The Student Room Group

need help with what to do with my career

this is where I stand:
- i have an offer for a big 4 audit apprenticeship scheme in london starting in october
- I've realised through some research that it is not what i want to do in the future, to the point where i strongly dislike it.
- I've infact found that a career in actuary is more suitable for me

The problem is that the apprenticeship scheme is 5 years long, i dont want to do 5 years of something i dont enjoy, and unfortuantely all the apprenticeship schemes starting this september are closed, so i dont have much of a choice to change.

I've found an apprenticeship that i like, but it means ill have to do this audit programme for a year, and i dont want to do that either as a year is still a long time to do something you dont like! and also pay them back!

its all making me feel really depressed espeically now that i have 4 months of not really doing anything leading up to it, im scared to start as its not what i want, but i also dont want a gap year doing nothing, and what if i dont get into this apprenticeship i want? will i be stuck doing a career i dont like?

to add, the actuary career is almost perfect for me, and i really regret not applying to it earlier in the year.
does the same company also offer an actuary apprenticeship or something similar that maybe you can change to? Try get into contact with them in regards to other apprenticeships they offer which you might be able to switch to. Also theres honestly no point in doing an apprenticeship which you strongly dislike as throughout the apprenticeship you have to stay dedicated to the demands of it and the workload. But in terms of waiting for the actuary apprenticeship openings, as the vacancies open up later on in the year and a place in them isnt guaranteed, have you looked into any courses as like a backup ie an undergrad in a maths/finance based subject.
Reply 2
Original post by raihan5678
does the same company also offer an actuary apprenticeship or something similar that maybe you can change to? Try get into contact with them in regards to other apprenticeships they offer which you might be able to switch to. Also theres honestly no point in doing an apprenticeship which you strongly dislike as throughout the apprenticeship you have to stay dedicated to the demands of it and the workload. But in terms of waiting for the actuary apprenticeship openings, as the vacancies open up later on in the year and a place in them isnt guaranteed, have you looked into any courses as like a backup ie an undergrad in a maths/finance based subject.

ive already asked if i can switch to advisory but they said all the roles have been filled so i cant change. im only interested in apprenticeships really, would rather not go to uni. im just saddened by the fact that i have to spend a year doing something i dont want to do
Well spending a year on the apprenticeship will still help prove to be a good experience, you can learn much about the company and the field. Have they said anything about potentially changing apprenticeship roles after spending a year in? If you really dont want to spend a year in audit then its really not worth doing but for now that would be the only backup i can think of (as you dont want to go uni) incase you maybe dont get into an advisory role
Reply 4
Well spending a year on the apprenticeship will still help prove to be a good experience, you can learn much about the company and the field. Have they said anything about potentially changing apprenticeship roles after spending a year in? If you really dont want to spend a year in audit then its really not worth doing but for now that would be the only backup i can think of (as you dont want to go uni) incase you maybe dont get into an advisory role

sure it will be a good experience, but i worry that when i apply to other jobs and they see "big 4 audit, 1 year" that it just envokes someone who quit early because they struggled or couldnt be bothered etc, and it might make them think that im going to do the same to them.

no they havent said anything about changing, i dont know if whether i did extremely well in exams id be allowed to change, but ive never seen or heard of it happen on this scheme, so its safe to assume that its an unlikely event.
I understand what you mean, dropping from a big apprenticeship in first year isnt ideal and doesnt look to good but if your switching apprenticeships as you would prefer another particular field then employers will take that into account. Also, As you want to essentially get into advisory, starting off with audit can lead you towards that path as Its quite common for those in audit to switch to advisory. For example Deloitte allows its graduates to switch to advisory positions after spending a few years in audit. So just because you start off in audit does not mean you have to stay there, its about trying to make the most out of the apprenticeship your in and as you express your interest in other sub fields in the sector, any good company will try help cater towards that. Meaning you wont just be 'stuck' in the career.
Reply 6
I understand what you mean, dropping from a big apprenticeship in first year isnt ideal and doesnt look to good but if your switching apprenticeships as you would prefer another particular field then employers will take that into account. Also, As you want to essentially get into advisory, starting off with audit can lead you towards that path as Its quite common for those in audit to switch to advisory. For example Deloitte allows its graduates to switch to advisory positions after spending a few years in audit. So just because you start off in audit does not mean you have to stay there, its about trying to make the most out of the apprenticeship your in and as you express your interest in other sub fields in the sector, any good company will try help cater towards that. Meaning you wont just be 'stuck' in the career.

yes i understand it could possibly move to advisory once qualifying which is a viable option, the only downisde, is that its 5 years. im only 18 right now, and 5 years is a long time for me, an especially long time to do something that i dont enjoy and is very repetitive. i think im just gonna have to stay there and apply for other jobs once i start, and hope i get in
when your in the role other oppurtunities might arise also and you could enjoy your time at the company which would also help, so good luck in starting your apprenticeship and looking for alternatives later on if you dont enjoy it.
I know this isn't relevant but I just wanted to ask you how you got that offer because I really want to get it in the future. Any tips?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending