Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'll be applying to Uni this year and have these ones in mind: Cambridge, Durham, Bristol, St. Andrews and Exeter. I would like to study Archaeology but Cambridge, which is my preferred university, offers Archaeology and Anthropology. Is it possible to write an effective personal statement which conveys my interest for both of the two disciplines? I don't want to reduce my chances of getting into my other choices.

ReputationRep:
    Well considering that when I applied, I applied to 6 different unis, with 6 -very- different courses, and still got accepted into a uni, it is doable. Looking at yours, the two courses offered are not too different. Focus on why you want to study archaeology, but also mention why you're prepared to join it with Anthropology. Universities accept that as 1 personal statement fits all, sometimes some information doesn't pertain to them, whereas when Cambridge read it, it'll be relevant. If you focus on Archaeology, then I can't see why a paragraph or two on Anthropology and why you want to study it would affect your chances with the others.

ReputationRep:
    Im in that situation.

Im applying to do Eng Lit + Philosophy, But Oxford only offers Eng, so do i cater more for eng for them or not?

I've decided just to write it balanced, as most of them its both and not just one. So yeah...

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can - you just have to be careful with your personal statement.

I applied to do Russian and Spanish at three of my choices and portuguese and spanish at two - since I am passionate about languages, I just spoke about my interest in hispanic culture and russian culture and just language in general (on the language side of things, I added a lot of other random stuff as well, but thats beside the point..)

In my personal statement I mentioned my drama and things as well, so you could bring up an interest in animals perhaps? And their origins? Try and link the two subjects together if possible, but I'm sure you can incorporate the two together in separate paragraphs otherwise

Ask your careers advisor for help as well, make sure you do.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the positive feedback!
    Now I know it's doable, I'll give it a go.

ReputationRep:
    Me again, sorry people :P

I'm finding it hard to write the personal statement so I'm considering to apply to unis which only offer arch and anth. So far this list includes Cambridge, Durham and Bristol. Which other universities offer this degree?

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham does, and can be found http://www.iaa.bham.ac.uk/ugdegprogs/arch.htm

That said, as much as I love Birmingham (being there myself) I will accept and acknowledge that they aren't in the top 10 unis; and are probably 'a step down' from the ones you're currently applying for. That said, at least take a look at the course, and not shun it like others simply because it isn't a top 10 uni.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Cloud, Cambridge give you an additional form when you apply, including an area for a Cambridge specified part of your personal statement. Simply write your personal statement on Archaeology and then write about your interest for Anthropology in that section, problem solved

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CloudStrife)
    Me again, sorry people :P

I'm finding it hard to write the personal statement so I'm considering to apply to unis which only offer arch and anth. So far this list includes Cambridge, Durham and Bristol. Which other universities offer this degree?
    I applied for Arch and Anth last year but only at some unis. At Edinburgh and Glasgow I applied for straigh archaeology, at Bristol and Durham I applied for Arch and Anth, and then at St. Andrews straight anthropology. I got offers from all except St Andrews so most unis don't seem to mind a personal statement aimed at two subjects.

Edinburgh do Social Anthropology and Archaeology together, East Anglia and SOAS do Arch, Anth and Art history as a degree. Aberdeen, Birmingham, Kent, Lampeter, Belfast and UCL all do Arch and Anth as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buttercup_10)
    I applied for Arch and Anth last year but only at some unis. At Edinburgh and Glasgow I applied for straigh archaeology, at Bristol and Durham I applied for Arch and Anth, and then at St. Andrews straight anthropology. I got offers from all except St Andrews so most unis don't seem to mind a personal statement aimed at two subjects.

Edinburgh do Social Anthropology and Archaeology together, East Anglia and SOAS do Arch, Anth and Art history as a degree. Aberdeen, Birmingham, Kent, Lampeter, Belfast and UCL all do Arch and Anth as well.
    Thank you very much! Your posts have been really helpful

Buttercup, which uni are you going to?/at now? If you've done your first year, what's it like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CloudStrife)
    Thank you very much! Your posts have been really helpful

Buttercup, which uni are you going to?/at now? If you've done your first year, what's it like?
    I was going to go to Edinurgh but unfortunetely I missed the grades (I got AAD instead of BBB) so I'm reapplying this year. I'm going to do History A2, which was the AS I gave up. I'm going to apply to Edinburgh, St. Andrews and Durham again but I'm not sure about which other two to chose so I'll be looking around the others on the list!

The three I am applying to, I looked around last year and they are all fantastic and the staff for arch and anth seem really good. I also applied to Bristol last year and the course seemed great there too. Theres lots of choice of which modules you take and by third year you can be taking pretty much all your modules in archaeology, save for a couple of core modules. The only reason I'm applying there again is that the uni just didn't feel right to me.

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.