Turn on thread page Beta

Thyroid Disease watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I just wondered how many of you out there have a thyroid disease. I have hashimoto's autoimune hypothyroidism disease it occured when I hit puberty at 14. I was diagnosed at 16 and now I'm 17. I know its common in older people. But I wanted to see if there are any teenagers out there with hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism or any other thyroid disease I don't know about. Or any of you that know young people with it and how if at all its been a hinderance and your experiences?

ReputationRep:
    Dont have it - know of it.

ReputationRep:
    i have hyperthyroidism. They thought it was graves disease but apparantly is not. Im not sure what it is and i've kinda been left in limbo a bit. Im 21 and only found out by accident so at first the symptoms werent very noticable. Its not the end of the world, but i know what you mean it can be a bit annoying and gets me down sometimes. Ive started to lose my hair which is a bit crappy and i have a tremor which gets annoying.
    You're not on your own ive definitely cursed the existance of thyroids- and needles in the neck- shudnt b allowed lol xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katie_0201)
    i have hyperthyroidism. They thought it was graves disease but apparantly is not. Im not sure what it is and i've kinda been left in limbo a bit. Im 21 and only found out by accident so at first the symptoms werent very noticable. Its not the end of the world, but i know what you mean it can be a bit annoying and gets me down sometimes. Ive started to lose my hair which is a bit crappy and i have a tremor which gets annoying.
    You're not on your own ive definitely cursed the existance of thyroids- and needles in the neck- shudnt b allowed lol xxx
    Ah my mum has graves disease and has hyperthyroidism. It doesn't sound like you have graves disease if I compare what you described to my mums symptons.

Yeah loosing my hair would get me down too. But if I feel like that I remind myself I don't have diabeties or a heart defect. What annoys me though, is that conventional medicine in this area is very limited and it seems there is no cure. I would really like it if some scientists did a lot more research on it.

ReputationRep:
    My best friend has hypothyroidism. She felt awful for a long long time before it was diagnosed, but now as long she takes her thyroxine every day she is absolutely fine. On the bright side, now you get free prescriptions for the rest of your life, whether or not they are related to your thyroid problems!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snork_Maiden)
    My best friend has hypothyroidism. She felt awful for a long long time before it was diagnosed, but now as long she takes her thyroxine every day she is absolutely fine. On the bright side, now you get free prescriptions for the rest of your life, whether or not they are related to your thyroid problems!

Always thought i was a bit unfair, you do if your hypothyroid not if your hyperthyroid. I asked the disgruntled chemist why once and she just replied because you can eat what you want and never put weight on. She kinda made a scene

ReputationRep:
    I have Hyperthyroidism. Because of that, I have heart problems ( my heart beats way to fast) so for three years I haven't been able to do any sport. I also have weight problems, I can put on 5 kilos in two days eating nothing, or lose 3 in one day eating ten bars of Kitkat ... so I know Hyper does normally make you lose weight, but in my case, it just completely deregulated my metabolism.

I was treated twice with radioactive iodine, and I have to take heart medecine and another pill for my thyroid.

But it doesn't bother me more than that.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest what are the symptoms from an expert like you? I mean alot of my friends who have weight problems (as in they are overweight) keep making jokes about having hyperthyroidism but could that be possible?!

Well done on not letting it get you down though

ReputationRep:
    I have hypothyroidism!
    I am awful at taking my thyroxine, and think it doesn't make any difference if I do or not... but it really does! After taking it for a while I feel so much more awake and active.
    My mum and sister have it too which is very unusual apparently for it to be sort of genetic.

I really should take the tablet more consistently, because apparently years ago before they really knew what it is asylums were filled with people with thyroid problems because it eventually made them seem insane!
    Thank god for modern medicine

ReputationRep:
    Also, it doesn't make you fat, it just makes it more difficult to control/loose weight as far as I am aware.

ReputationRep:
    Just take your thyroxine on a a daily basis and you should be fine. It works very well for me. However, it is a bit annoying, that you have to wait for about half an hour before you can eat anything...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QBC123)
    Just out of interest what are the symptoms from an expert like you?
    Wikipedia has all that you want and more:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothyroidism

(Original post by QBC123)
    I mean alot of my friends who have weight problems (as in they are overweight) keep making jokes about having hyperthyroidism but could that be possible?!
    A large study was done concerning people who were overweight and classified themselves as having a 'low/slow metabolism' or were hypothyroidic, which justified, according to them, why they were overweight. So they were tested, guess what happened? Of the hundreds if not thousands that were studied, none were hypothyroidic and none had a 'low metabolism'. Plus the ones that actually followed the advice of the researchers (ie; on a calorie controlled diet and exercise) lost weight when before they'd claimed it was impossible.

Thyroid and metabolic disorders are very rare. Your friends are almost certainly eating too much of the wrong food and/or not exercising enough. And don't get me started about maybe they have the 'fat gene'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notdellie)
    I have hypothyroidism!
    I am awful at taking my thyroxine, and think it doesn't make any difference if I do or not... but it really does! After taking it for a while I feel so much more awake and active.
    My mum and sister have it too which is very unusual apparently for it to be sort of genetic.

I really should take the tablet more consistently, because apparently years ago before they really knew what it is asylums were filled with people with thyroid problems because it eventually made them seem insane!
    Thank god for modern medicine
    It really does make a difference! I'm only on 50mg a day but without that it would change me so much. Haha yeah I can see why loads of people ended up in asylums. During the year I had it worst I was really depressed about EVERYTHING which seemed strange to everyone who knew me as I'm generally a very positive and optimistic kind of person. Thank god for modern medicine indeed but why can't they find a cure?!

ReputationRep:
    I had a multi-nodular goitre caused by hypothyroidism - basically my thyroid grew to make more thyroxine and I had an Adam's Apple-like lump in my neck. It's still there, much smaller, but only noticeable to people when I point it out. I don't take thyroxine anymore as it rebalanced itself with the thyroxine or I grew out of it - doctor wasn't sure. I also had to have the radioactive stuff injected with the scan which was kinda cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penelope247)
    It really does make a difference! I'm only on 50mg a day but without that it would change me so much. Haha yeah I can see why loads of people ended up in asylums. During the year I had it worst I was really depressed about EVERYTHING which seemed strange to everyone who knew me as I'm generally a very positive and optimistic kind of person. Thank god for modern medicine indeed but why can't they find a cure?!
    I'm on 50mg too.
    They didn't find it on my mum for absolutely ages, and by the time they did her thyroid was basically shrivelled up and doesn't produce anything naturally so she has abuot 200mg a day I think!

It would be good if there was a cure, but its not too bad considering its just one pilla day and its not VITAL you take it, like you can get away with it if you miss one or two. Hopefully somewhere someone is working on a cure, but until then we can manage!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 24, 2008
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.