esmewesmey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi, I'm in year 12 and currently doing my history coursework about how important was Martin Luther King in the pursuit of black civil rights in America? from the periods 1865-1984. My question is: would it be easier doing a thematic approach or a chronological approach? because I am leaning towards a thematic approach but I just don't know how to start it and how I should format it (for example, I was thinking one paragraph would look at key individuals and specifically grass-root organisations and their importance).
Last edited by esmewesmey; 5 months ago
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Which exam board are you doing? The mark schemes change a bit between them. I did OCR and found that a thematic approach was more helpful as it ensured that I covered the whole period and that my sources were directly comparable.
esmewesmey
Rep:
?
(Original post by redmeercat)
Which exam board are you doing? The mark schemes change a bit between them. I did OCR and found that a thematic approach was more helpful as it ensured that I covered the whole period and that my sources were directly comparable.
Thanks. I'm doing AQA, so if you know anything focusing on that exam board that would be great!
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by esmewesmey)
Thanks. I'm doing AQA, so if you know anything focusing on that exam board that would be great!
Sorry, I'm really not sure about AQA - for OCR we don't have to evaluate the historians themselves or anything, which Ive heard some other exam boards do (maybe AQA?) so I wouldn't like to claim knowledge!
wastedcuriosity
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey, I did AQA and used the thematic approach, and did absolutely fine Your format sounds great and is similar to what I did. Don't forget to include your historians!
esmewesmey
Rep:
?
(Original post by wastedcuriosity)
Hey, I did AQA and used the thematic approach, and did absolutely fine Your format sounds great and is similar to what I did. Don't forget to include your historians!
Thanks so much. Currently deciding on which historians, was gonna go for Stephen Tuck and Lawrence Reddick. I was first gonna go with August Meier instead of Stephen Tuck but I was advised to pick him since he is more well-known in this debate and would provide more info. Which historians did you go for?
wastedcuriosity
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thanks so much. Currently deciding on which historians, was gonna go for Stephen Tuck and Lawrence Reddick. I was first gonna go with August Meier instead of Stephen Tuck but I was advised to pick him since he is more well-known in this debate and would provide more info. Which historians did you go for?
Hey not sure if my historians will be any help as they focussed on Witchcraft which was my topic haha
Probably best to go for Tuck if he has more information as one of my historians wasn't well known and I struggled to find a lot of information on the web from her
esmewesmey
Rep:
?
(Original post by wastedcuriosity)
Hey not sure if my historians will be any help as they focussed on Witchcraft which was my topic haha
Probably best to go for Tuck if he has more information as one of my historians wasn't well known and I struggled to find a lot of information on the web from her
Oh haha, that's still helpful thank you
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thematic approach would be better for your question because I think your question wouldn't be really great for a chronological approach. You could do it as a normal essay have an introduction, main points and conclusion.
esmewesmey
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
Thematic approach would be better for your question because I think your question wouldn't be really great for a chronological approach. You could do it as a normal essay have an introduction, main points and conclusion.
Thank you so much I will defo be going with the thematic approach
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (579)
34.4%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (690)
41%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (337)
20.02%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (77)
4.58%

Watched Threads