The Student Room Group

University Recommendations

It’s quite early for me to be thinking about these things as I am only starting A-Levels next year, but I want to have some places in mind so I have a clear idea by the end of next year. My A-Levels will be in Philosophy, Literature, History and possibly Psychology. I would like to study Philosophy as a major at university with a minor in something like Law, Politics or Literature. So far, I have liked the look of Durham, King’s College London, Oxford, St Andrew’s, LSE, Royal Holloway and Nottingham. I’m wondering if anyone knows of other similar universities I could start to look into, or information about the ones I listed which could prove helpful?
Original post by N.B.
It’s quite early for me to be thinking about these things as I am only starting A-Levels next year, but I want to have some places in mind so I have a clear idea by the end of next year. My A-Levels will be in Philosophy, Literature, History and possibly Psychology. I would like to study Philosophy as a major at university with a minor in something like Law, Politics or Literature. So far, I have liked the look of Durham, King’s College London, Oxford, St Andrew’s, LSE, Royal Holloway and Nottingham. I’m wondering if anyone knows of other similar universities I could start to look into, or information about the ones I listed which could prove helpful?

Keele uni is very prestigious for law
Original post by N.B.

It is a bit early really because you need to identify the course you want to do first and then the uni, and you won't know for sure about the course until you have some experience of A level study and know which subjects you are finding easier and more interesting.

Assuming you continue with your interest in Philosophy, Politics and Law, I would suggest PPL at Kings or Warwick or one of the good unis offering Philosophy & Politics combined like LSE, Durham, York, Leeds or Birmingham

https://warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses-2020/ppl/#:~:text=If%20you%20have%20a%20keen,part%20in%20our%20everyday%20lives.

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/politics-philosophy-and-law-llb
Original post by N.B.

Hi, you are considering some top universities so you are on the right track. Have a look at the Guardian good university guide for guidance. Keele, Warwick and Loughborough pop up in the top 10 for politics so you may want to consider them?
Reply 4
Original post by harrysbar
It is a bit early really because you need to identify the course you want to do first and then the uni, and you won't know for sure about the course until you have some experience of A level study and know which subjects you are finding easier and more interesting.

Assuming you continue with your interest in Philosophy, Politics and Law, I would suggest PPL at Kings or Warwick or one of the good unis offering Philosophy & Politics combined like LSE, Durham, York, Leeds or Birmingham

https://warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses-2020/ppl/#:~:text=If%20you%20have%20a%20keen,part%20in%20our%20everyday%20lives.

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/politics-philosophy-and-law-llb

Thank you for the advice. The course at King’s looks wonderful. I am aware that all of this is very early though! My plan is just to build up some preliminary ideas now so that I’m not rushing any big decisions next year (with any luck).
Original post by N.B.

There is a website called ''What Uni'' my daughter used this to put in her course in the searches. It brings up the course, uni and minimum grade requirements so when you choose your 5 choices, you have at least one or two of them as a back up plan should your grades not turn out as expected (or even have them as a clearing choice if you dont want to pick them as an insurance)
Plus if you put in name of the course in the searches, it also brings up variations too. This came in handy with my daughter. she put in physics with astrophysics, but then popped up physics, particle physics and cosmology masters degree which is she studying this year as prefers the modules better :smile:
She did do Oxford Uniq summer school last year and we saw 6 colleges on open day (a lot of walking lol). One other thing i would mention is to do some open days in year 12. She as glad she did as she got to see more unis and worked out which ones to cross off the shortlist.
Exeter does a flexible combined honours where you can combine most subjects. Cardiff is a decent university likely to offer lower grades.
Reply 7
Original post by Ghostlady
There is a website called ''What Uni'' my daughter used this to put in her course in the searches. It brings up the course, uni and minimum grade requirements so when you choose your 5 choices, you have at least one or two of them as a back up plan should your grades not turn out as expected (or even have them as a clearing choice if you dont want to pick them as an insurance)
Plus if you put in name of the course in the searches, it also brings up variations too. This came in handy with my daughter. she put in physics with astrophysics, but then popped up physics, particle physics and cosmology masters degree which is she studying this year as prefers the modules better :smile:
She did do Oxford Uniq summer school last year and we saw 6 colleges on open day (a lot of walking lol). One other thing i would mention is to do some open days in year 12. She as glad she did as she got to see more unis and worked out which ones to cross off the shortlist.

This is really great. Thank you!
Original post by N.B.

Hi there!

At Keele we offer Philosophy and our course has been ranked in the top 15 for student satisfaction!

At Keele, you’d be able to study Philosophy with English Literature or Politics, but not with Law unfortunately.

If you’d like, you can use this link https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/chat/ to talk to a current Keele student who is studying Philosophy! This may be useful as you’ll be able to ask specific course related questions and get their personal experiences!

If you need anything at all then please don’t hesitate to ask :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Keele Student Ambassador
Hi there!

At Keele we offer Philosophy and our course has been ranked in the top 15 for student satisfaction!

At Keele, you’d be able to study Philosophy with English Literature or Politics, but not with Law unfortunately.

If you’d like, you can use this link https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/chat/ to talk to a current Keele student who is studying Philosophy! This may be useful as you’ll be able to ask specific course related questions and get their personal experiences!

If you need anything at all then please don’t hesitate to ask :smile:

That’s very kind; thank you. I’ll be sure to have a look at the courses!
Original post by N.B.
That’s very kind; thank you. I’ll be sure to have a look at the courses!

Not a problem! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending