Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it the reflection of the sea that makes the sky blue, or is it the reflection of the sky that makes the sea blue?

:woo:

ReputationRep:
    It's neither.

ReputationRep:
    Smurf farts.

ReputationRep:
    The reflection of the sea is what makes the sky blue, as it is reflective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessica_Moss)
    Is it the reflection of the sea that makes the sky blue, or is it the reflection of the sky that makes the sea blue?

http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/sky_blue.html
    http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...1022.Bc.r.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    Then why is the sky blue over my house? My house isn't in the sea. And if the sky weren't reflective, how would it be blue? And why wouldn't clouds be blue from the light reflected off the sea?

ReputationRep:
    It is nothing to do with 'reflection'.
    Wikipedia:
    The sunlit sky appears blue because air scatters short-wavelength light more than longer wavelengths. Since blue light is at the short wavelength end of the visible spectrum, it is more strongly scattered in the atmosphere than long wavelength red light. The result is that the human eye perceives blue when looking toward parts of the sky other than the sun.[1] Near sunrise and sunset, most of the light we see comes in nearly tangent to the Earth's surface, so that the light's path through the atmosphere is so long that much of the blue and even green light is scattered out, leaving the sun rays and the clouds it illuminates red. Therefore, when looking at he sunset and sunrise, you will see the color red more then any of the other colors.

Scattering and absorption are major causes of the attenuation of radiation by the atmosphere. Scattering varies as a function of the ratio of the particle diameter to the wavelength of the radiation. When this ratio is less than about one-tenth, Rayleigh scattering occurs in which the scattering coefficient varies inversely as the fourth power of the wavelength. At larger values of the ratio of particle diameter to wavelength, the scattering varies in a complex fashion described, for spherical particles, by the Mie theory; at a ratio of the order of 10, the laws of geometric optics begin to apply.
    The sky looks blue because the sunlight is refracted (scattered) as it travels into our atmosphere and air refracts more short wavelengths than long wavelengths

The sea reflects the colour of the sky and therefore appears blue on a sunny day (the clearer the water the bluer it will look).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    Then why is the sky blue over my house? My house isn't in the sea. And if the sky weren't reflective, how would it be blue? And why wouldn't clouds be blue from the light reflected off the sea?
    The sky spans the entire world, which is mostly covered in sea, not just the part over your house. It all goes to blue over the distance.

If the sky weren't reflective, it wouldn't be blue. But it is so it is. That's logic, that is.

Clouds aren't reflective. Their fluffy texture prevents it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessica_Moss)

I was told it was the sea reflection :woo:

ReputationRep:
    That's so wierd, I was just thinking exactly that this evening!!! Freakyyyy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)

i was pretty sure it was the other way around........but then my scientific knowledge extends to the birdseye ad where the girl says its light refraction......:confused:

ReputationRep:
    God ran out of green paint.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    Hence why it looks as if the apocalypse had descended on places like Blackpool, Barrow-on-Furness, Aberdeen and Hull?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.