The Student Room Group

How to afford

How did you afford halls/uni accommodation? Edinburgh uni seems to be pretty expensive and I'm not sure if I'll manage all of the expenses. Thanks x
Go for the cheapest accommodation and work part-time. You could also see if there are any scholarships/bursaries available.
Original post by aamy12
How did you afford halls/uni accommodation? Edinburgh uni seems to be pretty expensive and I'm not sure if I'll manage all of the expenses. Thanks x

Hey @aamy12!

Usually, there are a few options varying in price, for example here at Portsmouth, our prices range from about £99 to £160 a week for first-year halls so you could have a look at what the cheapest options are in the city. If not, private accommodation is usually a lot cheaper. For reference, I paid about £154 a week in my first year for halls and now pay about £110 a week in private accommodation.

A lot of students get part-time jobs to help themselves fund university, and I know some who have a couple of different jobs. I also know a lot of students who work in the summer to save money for their next year at university.

Have you figured out how much maintenance loan you will receive and if it would cover accommodation? There are sometimes other forms of help available as well, like bursary and scholarships which you could be entitled to.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Courtney -- Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by aamy12

Hi @aamy12

For me personally, I stayed in University halls during my first year, a student house in my second year, a rented house during my placement year and private halls during my final year. All of my costs were roughly the same per week (other than my second year house) however my contract duration was substanially shorter during my year in university halls (37 weeks) in comparison to my other years (50-52 weeks)- those summer weeks really added up even when I wasn't living there so I would definitely recommend checking contract duration! Despite the appeal of staying in a cheap student house, I found this to be more costly in the long term as due to the poor state of the house I spent most weekends travelling home!
To fund myself during university, I had some support from my parents, undertook a part-time job and received a scholarship (I would definitely recommend looking to see if you are eligable for any scholarships or bursaries). I also saved money from working over the summer/my placement year to help me further.

Best of luck,

Millie
Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending