Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How do you know if you've got one of the top 5 marks in a GCSE subject? Do you get a letter with your results/from the board or does your school tell you when you come back?

My school puts down all the people with top 5 in English Lit in the newsletter, but these people apparantly don't know their mark so it's all very strange.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they are doing them this year. Shame, I got 400/400 (somehow!) in Additional Science

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure these aren't UMS? Can't remember how they work at GCSE

ReputationRep:
    I got Top 5 Eng Lit last year.

There was a letter in with the results.

Head Teacher told me before id read it though. :P

ReputationRep:
    yh I haven't heard of anyone getting a 'Top 5' this year so far, my school usually has one or two.

And I haven't seen anyone on TSR with one either, so that must mean that they aren't doing them this year
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Surely more than 5 people get the top 5 marks for any subject, right? :p: I know so many people who've got the "top 5 marks" in a subject... or does that mean that they've not dropped more than 5 marks? In which case I can understand it.

ReputationRep:
    ^ yeah, it's top five UMS marks

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was in the top 5 UMS for French, I got 355 out of 360 – would this not be a top-5?

I have received no letter or anything from my school, and it was my French teacher that told me of my UMS.

I think it may have been discontinued then – or I would have been informed by now for sure. I always thought it was unfair as only one board did it, but now I wish they hadn’t stopped it lol! Me and my stupid wishes.

ReputationRep:
    when do you get a letter saying if you were in the top 5?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Yeah I was in the top 5 UMS for French, I got 355 out of 360 – would this not be a top-5?
    Assuming that every mark in the top 5 was acheived by at least one person in the country (extremely likely), then no, fraid not Top 5 would be 360, 359, 358, 357, 356. 355's pretty damn good though so I wouldn't sweat about it!

When I got mine they came in the results envelope, but I don't know what the situ is this year.

ReputationRep:
    I got 354 in spanish
    I well wanted a top 5 letter
    I was going to get one aswell because I could have just gone through by coursework and got 90 instead of 87 from my year 10 pieces but he said not to bother lol :p:
    to be fair language GCSEs are far too easy though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldrafiki)
    Assuming that every mark in the top 5 was acheived by at least one person in the country (extremely likely), then no, fraid not Top 5 would be 360, 359, 358, 357, 356. 355's pretty damn good though so I wouldn't sweat about it!

When I got mine they came in the results envelope, but I don't know what the situ is this year.
    Ah yes, that's true I didn't even count the marks from 360 lol.

Well fair enough to those who got that extra UMS. It is very hard at the top end to push for another mark, in the speaking exam for example.

ReputationRep:
    Wait...I still don't get it...

Why does getting 400/400 in one subject does not mean you get in the top 5?

ReputationRep:
    I got 400/400 in RS & English Lit but no prizes so they've probably been discontinued .

ReputationRep:
    That's really annoying! I thought I could get it for RS... meh, never mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caroline147)
    I got 400/400 in RS & English Lit but no prizes so they've probably been discontinued .
    What is WRONG with you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heinsmit)
    What is WRONG with you?
    . Many things; far too many to explain, really .

ReputationRep:
    The school usually gets the letters at the same time as the results, although sometimes I think the exam boards send them later, or possibly the school office/exams officer leaves them in a drawer for a few days :rolleyes: . Sometimes the school puts them in the envelope with the results, other times they wait until you get back to school (if you're staying on for sixth form) and give them out when they give out the actual exam certificates.

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.