MSc Physician Associate Studies at Plymouth University

Watch
nina0996
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is there anyone currently doing PA studies at Plymouth? Would be helpful to find out what the course is like there, how supportive the staff are, what the placement hospitals are like etc.
EllaFermor
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi. I don't currently study here but have been offered a place on the Physician Associate course at Plymouth for Jan 2021. If you have any questions about the application process, I can try and answer them! I would also like to hear some more about the course and chat to anyone else who will also be starting at the same time as me.
KewsN
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by EllaFermor)
Hi. I don't currently study here but have been offered a place on the Physician Associate course at Plymouth for Jan 2021. If you have any questions about the application process, I can try and answer them! I would also like to hear some more about the course and chat to anyone else who will also be starting at the same time as me.
Heya. I am also starting January 2021 and just signed up and posted aswell to see if anyone else was starting! Shame we wouldn’t be meeting before it starts eg. Interview day!

Congratulations on getting your place!
Natalie
debz99
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got accepted also for jan 2021. Congratulations to everyone that got in too.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
Hey guys, if you don't mind me asking do you know how many sponsorship places Plymouth has on offer for Jan 2021 entry?

I'm aware that they are provided through NHS trust and/or GP/private.

Thank you!
KewsN
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey guys, if you don't mind me asking do you know how many sponsorship places Plymouth has on offer for Jan 2021 entry?

I'm aware that they are provided through NHS trust and/or GP/private.

Thank you!
Not a clue!! If you find out let me know too!! Haha
I suppose they won’t know until they start the interview process later on in the year. I think you give them three choices of your preferences in order and hope for the best! Congratulations on a place! X
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by KewsN)
Not a clue!! If you find out let me know too!! Haha
I suppose they won’t know until they start the interview process later on in the year. I think you give them three choices of your preferences in order and hope for the best! Congratulations on a place! X
Hey! Haha I haven’t had an offer yet I’ve only recently made an application! But thanks! Ha. My application is pretty late for this academic year but they said they were still accepting 🤷🏼*♀️

I was hoping some of you might have been told at Interview how many sponsorship places they have?

“Hope for the best” story of my life at the moment haha!!
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
P.s no idea what those weird symbols in my last post are so just ignore them
KewsN
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey! Haha I haven’t had an offer yet I’ve only recently made an application! But thanks! Ha. My application is pretty late for this academic year but they said they were still accepting 🤷🏼*♀️

I was hoping some of you might have been told at Interview how many sponsorship places they have?

“Hope for the best” story of my life at the moment haha!!
I think they do more than one round for interviews so i am sure you will hear back soon?

Usually, they have the interviews and you get told if you get a place or not and then you have your sponsorship interview straight away after with all the trusts however, due to COVID, they will be much later in the year and have been told it will most likely be after September? Sorry I couldn’t be more help!
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by KewsN)
I think they do more than one round for interviews so i am sure you will hear back soon?

Usually, they have the interviews and you get told if you get a place or not and then you have your sponsorship interview straight away after with all the trusts however, due to COVID, they will be much later in the year and have been told it will most likely be after September? Sorry I couldn’t be more help!
Yeah I understand the course doesn't start until January anyway...

Ahhhh ok that's interesting... so they must have a good number of sponsorship places on offer then.

Sadly, due to change in circumstances funding is a big element for me now and I'd ideally need to try and get a sponsorship place.

Do you know where the sponsorship places are offered? I know Yeovil do but do you know of the others?

Thanks for you help!
KewsN
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I understand the course doesn't start until January anyway...

Ahhhh ok that's interesting... so they must have a good number of sponsorship places on offer then.

Sadly, due to change in circumstances funding is a big element for me now and I'd ideally need to try and get a sponsorship place.

Do you know where the sponsorship places are offered? I know Yeovil do but do you know of the others?

Thanks for you help!
It is a shame it’s not all in one day so you know where you stand! I feel like even though I have a place I am on hold until I know what trust I will be at at least, even if I didn’t get a sponsorship place. (Not sure I could afford the both years either so I’m counting on the sponsorship year too!)

I have no idea. They aren’t doing it at Torbay this year (I know that because I work there!) but I’m guessing Cornwall trusts, north Devon, Taunton, Bristol. It’s usually about 9-10 so I would google the trusts in Devon and I’m sure it bring them up. Where do you live? Hopefully it would be near you if you got a place!
Anonymous #2
Report 11 months ago
Has anyone heard anything else from Plymouth?
StarLinyx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I previously considered the PA MSc, but the NHS/government funding model is dreadul. They should cover living costs and tuition fees in the form of a loan/bursary for the two years. If this is too expensive for them, then either cut the number os PAs being trained, or cut the basic salary down a bit.

In the end I went for PhD studies.
KewsN
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I haven’t heard anything from Plymouth still about sponsorship yet. I am thinking it may be end of September/October time as the normal med school courses will be starting soon so no doubt they are concentrating on this first.

And I see what you mean about funding however as it’s postgraduate, then I’m not sure this would ever change. It’s been hard enough for nursing students not to have this bursary for years before they have finally reinstated it and nurses are way more in demand right now! They are now also paying for their fees so why should we not???

I’m not being rude. It’s just my observations though.
StarLinyx
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by KewsN)
I haven’t heard anything from Plymouth still about sponsorship yet. I am thinking it may be end of September/October time as the normal med school courses will be starting soon so no doubt they are concentrating on this first.

And I see what you mean about funding however as it’s postgraduate, then I’m not sure this would ever change. It’s been hard enough for nursing students not to have this bursary for years before they have finally reinstated it and nurses are way more in demand right now! They are now also paying for their fees so why should we not???

I’m not being rude. It’s just my observations though.
They should provide a student loan to cover all costs for the two years, which could easily be recouped from the respectable salary package postgraduation.

In any case, PAs are glorified nurses.
KewsN
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by StarLinyx)
They should provide a student loan to cover all costs for the two years, which could easily be recouped from the respectable salary package postgraduation.

In any case, PAs are glorified nurses.
Your comment is rude and both undermines the two years of hard medical training the PAs go through and three years of hard training nurses go through.

You either haven’t done your research in the job role or have a chip on your shoulder around the wage packet post graduating or something else, who knows!. I have not only shadowed PAs but helped to train them, and I can assure you they are not ‘glorified’ nurses. Nursing is a completely different and respected profession of its own so please take your negativity elsewhere because it’s not wanted or needed here. This is a post for try and bring the students together who are starting this cohort coming.

Many thanks for your contribution.
From a very excited student for jan entry 2021.
P.s. I wonder if you didn’t get into medicine yourself?
StarLinyx
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by KewsN)
Your comment is rude and both undermines the two years of hard medical training the PAs go through and three years of hard training nurses go through.

You either haven’t done your research in the job role or have a chip on your shoulder around the wage packet post graduating or something else, who knows!. I have not only shadowed PAs but helped to train them, and I can assure you they are not ‘glorified’ nurses. Nursing is a completely different and respected profession of its own so please take your negativity elsewhere because it’s not wanted or needed here. This is a post for try and bring the students together who are starting this cohort coming.

I value nurses more than PAs.
KewsN
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Thank you for this, I didn’t want this going off topic either! There is no comparison!!

Anonymous #2
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by KewsN)

Some people needs to be put in their places 👏👏
The role of a PA is just as important as any other role within the hospital. And at the end of the day we’re all working hard to provide the best care possible for our patients, which is the most important thing.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
PAs are virtually the same as junior doctors. I don't see how they can be compared to nurses :dontknow:

Anyway that's not the point of this thread, which is about the PA course at Plymouth - please remain on-topic.

If anyone wanted to discuss the role of PA feel free to make a thread in the Healthcare or Educational Debate forums.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.23%
Uncertainty around my education (67)
11.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.5%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.75%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (30)
5.23%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (61)
10.63%
Financial worries (36)
6.27%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (23)
4.01%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.92%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.61%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (57)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.19%

Watched Threads