The Student Room Group

Feeling a bit low when shouted at by parents

How do you remind yourself that they love you (although they hate you too) when you’ve just been told off? Any tips for healthier thoughts?
Think of all the times they've done something good for you and remember that this is all for your own good not their enjoyment....unless they're bad parents ofc
Reply 2
Have you ever tried to explain to them how it makes you feel?
Getting yelled at by your parents isnt supposed to be 'nice', but if its seriously affecting you, I suggest you talk to them about it. They might now know how awful it makes you feel.
Also know that your parents love you. Sometimes your parents need to put their foot down though.
Reply 3
What did you do?
Ask yourself why your parent shouted.
Have they told you before not to do the same thing?
Are they also having a bad day?
They most certainly don’t hate you.
When a parent shouts it’s usually because they’re frustrated that you haven’t listened when they’ve told you before.
Next time it happens think about why. Then when everyone has calmed down go and quietly talk it through
Reply 5
Original post by Xarao
What did you do?

Not achieved their expected standards of tidiness usefulness and apparently I am unreasonably destructive around the house eg furniture finishes etc
Original post by Anonymous
Not achieved their expected standards of tidiness usefulness and apparently I am unreasonably destructive around the house eg furniture finishes etc

Is it true?
Are you messy and untidy?
Do you spoil furniture?
By putting cups down without mats for example. Or not wiping up spills.
If so then it seems that you know what you’re getting wrong and you need to find ways to stop doing it.
They probably feel that you shouldn’t need to keep being told and that is why they’ve shouted.
Go apologise and then talk. But they don’t hate you
Reply 7
Original post by Sammylou40
Is it true?
Are you messy and untidy?
Do you spoil furniture?
By putting cups down without mats for example. Or not wiping up spills.
If so then it seems that you know what you’re getting wrong and you need to find ways to stop doing it.
They probably feel that you shouldn’t need to keep being told and that is why they’ve shouted.
Go apologise and then talk. But they don’t hate you

Thank you Sammylou yes all true I have to be a better person
Original post by Anonymous
How do you remind yourself that they love you (although they hate you too) when you’ve just been told off? Any tips for healthier thoughts?

Some parents really come on you too strong and they don't even realize it. Whenever this happen, I'd just like to think that they're not very good at handling their emotions and words because of their childhood, how they were raised.
Reply 9
when they shout at u for a reason is coz when u become independent or after marriage they dont want u to come home crying coz of what has happen coz ur husband shouted at u for not cleaning up. so they do these kind of things to help prepare u for the future. and they know u gonna be upste with them for a while but u will make up later but they dont want to see u crying when ur all grown up .
Usually, if your parents are decent they only shout at you because they care for you and love you. And they realise that if they do not shout at you, you might not change your ways which could affect you in the future. Easier to kick bad habits now than in the future.
Original post by sxm.h1
when they shout at u for a reason is coz when u become independent or after marriage they dont want u to come home crying coz of what has happen coz ur husband shouted at u for not cleaning up. so they do these kind of things to help prepare u for the future. and they know u gonna be upste with them for a while but u will make up later but they dont want to see u crying when ur all grown up .

Husband shouldn't be shouting at the wife.
Original post by sxm.h1

I can guarantee you, if my partner shouted at me for not cleaning up, he would be the one going back to his mummy!
Original post by sxm.h1

If my husband shouted at me for not clearing up he’d be wearing a heavy pan on the back of his head
why is it the wife’s job?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending