The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

geoff_yin
Joe555, do you really want to see your reading list before you even get to Uni? The thought of looking at another reading list is depressing me already! :frown:

Am I being lazy or is it just normal to start buying and looking into books once you actually start lectures. After freshers week.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 41
I started buying books within the two weeks lectures started. It's costs a fortune though, so you should consider buying them second hand off last years fresher's students.

It's the opposite of being lasy isn't it? Going out and getting the books you need for the semester?
How much do you think books can possibly cost. For an engineering course will they go over 250 pounds?
Reply 43
Quite possibly, if you bought all your books brand new, and didn't borrow any from the library or didn't buy any second-hand.

I bought all of my first year Economics books brand new and it probably cost about £300. :eek:
Reply 44
Yup, it's definitely a good idea to see if you can get some books second hand off old students. Not speaking for all modules, but I found a couple of modules to only require a few chapters of a book and so I just went to the library for those.
Reply 45
Signor Optimist
Hi Malin :hello:.

Hello :smile:
Reply 46
I dunno about you guys but I've been told that you don't necessarily need all the books you're recommended to get; considering that I'll no doubt be incredibly poor, I'm not buying anything until I'm sure I'll get my moneys worth out of it.
Reply 47
DominF
I dunno about you guys but I've been told that you don't necessarily need all the books you're recommended to get; considering that I'll no doubt be incredibly poor, I'm not buying anything until I'm sure I'll get my moneys worth out of it.

That's quite true. It really depends on how each module is set out. Some require books, whereas others require chapters or are only recommended if you need further reading to understand.
Reply 48
There's already a group on Facebook for people wanting to buy/sell books. No idea what the link is, but it's on the wall of one of the many nottingham freshers groups.
I'd suggest you guys either buy second hand books off students or from blackwells (they'll have a green sticker on them) or borrow all your books from the library (this will obviously depend on how much stock the library has, if you get in there and borrow your books quite early or if you want to buy some books and get the rest out of the library). For core textbooks,that you know you'll be using for example, all through the course, i suggest just forking out the money for it because at least you know it'll last you through all of the course.
Reply 50
Signor Optimist
Am I being lazy or is it just normal to start buying and looking into books once you actually start lectures. After freshers week.

Yeah it's a bit sad i know, but i won't really read them at all. It's just when i'm at univeristy i have to pay for EVERYTHING, so less money on alcohol if i have to buy books, whereas at home i can just use my mum's creditcard and put on a puppy face! Swing!
So I sent off my clearing passport today. I rejected Manchester's offer for Mechatronics, the course just doesn't contain as much of the mechanical aspect of engineering as I'd like. See sig. :biggrin:
EpsilonZero
So I sent off my clearing passport today. I rejected Manchester's offer for Mechatronics, the course just doesn't contain as much of the mechanical aspect of engineering as I'd like. See sig. :biggrin:

Welcome :biggrin:
Alison267
Welcome :biggrin:

Thanks. :smile:
EpsilonZero

I'm doing the EXACT same course as you next year. Hi :smile:
1LoveridgeC
I'm doing the EXACT same course as you next year. Hi :smile:

:woo:

Hello!
Introduction and pictures please! :biggrin: So we could know whos who.
Hi, I'm Jess and I'm doing Mechanical Engineering (Meng) :biggrin:

Picture:

(I'm the one on the left)
EvilSheep
Hello :smile:

I never realised you were applying to Nottingham!
Remember me, the Scandinavian enthusiast, obsessed with Edinburgh? Well, they rejected me. :p:

For the rest of the thread.. hi, I'm Charlotte. An addition to that crazy Viking Studies lot!
Reply 59
Fjarskafinn
I never realised you were applying to Nottingham!
Remember me, the Scandinavian enthusiast, obsessed with Edinburgh? Well, they rejected me. :p:

For the rest of the thread.. hi, I'm Charlotte. An addition to that crazy Viking Studies lot!

Yes, I remember you very well!!! I'm slightly obsessed with going to Ed for postgrad, so.. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I'm sure you'll enjoy Notts!! We should meet up, I can teach you Norwegian :wink:

Where are you staying??

Latest

Trending

Trending