aryanmayur
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm really confused between these two. Brighten me with your knowledge which is good for masters in architecture and living wise both.
thanks
v1ctorvoorh33s
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Strathclyde is a very good university but I haven't heard anything amazing about their architecture courses. Brookes, on the other hand, is also a very good university and their school of architecture is one of the best in the UK.

City-wise, Glasgow is a bad place to live in although the area around Strathclyde is nice while Oxford is a very beautiful city with lots of things to do.

So Brookes, easily.
aryanmayur
Rep:
?
(Original post by V1ct0r)
Strathclyde is a very good university but I haven't heard anything amazing about their architecture courses. Brookes, on the other hand, is also a very good university and their school of architecture is one of the best in the UK.

City-wise, Glasgow is a bad place to live in although the area around Strathclyde is nice while Oxford is a very beautiful city with lots of things to do.

So Brookes, easily.
Strath is on #3 on league table for Architecture which is quite impressive if they are accurate and many of people studying in Brookes suggested not to go Brookes, but yeah oxford living is good but im confused cause of all this. I ll prefer better education rather than living cuz thats what matters most as im paying for the studies.
v1ctorvoorh33s
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by aryanmayur)
Strath is on #3 on league table for Architecture which is quite impressive if they are accurate and many of people studying in Brookes suggested not to go Brookes, but yeah oxford living is good but im confused cause of all this. I ll prefer better education rather than living cuz thats what matters most as im paying for the studies.
It really depends on who you ask. If you ask someone who's doing English literature at Brookes only because he couldn't get into elite universities, then he will not suggest you come to Brookes as some snobs usually take the piss out of Brookes just because it is a former polytechnic. I, myself, would never recommend someone to come to Brookes for an academic subject, like law, economics, English literature, history, etc.

However, if you ask a mechanical engineering student, or an architecture student, or a business management student if they would recommend Brookes, then I assure you the answer will be a big yes. Engineering, architecture, management, and their related courses are Brookes' strongest courses and are very well-known in the UK and in the world.

I would never rely on the complete university ranking, the guardian university ranking or the good university guide. If I need to check a ranking, I would look at international ones like THE and QS but even then they can be inaccurate. Off the top of my head, I know that the Barlett, manchester school of architecture and Sheffield school of architecture are very well-known architecture schools in the UK.

Now, if you look at QS world ranking for architecture

3 - UCL
8 - Manchester school of architecture
9 - Cambridge
23 - Sheffield
38 - Cardiff
59 - Loughborough
64 - Newcastle
66 - Brookes
88 - Bath
101 - 150 - Strathclyde

I trust QS the most because in the same ranking, if you check world top 10, you can see TU Delft and Politecnico di Milano, the two most famous European universities for architecture, with the latter being an alma mater of Renzo Piano, a world-famous Italian architect, whose designs include the Shard building in London. Also, you can see in the list above that all schools, from UCL to Bath, are well-known in the UK for architecture.

So yeah, I fully recommend Brookes for architecture.

If you, however, believe that Brookes' ex-poly status will harm your future prospects (which won't in architecture), then I think you'll be happier at Strathclyde.
Last edited by v1ctorvoorh33s; 1 year ago
aryanmayur
Rep:
?
(Original post by V1ct0r)
It really depends on who you ask. If you ask someone who's doing English literature at Brookes only because he couldn't get into elite universities, then he will not suggest you come to Brookes as some snobs usually take the piss out of Brookes just because it is a former polytechnic. I, myself, would never recommend someone to come to Brookes for an academic subject, like law, economics, English literature, history, etc.

However, if you ask a mechanical engineering student, or an architecture student, or a business management student if they would recommend Brookes, then I assure you the answer will be a big yes. Engineering, architecture, management, and their related courses are Brookes' strongest courses and are very well-known in the UK and in the world.

I would never rely on the complete university ranking, the guardian university ranking or the good university guide. If I need to check a ranking, I would look at international ones like THE and QS but even then they can be inaccurate. Off the top of my head, I know that the Barlett, manchester school of architecture and Sheffield school of architecture are very well-known architecture schools in the UK.

Now, if you look at QS world ranking for architecture

3 - UCL
8 - Manchester school of architecture
9 - Cambridge
23 - Sheffield
38 - Cardiff
59 - Loughborough
64 - Newcastle
66 - Brookes
88 - Bath
101 - 150 - Strathclyde

I trust QS the most because in the same ranking, if you check world top 10, you can see TU Delft and Politecnico di Milano, the two most famous European universities for architecture, with the latter being an alma mater of Renzo Piano, a world-famous Italian architect, whose designs include the Shard building in London. Also, you can see in the list above that all schools, from UCL to Bath, are well-known in the UK for architecture.

So yeah, I fully recommend Brookes for architecture.

If you, however, believe that Brookes' ex-poly status will harm your future prospects (which won't in architecture), then I think you'll be happier at Strathclyde.
This is very wise thankyou. I ll consider these points and make a decision.
CollegelandsGlasgow
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Congratulations on receiving two amazing offers!

Having lived in both Oxford and Glasgow myself, I thought i'd chip in and offer some advice on living in each city.

While Oxford is very beautiful, I found the student experience that that city can offer a bit dull - I find that Glasgow has a little more life about it.

It absolutely depends what you are looking for in your university experience but I think you'll find that Glasgow is more fun than living in Oxford is.

Good luck with whatever you end up choosing.

Warm regards,
Lucy
aryanmayur
Rep:
?
(Original post by CollegelandsGlasgow)
Congratulations on receiving two amazing offers!

Having lived in both Oxford and Glasgow myself, I thought i'd chip in and offer some advice on living in each city.

While Oxford is very beautiful, I found the student experience that that city can offer a bit dull - I find that Glasgow has a little more life about it.

It absolutely depends what you are looking for in your university experience but I think you'll find that Glasgow is more fun than living in Oxford is.

Good luck with whatever you end up choosing.

Warm regards,
Lucy
Thankyouu, that helpsss
aryanmayur
Rep:
?
Up
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.5%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (35)
14.58%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.92%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.17%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.58%

Watched Threads