The Student Room Group

Personal statement advice when switching courses

Hi there, I want to transfer onto a fashion communications course from what I'm doing currently (architecture). Do I need to go into certain depth on specifically why I am transferring onto fashion comms or should I just touch on the skills I learnt from my course this year and not stress too much on the switching and why part.

Also when you're switching courses and writing a PS is there anything different I need to do as compared to writing a PS while in college? Any advice is appreciated
Original post by xnox
Hi there, I want to transfer onto a fashion communications course from what I'm doing currently (architecture). Do I need to go into certain depth on specifically why I am transferring onto fashion comms or should I just touch on the skills I learnt from my course this year and not stress too much on the switching and why part.

Also when you're switching courses and writing a PS is there anything different I need to do as compared to writing a PS while in college? Any advice is appreciated

Mostly focus on the new course- a few sentences on why you want to transfer is fine. I wouldn't focus too much on skills you learned this year, either, unless you feel they are really relevant.
I honestly wouldn't recommend discussing your reasons for transferring at all; it doesn't really tell them anything about your interest in the current course, and you have a limited amount of characters in your PS.

The only situation where it might be relevant to talk about that is if you're trying to apply for second year entry into the new course, where they might want to see you explain how your first year content is equivalent to the first year of the new course. Normally for such applications you should discuss the possibility with the university in question first and will know whether they already think that it is acceptable, so even the it may not be necessary.

Just write as if you were applying to this new course as a school leaver, and just discuss the new course specifically.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending