can I be fired for working slow and making mistakes been working 3 months now. Retail

Watch
Thnvig
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I’ve been working retail supermarket for 3 months. I have recently been suggested to having adhd by a doctor and he is prescribing me medicine.
Fermion.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Thnvig)
I’ve been working retail supermarket for 3 months. I have recently been suggested to having adhd by a doctor and he is prescribing me medicine.
If you fail your probationary period they can let you go. Maybe make your employer aware of your issues.
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Imagine having to ask if being a poor worker is grounds for getting the sack...
Thnvig
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fermion.)
If you fail your probationary period they can let you go. Maybe make your employer aware of your issues.
I have no probation period though that’s unusual
Thnvig
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheMcSame)
Imagine having to ask if being a poor worker is grounds for getting the sack...
I have valid reasons.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
If you suffer from this and it affects your work and you have medical certification, then definitely make your employer aware if the diagnosis is recent.

Under the Equality Act 2010, an employee with ADHD may be considered to have a disability if their condition has a “substantial” and “long-term” negative effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.

If this is the case, an employer is under a duty to consider making reasonable adjustments to the role in order for the employee to remain in the job. However, an employee may not be aware of their condition meaning an employer may also be unaware. Therefore, poor performance at work may be addressed without taking into account this potential disability. However, if an employer does have knowledge of a worker having ADHD, then there is an obligation to consider what reasonable adjustments need to be made.

It may not give you full protection though as the "substantial" clause is rather subjective and open to interpretation. You will still be expected to perform after the adjustments are made.

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/em...%20activities.
Last edited by uberteknik; 3 months ago
Second_Beauty
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Thnvig)
I have no probation period though that’s unusual
You can be placed on a performance improvement plan after a performance evaluation. If you fail it, you can get sacked. But like someone else said, you should make your disability known to your employer if you’ve been diagnosed while being employed.
petertyerman
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
If you suffer from this and it affects your work and you have medical certification, then definitely make your employer aware if the diagnosis is recent.

Under the Equality Act 2010, an employee with ADHD may be considered to have a disability if their condition has a “substantial” and “long-term” negative effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.

If this is the case, an employer is under a duty to consider making reasonable adjustments to the role in order for the employee to remain in the job. However, an employee may not be aware of their condition meaning an employer may also be unaware. Therefore, poor performance at work may be addressed without taking into account this potential disability. However, if an employer does have knowledge of a worker having ADHD, then there is an obligation to consider what reasonable adjustments need to be made.

It may not give you full protection though as the "substantial" clause is rather subjective and open to interpretation. You will still be expected to perform after the adjustments are made.

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/em...%20activities.
the international classification of disease for ADHD states "The degree of inattention and hyperactivity-impulsivity is outside the limits of normal variation expected for age and level of intellectual functioning. Inattention refers to significant difficulty in sustaining attention to tasks that do not provide a high level of stimulation or frequent rewards, distractability and problems with organisation."
this means to make the diagnosis you are confirming the diagnosis meets the definition of disability required by the equality act as significant is more the "substantial" which is defined as more than minor or trivial in the act.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (87)
31.41%
Less motivated (190)
68.59%

Watched Threads