Fairness of applying to uni next year

Watch
GracefulNapkin102
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Just a general thought, feel free to add your opinions!!

I’m applying to universities for 2021 admission as I’m in lower 6th now, I’ll have to sit exams & I don’t really get to visit open days.

For students who should have taken their a levels this year & are deciding to defer, I think they should also be made to sit exams next year.

I fully understand why people would defer and that it’s a stressful and unprecedented time (lowkey sick of that phrase), but Uni courses are competitive enough without having to apply ‘against’ someone who has their predicted grades and not actual exam results.

Fair enough that special considerations have been made this year but everyone applying for 2021 admission should be on fairly equal ground right?

Please don’t get overly defensive if you’re in upper 6th now, I understand the viewpoint that you still get results based on your learning & im not disputing that but it’s still not the same. Feel free to comment!

Not sure if I phrased this well but you get the gist. Sorry if someone has already started a discussion on this 🖖🏻
renaamz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I've just finished year 13. I do think that it isn't going to be as fair for 2021 applicants and personally I think that people should only be able to defer if they have an actual reason to defer. For example someone I know who has already taken a gap year is taking another one because on the virus and I don't really think that's fair for you guys, yes uni may not be exactly like it usually is but it's not 100% online and freshers will just be done at a later date whereas if loads of people defer then it will be harder for you guys to get into universities. When I first read your comment about making people that want to defer sit the exams I thought ohh that's not a bad idea, however after a minute I realised that it would not work as that would require them studying their A levels for a whole extra year which would just not be fair either and wouldn't work. I really do feel for 2021 applicants and I hope everything works out but yeah that's my view, I don't think universities should be able to hold unconditional offers for students that don't have a valid reason to defer. Good luck!
Last edited by renaamz; 6 months ago
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
People think more students are deferring than actually are - there currently is only a very-slightly-higher-than-normal (2% more) number of people holding deferred places that were previously for 2020 entry. (such an insignificant difference it wouldn't be of any concern were this not going on) It's notable though a lot of people have considered deferrals not many people have gone through with it. I don't think you should be too concerned in this case.

In fact - more people than last year are undoing deferrals.

[source: https://www.fenews.co.uk/press-releases/49360-student-deferral-rates]
username5243714
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
The experience at university will very likely not be what people signed up for. If they want to defer due to this, that is entirely fair. Why should people then spend another year revising people some Y12s don't want it to be more competitive?
renaamz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by _gcx)
People think more students are deferring than actually are - there currently is only a very-slightly-higher-than-normal (2% more) number of people holding deferred places that were previously for 2020 entry. (such an insignificant difference it wouldn't be of any concern were this not going on) It's notable though a lot of people have considered deferrals not many people have gone through with it. I don't think you should be too concerned in this case.

In fact - more people than last year are undoing deferrals.

[source: https://www.fenews.co.uk/press-releases/49360-student-deferral-rates]
That's good, I would I have thought that so many more would defer, I guess since most unis aren't doing everything online it's not as bad as people first thought
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It's also worth noting that while quite a few courses are competitive - competitiveness is often overestimated.

If you apply sensibly and don't apply to all top/aspirational unis, you can, for the most part, expect at least a few offers. (notable exception being courses like medicine) In fact, quite a few courses have the opposite problem and struggle to fill their places, hence a lot of courses in clearing. (and the begging of students to firm by some unis in the form of conditional unconditional offers) Unless deferrals suddenly spike I wouldn't think this would change.
Last edited by _gcx; 6 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (158)
59.62%
I don't have everything I need (107)
40.38%

Watched Threads