The Student Room Group
Have you sent out your CV and letters? if it doesn't work then go in personally and give in your CV, if you're persisent you will have a better chance of getting a place. Have you tried the private or NHS? Community dentist?
Reply 2
Have you tried looking in the Yellow Pages or something similar to the Yellow Pages?
oh and ask your school if they could help you out.
Reply 4
Yes i sent letters to all dentists in my area..

Few weeks later phoned all the dentists in my area ..

Replies include.. "we don't do it."
"patient confidentiality"
(Which is stupid bcz youve got to have w/e to get into uni ..so obvs its allowed)

Tried all the dentists..
Think my next option is to try the hospitals oral departments.

+ maybe if I visit them personally that may help ?

Finding time is hard tho, work isnt too fond of days off =/
Dentists are normally very receptive to work experience students.

Weird that nobody wants you... :s-smilie:
Yeah different places have different policies, you could try an orthodontist, I got a year worth of work exp with the NHS orthodontist cos I guess it's not AS big a deal for the whole patient confidentiality maybe lol he didn't seem to mind. Try to get some with a dental technician, or at the reception area while not actually shadowing the dentist. It will be really useful and give you some great stuff to talk about in your PS and a possible interview. Yeah visit them personally and just keep on trying. It is kind of imprtant, BUT universities DO know that it's not that easy to get work experience due to such problems so just do what you can.
Reply 7
Speedbird2008
Dentists are normally very receptive to work experience students.

Weird that nobody wants you... :s-smilie:

Maybe its just a thing about Barnsley area dentists? =/

May have to expand my search!
Reply 8
kookoo_koochoo
Yeah different places have different policies, you could try an orthodontist, I got a year worth of work exp with the NHS orthodontist cos I guess it's not AS big a deal for the whole patient confidentiality maybe lol he didn't seem to mind. Try to get some with a dental technician, or at the reception area while not actually shadowing the dentist. It will be really useful and give you some great stuff to talk about in your PS and a possible interview. Yeah visit them personally and just keep on trying. It is kind of imprtant, BUT universities DO know that it's not that easy to get work experience due to such problems so just do what you can.

Thankyouu for the advice! =)
Im defo going to keep trying.. only thing i wana do tbh.. just fustrating =/
I do "volunteer" at my aunties every wednesday, as she has MS (cannot move from the neck down atm). I try to help her as much as possible. So i supose i do have something to write about in PS. Its just not dentistry related =/
j-a-morris
Thankyouu for the advice! =)
Im defo going to keep trying.. only thing i wana do tbh.. just fustrating =/
I do "volunteer" at my aunties every wednesday, as she has MS (cannot move from the neck down atm). I try to help her as much as possible. So i supose i do have something to write about in PS. Its just not dentistry related =/

Well that will be good, as well as any other long term voluntary thing. I can't really think of anything else it's a shame that you arne't able to get any yet, but just keep trying, and like I say even if you are just at reception or something it's better than nothing - so many people I know who did medical work exp only got to sit with the secretaries and make coffee and tea, but if you do it for a long period of time then it still looks good, and you will also be able to get some good direct patient contact and learn some things about the administrative side of dentistry. But yeah I know how annoying it is, hopefully someone will stop being mean and let you in!
Reply 10
I found someeeee! Wheyyyyyy! =)

Latest

Trending

Trending