The Student Room Group

Could you give me some advice on this piece of igcse descriptive writing? Thanks!

This is for my igcse practice. English is my weakest subject since I don't come from an English background, but I really want to score high grades in English. I had a tough time coping with the time limit given but I've managed to finish this in an hour.

My English teacher did not really give us feedback for this, so it would be great if you can help me figure my level! What grade do you think this is and how can I improve my writing? I would appreciate every feedback given! Thank you!

Imagine you are waiting in a café for a friend who is very late. Describe your surroundings and your thoughts and feelings as you wait. :h:

Patches of symmetrical snowflakes glee through the frosty air as the frigid cotton in the sky outs the toasted sun. Monstrous lines of trees camouflage under their silky white skin, their verdant strips of hair no longer to be found. Foggy mist from the breath suspended into the air as the pedestrian involved in amiable conversations, whilst their cozy cotton boots suffocate in the stocky snow. I glanced across the bleached and unpigmented streets behind a ginormous piece of window, as exuberant as the children on a brumal December.

The sugary sweet aroma of cocoa powder melted in milk evaporated along with the air from the heater and enthusiastically danced around the building, synchronizing with the rhythm of my heartbeat, rapid yet with joy. Bright vibration of the wiggling bell when the door opens displaced the gossips in and out of the building and travels into my pinna.

I sat tight on the wooden chair expecting the arrival of a long-awaiting friend, as my mind began to author stories about the reunion. My fingers swept through the frigid capacitive screen, pinching in and out of the warm-hearted image, anticipating his appearance. My eyes stared frozenly on the image, pupil filled with turquoise and diamonds, roasted skin contrasting with the colorless weather, aligned face features, my heart tap-danced swiftly, increasing its speed exponentially.

The clock hand circled various rounds, the marshmallows melted into the chocolate, the streets gradually silenced, the bell no longer wiggled and the dance performance of my heartbeat came to the end. My mind began to scribble stories of the lack of your appearance. The disgruntled fact pierced my heart deeper and deeper, suffocating my hope and enthusiasm. As the snowflakes fuse with the puddle of unfrosted snow, the purged sun descends, and the bitter moon rises. The last bell rang under my departure, and my shadow faded into the dark on the wintry arctic December.
Reply 1
You've come to the right place. Randomly, my school to iGCSE English Lit and Lang in 2018, and I got a 9, with something like a top 50 grade in the country -- apparently I came 3rd!

'Patches of symmetrical snowflakes glee through the frosty air as the frigid cotton in the sky outs the toasted sun. Monstrous lines of trees camouflage under their silky white skin, their verdant strips of hair no longer to be found. Foggy mist from the breath suspended into the air as the pedestrian involved in amiable conversations, whilst their cozy cotton boots suffocate in the stocky snow. I glanced across the bleached and unpigmented streets behind a ginormous piece of window, as exuberant as the children on a brumal December.'

Okay, drop the unnecessary adjectives. King once called adjectives 'dandelions'; they look good until they cover your garden, then it's too late. If anything, stick to the basics, then layer it. Even though it's descriptive, let there be direction and a character journey, if you pull that off you'll win. All snowflakes are symmetrical, instead use something unusual to start. Love the rest of that line, just cut out a few adjectives to avoid making it decoration. Also, if they trees are monstrous, use this as a narrative, justify your use of language by following it up.

Why are they monstrous? Pick things out in concise detail to keep things both from moving on too fast and getting boring. Pick out people as though they are human, intimacy is important when building a character. Focus on a person in the crowd, or even better, the late friend who is making their way haphazardly towards you, revealing only at the end with a twist that they infact know you. Unpigmented is a useless word, completely extra.

Ingest this, there is too much to give advise on, and we all write differently. This mindset is how I did so well personally.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by OJWayne
You've come to the right place. Randomly, my school to iGCSE English Lit and Lang in 2018, and I got a 9, with something like a top 50 grade in the country -- apparently I came 3rd!

'Patches of symmetrical snowflakes glee through the frosty air as the frigid cotton in the sky outs the toasted sun. Monstrous lines of trees camouflage under their silky white skin, their verdant strips of hair no longer to be found. Foggy mist from the breath suspended into the air as the pedestrian involved in amiable conversations, whilst their cozy cotton boots suffocate in the stocky snow. I glanced across the bleached and unpigmented streets behind a ginormous piece of window, as exuberant as the children on a brumal December.'

Okay, drop the unnecessary adjectives. King once called adjectives 'dandelions'; they look good until they cover your garden, then it's too late. If anything, stick to the basics, then layer it. Even though it's descriptive, let there be direction and a character journey, if you pull that off you'll win. All snowflakes are symmetrical, instead use something unusual to start. Love the rest of that line, just cut out a few adjectives to avoid making it decoration. Also, if they trees are monstrous, use this as a narrative, justify your use of language by following it up.

Why are they monstrous? Pick things out in concise detail to keep things both from moving on too fast and getting boring. Pick out people as though they are human, intimacy is important when building a character. Focus on a person in the crowd, or even better, the late friend who is making their way haphazardly towards you, revealing only at the end with a twist that they infact know you. Unpigmented is a useless word, completely extra.

Ingest this, there is too much to give advise on, and we all write differently. This mindset is how I did so well personally.

Thank you!! This is really helpful!! Really appreciate it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending