The Student Room Group

Don't need A levels for Oxbridge... Class of 2020 can't find a job

Scary to think how an entire oxbridge cohort won't actually have sat A levels... But will be handed them.

While the class of 2020 doesn't even get a graduation or an economy to graduate into.

Sometimes life is all about timing 😂.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Scary to think how an entire oxbridge cohort won't actually have sat A levels... But will be handed them.

While the class of 2020 doesn't even get a graduation or an economy to graduate into.

Whilst I do agree that people graduating this year will have trouble entering the job market, and I do feel bad about the disruption to their careers that this situation will cause, I think it’s very unfair to say that Year 13 students are just going to be ‘handed’ grades and implying that they have it easy (apologies if I’ve misinterpreted you, but that’s what it comes across as?).

First of, they won’t be ‘handed’ them; they have still had to work incredibly hard for two years, teachers can’t just make up these grades - there’s got to be sufficient evidence, multiple teachers have got to approve the grades, and Ofqual will be standardising anyway. It’s also very likely there will be random checks requiring evidence and ensuring no malpractice has happened. So, believe it or not, a lot of top students are actually really disappointed and upset, as the chances of getting straight A*s are much slimmer; standardisation will likely pull grades down, and many more people will probably just be getting 1 or 2 A*s as opposed to the 3 or 4 they may have been able to get, had they sat their exams. I know that about 95% of people I’ve come across who were supposed to sit A Levels this year, are gutted and wish they could have taken them.

Secondly, you imply that it’s ‘scary’ that Year 13 Oxbridge students haven’t sat A Levels, and are implying we’ve had it easy and got like a ‘free pass’ or something? I’m not fully sure what you actually meant/mean, but I will say that Oxbridge offer holders have had their GCSEs scrutinised, have written personal statements, have had to sit difficult entrance tests, have had to get through multiple interviews, may have had to submit additional essays or portfolios, and have had to work hard at A Levels on the assumption that they were expecting to sit them and had high offers to meet. They were one of the first cohorts sitting harder reformed GCSEs, and are also one of the first cohorts sitting harder reformed A Levels. So, despite the fact they may not be sitting their final A Level exams, Year 13 students have still worked really hard, and lots of Oxbridge offer holders have been set work and pre-reading to do; they aren’t twiddling their thumbs and doing nothing for 6 months. As well as this, they are disadvantaged in some other ways too; as the entrance tests/interviews and earlier deadlines mean that lots of Oxbridge students actually prioritise their Uni application over any mock exams, (as the timings usually coincide) this means that compared to other Year 13 students, they have had less time to revise for their mocks, as they had entrance tests and interviews to prepare for right before. Combined with the fact that receiving an offer is what usually motivates people to kick revision up a notch and seriously throw themselves into revising, this likely means lots of offer holders would have not done their best in mocks and improved a lot between mocks vs the real thing, but now as they are partially being judged on their mocks, this makes their situation even more difficult. Furthermore, many Oxbridge offer holders are really concerned about missing their offers; the majority of them are A*AA or A*A*A, meaning they can barely afford to drop a grade, and yet they could be judged and have their grades pulled down based on their school’s prior performance, meaning they could miss their offer through no major fault of their own. So, contrary to what you imply, although I don’t disagree with the fact that the class of 2020 have it hard, it’s just really insensitive to think that Year 13s have it much easier. Yes, at worst, the class of 2020 may not be able to get a job for a few months, but equally, at worst Year 13 will get A Level grades that don’t reflect their ability and years of hard work, and could mean they don’t get into their first choice Uni through no major fault of their own, potentially changing their life plans and hugely impacting the next few years for them.

So, my point is essentially that both year groups have it difficult. Please don’t make assumptions when you have no idea how stressful the situation is for Year 13s; whilst it is fine to acknowledge and be upset about the class of 2020s predicament, please don’t belittle other people’s challenges and the struggles they face from this situation too.
(edited 3 years ago)

The thing with Oxbridge is because they have a rigorous application process including entrance exams & interviews they probably are the least effected by grade fluctuations due to the Cov-19 changes to A-level grades.

Yes for students graduating this year there will be a market squeeze, but I suspect if anyone is well placed to perform well in the market it will be Oxbridge grads.
Original post by Mona123456
Whilst I do agree that people graduating this year will have trouble entering the job market, and I do feel bad about the disruption to their careers that this situation will cause, I think it’s very unfair to say that Year 13 students are just going to be ‘handed’ grades and implying that they have it easy (apologies if I’ve misinterpreted you, but that’s what it comes across as?).

First of, they won’t be ‘handed’ them; they have still had to work incredibly hard for two years, teachers can’t just make up these grades - there’s got to be sufficient evidence, multiple teachers have got to approve the grades, and Ofqual will be standardising anyway. It’s also very likely there will be random checks requiring evidence and ensuring no malpractice has happened. So, believe it or not, a lot of top students are actually really disappointed and upset, as the chances of getting straight A*s are much slimmer; standardisation will likely pull grades down, and many more people will probably just be getting 1 or 2 A*s as opposed to the 3 or 4 they may have been able to get, had they sat their exams. I know that about 95% of people I’ve come across who were supposed to sit A Levels this year, are gutted and wish they could have taken them.

Secondly, you imply that it’s ‘scary’ that Year 13 Oxbridge students haven’t sat A Levels, and are implying we’ve had it easy and got like a ‘free pass’ or something? I’m not fully sure what you actually meant/mean, but I will say that Oxbridge offer holders have had their GCSEs scrutinised, have written personal statements, have had to sit difficult entrance tests, have had to get through multiple interviews, may have had to submit additional essays or portfolios, and have had to work hard at A Levels on the assumption that they were expecting to sit them and had high offers to meet. They were one of the first cohorts sitting harder reformed GCSEs, and are also one of the first cohorts sitting harder reformed A Levels. So, despite the fact they may not be sitting their final A Level exams, Year 13 students have still worked really hard, and lots of Oxbridge offer holders have been set work and pre-reading to do; they aren’t twiddling their thumbs and doing nothing for 6 months. As well as this, they are disadvantaged in some other ways too; as the entrance tests/interviews and earlier deadlines mean that lots of Oxbridge students actually prioritise their Uni application over any mock exams, (as the timings usually coincide) this means that compared to other Year 13 students, they have had less time to revise for their mocks, as they had entrance tests and interviews to prepare for right before. Combined with the fact that receiving an offer is what usually motivates people to kick revision up a notch and seriously throw themselves into revising, this likely means lots of offer holders would have not done their best in mocks and improved a lot between mocks vs the real thing, but now as they are partially being judged on their mocks, this makes their situation even more difficult. Furthermore, many Oxbridge offer holders are really concerned about missing their offers; the majority of them are A*AA or A*A*A, meaning they can barely afford to drop a grade, and yet they could be judged and have their grades pulled down based on their school’s prior performance, meaning they could miss their offer through no major fault of their own. So, contrary to what you imply, although I don’t disagree with the fact that the class of 2020 have it hard, it’s just really insensitive to think that Year 13s have it much easier. Yes, at worst, the class of 2020 may not be able to get a job for a few months, but equally, at worst Year 13 will get A Level grades that don’t reflect their ability and years of hard work, and could mean they don’t get into their first choice Uni through no major fault of their own, potentially changing their life plans and hugely impacting the next few years for them.

So, my point is essentially that both year groups have it difficult. Please don’t make assumptions when you have no idea how stressful the situation is for Year 13s; whilst it is fine to acknowledge and be upset about the class of 2020s predicament, please don’t belittle other people’s challenges and the struggles they face from this situation too.

That's alot of discussion about mocks... And small tests how much easier did you want it to go to Oxbridge..........let's be realistic, everyone has to write PS statements to go to uni, everyone sits mocks... I'll give you the subjective interview bit to see if your an interesting individual oxbridge style....

But the class of 2020 is having their graduations cancelled...flopping into an uneven job market...having to move home and regressing in lifestyle... Postgrad courses aren't even starting till January.
.. By which time the UK could be in lockdown again leading to a lost year..... And employers are alot more tough on gaps in a CV then the safe space of education is going to be standardisation of grades.

Year 13s problems are sorry to say it children's problems, while the class of 2020 is dealing with adulthood problems. Big difference.

Unvariably, previous cohorts have had the pressure of sitting exams and achieving the offer... You've been let off.
Original post by mnot
The thing with Oxbridge is because they have a rigorous application process including entrance exams & interviews they probably are the least effected by grade fluctuations due to the Cov-19 changes to A-level grades.

Yes for students graduating this year there will be a market squeeze, but I suspect if anyone is well placed to perform well in the market it will be Oxbridge grads.

My mistake, my point was Oxbridge entry is super easier but so is all uni entry...

All graduates will have it tough in the job market...more so than oxbridge grads that is so true.

