premier league restarted with black lives matter on jersey and kneeling before KO

Watch
HucktheForde
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Do you think that was necessary? I always thought BLM is an American thing.

I mean in the UK police rarely kill people.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by HucktheForde)

Perhaps its about more than that?
justjas33
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

its about MUCH more than that and it’s 100% not only an American thing. Take some time today to educate yourself please.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The whole of football isn't necessary. It's glorified fetch.

I think what they're doing is appropriate and the right measure of action to take for the sport.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Kill?, rarely, but there isn't really any denying our police have problems with race, the Met notoriously so, and we seem to have reached a point where many people are tired of pretending otherwise.
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
There's a lot of bad things happening in the world - football can't come up with a pre-match ritual for everything.

quite recently we saw that football doesn't want very much being said about powerful authoritarian countries where TV rights to football matches and football merchandise is sold... see what happened to Özil when he tried to say muslim lives should matter in China.

So the message is Black (american) lives matter - but only cos there's not going to be a costly backlash.
NJA
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by justjas33)
its about MUCH more than that and it’s 100% not only an American thing. Take some time today to educate yourself please.
OK, here's what the Wikipedia page of BLM says under Policy Demands:

1) decarceration in the United States through long-term investment in universal health care and public education

2) reparations for slavery in the United States

3) an end to mass surveillance

4) investment in public education not incarceration

5) community control of the police: empowering residents in communities of color to hire and fire police officers and issue subpoenas, decide disciplinary consequences and exercise control over city funding of police.

Is it fair to say that footballers or anyone "taking the knee" should understand and agree with these demands? Many of these footballers live in gated communities with cctv (mass surveillance).
Last edited by NJA; 3 weeks ago
Just my opinion
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Irony of 22 multimillionaires wearing shirts advertising an organisation that as one of its primary aims, is to bring about the end of capitalism.😁
TigerRoll
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm not surprised. If they didn't do it somebody would no doubt find a problem with it. Footballers have a bad enough rep as it is (a lot of it justified).
Just my opinion
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
To have been the only one to not kneel, their balls would have had to be so big as to leave them confused about which one of the 3 at their feet to kick
Last edited by Just my opinion; 3 weeks ago
justjas33
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by NJA)
OK, here's what the Wikipedia page of BLM says under Policy Demands:

1) decarceration in the United States through long-term investment in universal health care and public education

2) reparations for slavery in the United States

3) an end to mass surveillance

4) investment in public education not incarceration

5) community control of the police: empowering residents in communities of color to hire and fire police officers and issue subpoenas, decide disciplinary consequences and exercise control over city funding of police.

Is it fair to say that footballers or anyone "taking the knee" should understand and agree with these demands? Many of these footballers live in gated communities with cctv (mass surveillance).
Yeah and wiki is the end all be all for accurate information!
The footballers and took the knee because they recognise that overall black people are treated as less. To so many people for so many years black lives don’t matter. That act is them showing respect to that and saying “I understand and stand with you.” Pretty sure taking the knee isn’t showing ur alliance to what the BLM wiki says.
Yes issue is worse in the US for reasons that I won’t get into right now but long story short racism just runs deeper there. It doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen here. Maybe google that to educate yourself - but avoid Wikipedia

But anyway - those may be the policies on Wikipedia (who anyone can edit at any time - if I scroll down the page you linked it was literally edited 7 hours ago by some random) but I KNOW that’s not the sole reason for the BLM protests. Look into the official Black Lives Matter website.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
The whole of football isn't necessary. It's glorified fetch.

I think what they're doing is appropriate and the right measure of action to take for the sport.
Isn't taking the knee specifically about police violence against blacks though? This method of protest coming out of America afterall.
TigerRoll
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Isn't taking the knee specifically about police violence against blacks though? This method of protest coming out of America afterall.
I think people are getting confused at which cause they are in support of this month.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
There have been deaths in police custody of black men in the UK, and Ian Wright mentioned names including a French man on yesterday's football focus. Then there are other issues around lesser or ill-treatment of black people.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
It doesn't matter to me what the cause is. I think if the sport is united for a cause then that isn't a problem. They're doing so in a way that doesn't detract from the entertainment of the game and they're harnessing a platform that footballers have held for a long time but not really utilised very much, at least collectively.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It doesn't matter to me what the cause is. I think if the sport is united for a cause then that isn't a problem. They're doing so in a way that doesn't detract from the entertainment of the game and they're harnessing a platform that footballers have held for a long time but not really utilised very much, at least collectively.
Oh i hold no opinion on the sport i felt feel this articular was of showing support seems a bit odd given the very specific nature of it. Could just be me nitpicking though :lol:
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Oh i hold no opinion on the sport i felt feel this articular was of showing support seems a bit odd given the very specific nature of it. Could just be me nitpicking though :lol:
I mean, I remember the England team's "Give Racism the red card" campaign about 15 years ago. Racism has always been an issue that football has involved itself in (and vice versa). What we need to remember here I think is that the purpose of these symbolic gestures isn't to make detailed demands about particular change, but to get other people to talk about this (like in this thread). Political campaigners, politicians, activists can all find the detail in how to progress on this. I wouldn't call footballers activists here, they're just taking their opportunity to raise awareness and contribute to a wider discourse.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I mean, I remember the England team's "Give Racism the red card" campaign about 15 years ago. Racism has always been an issue that football has involved itself in (and vice versa). What we need to remember here I think is that the purpose of these symbolic gestures isn't to make detailed demands about particular change, but to get other people to talk about this (like in this thread). Political campaigners, politicians, activists can all find the detail in how to progress on this. I wouldn't call footballers activists here, they're just taking their opportunity to raise awareness and contribute to a wider discourse.
Ah fair enough cant fault that
I feel if the national team it during the national anthem though they might experience a bit of a backlash :L
NJA
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by justjas33)
. . . Look into the official Black Lives Matter website.
I have, I'm struggling to find their list of policy demands, maybe you can help me?
All I can find is Defund The Police
Last edited by NJA; 3 weeks ago
justjas33
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by NJA)
I have, I'm struggling to find their list of policy demands, maybe you can help me?
All I can find is Defund The Police

sure, I think this is the same website you’re on about but this page seems to explain things better? If not check out The Guardian, google them with black lives matter, from what I remember I think they have a good page on it all https://blacklivesmatter.com/what-we-believe/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (34)
8.21%
Confident (55)
13.29%
Indifferent (58)
14.01%
Unsure (106)
25.6%
Worried (161)
38.89%

Watched Threads