The Student Room Group

Having to apply for DSA again?

I've not long finished receiving my DSA equipment. I applied for my student finance again today and didn't mark for DSA because I'm not sure what more they can do for me? I've received a lot of equipment, I think everything they can offer me. The uni already knows of my health conditions and they provide some support. I'm pretty certain I don't have any exams for my remaining years in uni too.
Do I still have to reapply? Is it bad if I don't?
I would apply for it and if you don’t use it then that’s okay!

I got in my first and second years 30hrs study skills but in final year was given 30 but only used 10!

Better to ask for it and have it just incase!

But equally if you don’t need it and feel more than confident then don’t apply!

Up to to but I’m my eyes it’s better to ask :smile:
I think you're "supposed" to apply for it every year - that doesn't necessarily mean you'll need the funding from it for every year, but it confirms your eligibility, that your condition is still there and hasn't changed (or if it has, that you still need the support) and ensures if you do need some new equipment or something to be replaced or your situation changes, they will be able to accommodate that (as your funding will be "set up").

It is a bit of a pain gathering all the evidence etc, again (although they told me that photocopies of doctors notes and so on are acceptable so now I make sure to just keep my current one and send a copy of that instead of having to pay for a new one every year!), but I do it just to make sure they know there is no change in my condition, or that if there is a change it requires the continuation of my DSA support.

Although also apparently I was supposed to forward SFEs confirmation email to the OU DSA office this year which I kinda...forgot to do :redface:
Reply 3
It's not really an application process, after your first year you just tick a box that says you want it and don't need to do anything else. It's not like the needs assessment you'll have done before first year. As such, you really have nothing to lose by applying.

Quick Reply

Latest