But that's why i think oxbridge entrants this year have gotten a super sweet deal... They get to go to Oxbridge and have all the benefits with alot less work.
My mistake, my point was Oxbridge entry is super easier but so is all uni entry...

All graduates will have it tough in the job market...more so than oxbridge grads that is so true.

But that's why i think oxbridge entrants this year have gotten a super sweet deal... They get to go to Oxbridge and have all the benefits with alot less work.

TBH I think you would have an argument it is easier for mid-tier competitive courses which dont interview and offer to the majority of applicants knowing plenty will miss or firm other unis.

When I see Oxbridge students on the whole im very impressed, and the majority of the students not only hit A*AA but actually exceed the target (which demonstrates on the whole how good the Oxbridge selection process is). I think most Oxbridge candidates wont benefit from this as they would have smashed the requirements.

Will some students get into a uni who would have otherwise rejected them if they had slipped on results day, perhaps, but given its a global pandemic id hardly call it super easy, its just a small bit of fortune some students will get but plenty of other students will also miss out, the whole situation is **** for everybody and a handful of people in the ****pot may get a small bit of fortune.

I don't think that will be true - companies will want people with experience ie those with a year in industry.

What a completely trolling and pointless thread, you've sunk to a new Sunday-boredom low. The entire university cohort "won't actually have sat A levels.... But will be handed them." The situation is the same ofr everyone.

Your journey is Nottingham to the Netherlands, what's your Oxbridge chip for?
Original post by Muttley79
I don't think that will be true - companies will want people with experience ie those with a year in industry.

hopefully lol.
Original post by threeportdrift
What a completely trolling and pointless thread, you've sunk to a new Sunday-boredom low. The entire university cohort "won't actually have sat A levels.... But will be handed them." The situation is the same ofr everyone.

Your journey is Nottingham to the Netherlands, what's your Oxbridge chip for?

I mean how do you get the most valuable degree in the world basically on a technicality......lol smh. But yeah i just made it late last night lol. And yeah i had to suffer through exams to get into lowly Nottingham :smile:.

I think i'm just whining because the graduate market is heavily damaged, and i'm so close...not to mention the fact that i'm a bit envious of those starting undergrad now as they have far longer to recover and chill in uni lol. I have to do applications in what October!
(edited 3 years ago)
Most of the battle for Oxbridge applications is the interview and entrance exams. (except with cambridge maths and STEP - which has still run this year) Meeting the offer isn't really the main struggle for a lot of people (though some able candidates get unlucky and slip, some of these are caught by the pool), plenty of rejects end up meeting or exceeding the offer. (but this isn't sufficient to get into Oxbridge)
I mean how do you get the most valuable degree in the world basically on a technicality......lol smh. But yeah i just made it late last night lol. And yeah i had to suffer through exams to get into lowly Nottingham :smile:.

I think i'm just whining because the graduate market is heavily damaged, and i'm so close...not to mention the fact that i'm a bit envious of those starting undergrad now as they have far longer to recover and chill in uni lol. I have to do applications in what October!

You are so obsessed with Oxbridge

Maybe you should have applied to do a Masters there instead of the Netherlands and got it out of your system
Original post by harrysbar
You are so obsessed with Oxbridge

Maybe you should have applied to do a Masters there instead of the Netherlands and got it out of your system

Noooo i love the Netherlands.... And looking at the lay of the land of UK (Postgrad) higher education... With all these January starts due to the bottom line... I made the correct decision... My flats booked... I've met my roommates uni has been guaranteed to start on time ⌚.

They've even got a great slogan: Online if we can, oncampus if we can.

Might do an MBA there one day though, if my career calls for it which i doubt 🤷*♂️.

P. S. I meant lowly Nottingham sarcastically...since I'm accused of having a bit too much school pride... That's my American element rearing it's head 😂.
(edited 3 years ago)
Yet another Oxbridge hating thread by op, why are any of us surprised? Imagine the uproar if any of us had created threads with wild, untrue assumptions about Nottingham...
Scary to think how an entire Nottingham cohort won't actually have sat A levels... But will be handed them.
😱
Original post by Oxford Mum
Yet another Oxbridge hating thread by op, why are any of us surprised? Imagine the uproar if any of us had created threads with wild, untrue assumptions about Nottingham...

Well according to cronies, like yourself only talented students go to Oxbridge. Stay off my posts.
Original post by stereotypeasian
Scary to think how an entire Nottingham cohort won't actually have sat A levels... But will be handed them.
😱

An entitled generation indeed :u:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending