goes for many fellow vet students and wannabes. It really was the bain of my life.
    As it stands my grades are fine for studying veterinary medicine, and according the unis I stand a good-to-fair chance of being successful.

    I understand you want the OP to understand that she is no way in the best of positions right now, and there will be plenty of people with better grades - but diverting her from the career is simply a blind piece of advice.

    There are gateway courses that could be looked into, easily, with those grades - many, many options. Please don't kick people away from their dream of following the subject unless you are fully informed, yourself, of all the options that are available to them (you clearly aren't as "straight A grades" are not required at all).

    I'll agree with you in that the maths retake is necessary, regardless of whether OP tries for veterinary or not - and I'm glad you realise that as inexperienced kids, we do need reality checks. But there are reality checks that contain constructive advice, and reality checks that crush dreams unnecessarily, because the realitychecker has been misinformed themself. Don't be the latter.

    Op, do not take this to mean that you are a dead cert to get in - you aren't, by any stretch of the imagination.
    All I'm saying is, don't give up hope - if you're prepared to work hard enough, things could still happen for you.
    Brave woman. You now take full responsibility for the OP physical and mental well-being 10 years down the line. 90% chance of crying in a small flat surronded by GCSE maths revision guides, or 10% chance, a vet.
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophierw)
    College? You'll be lucky to get into a college with an E in maths, you'll certainly not get a university place or a decent job with that grade.
    Well you're completely wrong there. No more needs to be said.
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LearningMath)
    Brave woman. You now take full responsibility for the OP physical and mental well-being 10 years down the line. 90% chance of crying in a small flat surronded by GCSE maths revision guides, or 10% chance, a vet.
    Damn, should have added a disclaimer to that

    Nah, I stand by what I said. The grades aren't enough as they are, not by a long shot. All I want her to know is that there are options there if she's deadly serious.

    Because she will be getting copious numbers of people crushing her. She needs at least one positive point of view :p:
 
 
 

University open days

  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.