Defer for a year from Imperial to get into Oxbridge

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hello everyone,
I missed my chance to apply to Oxbridge this year so I am planning to apply for the upcoming year. I will be finishing grade 12 this year(international student) and I am wondering if I am still eligible to apply and get into the Oxbridge upcoming year while deferring for a year from Imperial to protect my spot. This is for the computing course. Thanks.
FortitudeBank
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Yo, you can check with Imperial if you can defer but in usual times they don't allow it. If they can't then it's up to you if you want to reject Imperial and take the risk again for Oxbridge (and maybe end with nothing). Computing at Imperial is very good imo.

If they can, then ye you can possibly do this. You can reapply to Oxbridge but I'd apply to the other maybe (so Ox if you applied Cam and vice-versa) so they won't recognize your name. If they see they already rejected you I don't think they will accept you unless you get new and better grades, especially for 2021 entry which is gonna be super extra competitive (cos of all defers and people now wanting to go to uni)
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello everyone,
I missed my chance to apply to Oxbridge this year so I am planning to apply for the upcoming year. I will be finishing grade 12 this year(international student) and I am wondering if I am still eligible to apply and get into the Oxbridge upcoming year while deferring for a year from Imperial to protect my spot. This is for the computing course. Thanks.
No. You can't reapply whilst holding an offer. In addition, there is no right to defer - you can request it, but, if your offer is for this year, it can be refused.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by FortitudeBank)
Yo, you can check with Imperial if you can defer but in usual times they don't allow it. If they can't then it's up to you if you want to reject Imperial and take the risk again for Oxbridge (and maybe end with nothing). Computing at Imperial is very good imo.

If they can, then ye you can possibly do this. You can reapply to Oxbridge but I'd apply to the other maybe (so Ox if you applied Cam and vice-versa) so they won't recognize your name. If they see they already rejected you I don't think they will accept you unless you get new and better grades, especially for 2021 entry which is gonna be super extra competitive (cos of all defers and people now wanting to go to uni)
I never applied to Oxbridge. I only applied to Imperial last year. Thanks.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by RogerOxon)
No. You can't reapply whilst holding an offer. In addition, there is no right to defer - you can request it, but, if your offer is for this year, it can be refused.
If I get the right to refer can I not apply to Oxbridge? So I have to reject the imperial offer first. And will this gap year lower my chance to get into Oxbridge? Thanks
Edminzodo
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I never applied to Oxbridge. I only applied to Imperial last year. Thanks.
It would be better to start at Imperial and then apply whilst you are enrolled if you can. Although this might only be possible at Oxford.

Anyway, I really wouldn't recommend it this year. It's going to be horrifically competitive, and Imperial is an excellent university.
Krauss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You could consider studying at Cambridge for a masters degree after your degree at Imperial?
Krauss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
See FAQ's - click on questions about the application process and scroll down to relevant info.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....d-out-more/faq
Edminzodo
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
If I get the right to refer can I not apply to Oxbridge? So I have to reject the imperial offer first. And will this gap year lower my chance to get into Oxbridge? Thanks
Pretty sure you can only have one UCAS account open, so you'll need to go to Imperial and apply whilst you're there (which may not even be possible), or lose the Imperial offer, and reapply. 2021 is going to be a hard year for applicants, which is why no one is recommending it. Also, they might not even let you defer anyway.

Also, be aware that you can only apply to one of Oxford or Cambridge. Not both. Imperial is still incredibly prestigious. If you want to go for a great course which will teach you lots, the difference between it and Oxbridge is negligible.

They also might question why you have taken a gap year, if you aren't doing anything except reapplying.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
No, you can't. Yes, you have to reject the deferred offer. Yes, a gap year can potentially affect your chances, depending upon the subject and what you do during your gap year.
(Original post by https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/when-apply/deferred-entry;undefined)
Make sure you’re certain about the course, because if you secure a place, you’ll be committed to taking it up. You won’t be able to apply elsewhere in the 2020 or 2021 cycle while you hold that place, and you can only be released from the course if the course provider agrees. You can only reapply if the university agrees to withdraw your deferred application.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 5 months ago
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hello everyone,
Congratulations on your Imperial Computing offer - they are very hard to get. Imperial is very good, and, IMO, not worth risking for a shot at Oxbridge (undergraduate). If you're set on trying for Oxbridge, I'd recommend that you do that at post graduate level.

Imperial is a World top ten university. You should be proud of your accomplishment in getting an offer.

Full disclosure: I'm an Oxford (Engineering and CS) graduate. My son is at Imperial (JMC).
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hello everyone,
Oxbridge is better than anywhere else in the UK, but still not worth taking a gap year for. next year will be even more competitive as lots of students will be deferring due to Covid
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (519)
33.7%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (638)
41.43%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (313)
20.32%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise