struggling to loose weight

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I'm an 18 year old female. I'm 5 ft 6 and weigh 245 ibs/ 17.5 stone. I'm a UK size 16/18 in clothes but I feel like I'm almost at a size 20.

Ever since I was in primary school I've been trying to loose weight, I guess ive just always been a little bit bigger than everyone else but going through puberty made my weight shoot up and ive just been getting bigger and bigger ever since. I'm the biggest person in my family, everyone else is so much slimmer and we all have a similar diet. My weight has always affected my confidence and makes me feel self conscious all of the time. I struggle to put myself out there and talk to people which has resulted in me being alone with no friends and I just want to start feeling like myself for the first time in a long time instead of hiding behind my weight that has completely taken over my life.

I've tried to loose weight in so many different ways:

- Only eating 3 meals a day and no snacking
- slim fast
- counting calories
- keto diet
- paleo diet
- intermittent fasting (16/8 method)
- only drinking water
- only eating natural foods
- exercising ( walking my dogs more, cycling, HIT exercising, basket ball, running)

But it never works and the lack of results always makes me want to give up.

However, I dont believe that my usual diet when not trying to loose weight is overly bad. I love fruit and veg and I dont like most sweets. I usually just have cereal or toast for breakfast, a sandwich or salad for lunch and the same dinner as everyone else in my family (spagbowl, sausage casserole, chicken, roast dinner etc.), with a few snack in between (chocolate, yoghurt, fruit or crisps etc.).

This past month I've been trying harder than I ever have before to loose weight.

I've been eating natural foods and having only 2 meals and 1 snack a day, only drinking water (2-3 litres a day), intermittent fasting for 16-18 hrs a day, eating between 1,200 and 1,500 calories a day and exercising (walking, running, cycling, yoga etc.) But I'm not loosing weight, I just feel like I'm getting bigger and bigger.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do or any tips???
bambi1425
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
maybe talk to your GP and see if there's anything they can recommend?? you seem to have a good diet normally and you exercise regularly from seems of, try stick to cardio and then some muscle stuff to tone up.

do you drink mostly non fizzy drinks and not an excess of alcohol? that's the only thing really I can think of tbh 🤷
Anonymous #1
(Original post by bambi1425)
maybe talk to your GP and see if there's anything they can recommend?? you seem to have a good diet normally and you exercise regularly from seems of, try stick to cardio and then some muscle stuff to tone up.

do you drink mostly non fizzy drinks and not an excess of alcohol? that's the only thing really I can think of tbh 🤷
thanks for the reply. i mainly only drink water or sugar free drinks, I very rarely have fizzy drinks. I have also never had alcohol. I've been to my GP before as my weight has cause me to get joint pain but they just sent me to physiotherapy and didn't want to talk to me about my weight.
bunnyrabbit2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
How long have you stuck with the exercising? HIIT is great for losing fat apparently but who knows how long it may take to start losing weight.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by bunnyrabbit2)
How long have you stuck with the exercising? HIIT is great for losing fat apparently but who knows how long it may take to start losing weight.
I do a fast paced walk and run ( fast paced periods of running with some walking inbetween) with my dogs every day for at least an hour. I try and do some yoga in the mornings and ride my bike one or twice a week for a hour each time. I've been doing this for about a month now as well as intermittent fasting, reducing my calorie intake and having a healthier diet but still no results. I dont know what else to do.
Anonymous #2
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I do a fast paced walk and run ( fast paced periods of running with some walking inbetween) with my dogs every day for at least an hour. I try and do some yoga in the mornings and ride my bike one or twice a week for a hour each time. I've been doing this for about a month now as well as intermittent fasting, reducing my calorie intake and having a healthier diet but still no results. I dont know what else to do.
Bruh I eat sh*t food barely exercise and I cant seem to gain weight I've always been around 110 pounds (5'4) I guess you just have a very low metabolism. For me it's easier to lose than gain weight
bambi1425
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
maybe try asking specifically about how they think you could lose weight?? force them to address that instead just being like meh physio will do?

also try keep a food diary, you seem very aware of what you eat anyway but it may help??

but as someone said it may just be a low metabolism- tho I'd think the hiit exercise you do would at least help you lose a bit!
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Have you had your thyroid levels tested?
bunnyrabbit2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
It may be impossible for you to become slim. Some people are just bigger.

I don't think a fast walk is going to do much to burn calories, and a long low-energy bike ride is going to do much either. Maybe try some online HIIT workouts that you can find on Youtube.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (543)
33.83%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (662)
41.25%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (327)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.55%

Watched Threads