The Student Room Group

Morrisons job rejection?

I recently applied for a Morrisons job and never got sent an online test. So I assume I’ve been automatically rejected as one of my friends applied at the same time and got sent the link to her own test. There was one posted yesterday which I also applied for, and didn’t get sent a link to the online test again either. But everyone else I know who applied got sent it.

I currently have a friend who works at Morrisons. I’m not trying to be petty or bitter or rude or anything (I’ve discussed this with my friend herself) but her CV is a paragraph of her hobbies and a list of her GCSE grades, which she all failed. I have work experience on mine, with my skills, GCSE 7-9 grades etc. She gets every job she applies for and I get ignored or rejected. She doesn’t understand it and neither does anyone else who knows the situation.

I thought it was because I was 17 at the time and they only hire 18 year olds in my area, but other 17yos get sent the link and I don’t. I used to, but they ended up rejecting me anyway because they wanted someone with ‘more experience’, despite their job description saying they don’t mind no experience as they can train you. I’m not 18 yet but I am soon, so I put down I was. But I still didn’t get the link.

Is there something I’m doing wrong? It’s really getting me down as I try really hard on my applications and do practice tests and really research these companies beforehand so I can *stand out* but I always get rejected. I’ve been applying to jobs for around 2 years now, and the only interview I’ve been offered is at McDonalds....😞😞😞

Scroll to see replies

I work at Morrisons as a Cafe Assistant. Morrisons was my second interview, first job so I was pretty inexperienced also. I expected to be asked typical interview questions such as "Why do you want to work for us?" and "What will make you good for the job?" etc etc but I wasn't asked anything like that. My interview was just like a big informal chat about the answers I'd written on the application form and more information about the job.

I think black trousers are a good idea because look smart. I wore black trousers with a plain white gypsy top and black shoes.

Good luck with your interview. Remember to arrive about 10-15 minutes early and bring all the documentation and photocopies that you need to bring.
Original post by Pepperoni Guy
I work at Morrisons as a Cafe Assistant. Morrisons was my second interview, first job so I was pretty inexperienced also. I expected to be asked typical interview questions such as "Why do you want to work for us?" and "What will make you good for the job?" etc etc but I wasn't asked anything like that. My interview was just like a big informal chat about the answers I'd written on the application form and more information about the job.

I think black trousers are a good idea because look smart. I wore black trousers with a plain white gypsy top and black shoes.

Good luck with your interview. Remember to arrive about 10-15 minutes early and bring all the documentation and photocopies that you need to bring.

I don’t have an interview they don’t even send me an online test..
How long after applying did your friends receive the online test as I applied around a week ago and have still not received anything ?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by chatterparty
How long after applying did your friends receive the online test as I applied around a week ago and have still not received anything ?

They all got it within less than a day... I applied for the first vacancy a couple weeks ago and still have absolutely nothing. The more recent ones I have applied for I don't have an online assessment link either, whilst everyone else got sent one basically straight away.
Original post by sundayblues
They all got it within less than a day... I applied for the first vacancy a couple weeks ago and still have absolutely nothing. The more recent ones I have applied for I don't have an online assessment link either, whilst everyone else got sent one basically straight away.

you should probably work on improving your cv personal statement and the skills section then. for jobs like these its usually not about the grades at all, its about what you can offer to the company.

Ok ok, I suppose my application was rejected then.
Original post by Mikeeeeey
you should probably work on improving your cv personal statement and the skills section then. for jobs like these its usually not about the grades at all, its about what you can offer to the company.

I've put my CV through professional checkers and sent it to actual employers and they've all said it's good. I mean I don't know if it is they could be lying but I have written about skills and past experience etc. like I've literally reread and edited my CV sooo much it's unreal lol. Whereas my best friend has no past experience on her CV, she literally just wrote about her hobbies and grades, yet she got sent the online assessment link within an hour, got invited to interview the same week, and got the job immediately. It's confusing me so much lol I guess I'm just unlucky af. :frown:
I've put my CV through professional checkers and sent it to actual employers and they've all said it's good. I mean I don't know if it is they could be lying but I have written about skills and past experience etc. like I've literally reread and edited my CV sooo much it's unreal lol. Whereas my best friend has no past experience on her CV, she literally just wrote about her hobbies and grades, yet she got sent the online assessment link within an hour, got invited to interview the same week, and got the job immediately. It's confusing me so much lol I guess I'm just unlucky af. :frown:

Never underestimate personality when it comes to jobs. As negative as it sounds, having good grades can actually put people off its a job like Morrison’s because (no offence to anyone who works at Morrison’s) they’ll think that you have ambitions beyond being at their store. The money and energy that goes into hiring and training someone is a lot, so they want someone who is more likely to stick around and they assume that people who get high grades in school won’t commit. And also, you need to be a people person and likeable. Your friend by the sounds sod it has a lot of personal interests and charisma. Experience isn’t everything, despite what people might say.
Original post by Anonymous17!
Never underestimate personality when it comes to jobs. As negative as it sounds, having good grades can actually put people off its a job like Morrison’s because (no offence to anyone who works at Morrison’s) they’ll think that you have ambitions beyond being at their store. The money and energy that goes into hiring and training someone is a lot, so they want someone who is more likely to stick around and they assume that people who get high grades in school won’t commit. And also, you need to be a people person and likeable. Your friend by the sounds sod it has a lot of personal interests and charisma. Experience isn’t everything, despite what people might say.

Yeah I've been told it's because I'm 'overqualified' but I don't get why me 'being smart' makes them think 'I do not want this girl working at my Morrisons', if anything I thought it would make me more appealing as I'm eDuCatEd and will work well. It's just annoying bc I really need a job lol it's making me feel so down :frown:
Yeah I've been told it's because I'm 'overqualified' but I don't get why me 'being smart' makes them think 'I do not want this girl working at my Morrisons', if anything I thought it would make me more appealing as I'm eDuCatEd and will work well. It's just annoying bc I really need a job lol it's making me feel so down :frown:

I feel you. I really do. I got all 8’s-6’s at gcse and you can’t lie on a cv. But yeah, some will view it as over educated. It’s not so much that you’re too smart to work for them, it’s the idea that ‘well, if she worked hard to get those grades, she’ll want to go to uni blah blah.’ There’s no way to get around it because like I said, can’t lie on a cv. However, I do think your cv might be a problem. I can send you a template for a cv. I used it and have never really had trouble getting an interview, just an issue with getting a job offer. I’ve got an interview coming up on Sunday for Aldi and am ******** myself because I do really need this job and it’s perfect for me. But I think you should really consider your cv a bit more.
I feel you. I really do. I got all 8’s-6’s at gcse and you can’t lie on a cv. But yeah, some will view it as over educated. It’s not so much that you’re too smart to work for them, it’s the idea that ‘well, if she worked hard to get those grades, she’ll want to go to uni blah blah.’ There’s no way to get around it because like I said, can’t lie on a cv. However, I do think your cv might be a problem. I can send you a template for a cv. I used it and have never really had trouble getting an interview, just an issue with getting a job offer. I’ve got an interview coming up on Sunday for Aldi and am ******** myself because I do really need this job and it’s perfect for me. But I think you should really consider your cv a bit more.

And also. Does Morrison’s require you to take a test of some sort at the point of application. Like you take a test when you apply, and then if successful you get sent another one? Because if so, it could be your initial answers to the first test.

Yeah can you send me it please I will literally do anything lol
And also. Does Morrison’s require you to take a test of some sort at the point of application. Like you take a test when you apply, and then if successful you get sent another one? Because if so, it could be your initial answers to the first test

Yeah within a couple days you're supposed to get sent an 'online assessment' if you've 'passed their first screening' or whatever. Everyone gets it because the 'first screening' is just your availability basically (and it's not like I'm never available - I'm not at school anymore so I'm free 24/7), but I don't even get sent it. It's literally just like I'm invisible lol. But I don't even think they matter that much bc me and my friend ages ago did the test right next to each other and put the exact same answers, and what do u know she got an interview and I got rejected :smile:
I think the timing matters, maybe many people are unemployed and applying for these jobs so there’s more competition.
Also being over educated is not good for these jobs. I applied for 50+ low-skill jobs and got rejected/aired however I found a job at a warehouse with a big company once I removed from my CV that I was an engineering univeristy student.
Yeah can you send me it please I will literally do anything lol

Ok :lol: hope it helps just give me a few minutes
Original post by Mustafa0605
I think the timing matters, maybe many people are unemployed and applying for these jobs so there’s more competition.
Also being over educated is not good for these jobs. I applied for 50+ low-skill jobs and got rejected/aired however I found a job at a warehouse with a big company once I removed from my CV that I was an engineering univeristy student.

That's fair enough I understand that, but another 18 year old who went to a sixth form near me got one of the jobs I applied for, it's like what's the difference between him and me? :frown: Yeah a lot of people who usually get rejected get jobs at warehouses and it's quite good pay isn't it? I would totally do that tbh lol but I don't think many girls work in them and I'm also weak so can't carry boxes :biggrin:
I used to, but they ended up rejecting me anyway because they wanted someone with ‘more experience’, despite their job description saying they don’t mind no experience as they can train you.

Lol. Other people have said most that needs to be said, so I'll just answer this part.

Often, what people say and what they mean are two different things. You'll know people like this already, probably even a lot of them.

In this context... I don't know for sure how Morrisons work as an organisation. Their corporate approach towards hiring could be "x" (what they advertise on their recruitment page, for example), and the approach of the specific hiring manager will be "y" (the person actually reading your application). Your local hiring manager will often not share identical priorities to those established by corporate executives, and heads of HR. Your hiring manager will be taking into account local training budgets for example. So then, if they don't have much budget, they will show preference to applicants who don't need as much training. Regardless of what the website says.

In this specific case, it is possible that Morrisons will look more appealing to applicants, if they put on their web page that "you don't need experience". That way, they get more applicants to choose from, regardless whether or not their actions match what their website says. Then, local managers might just pick whoever suits them, from the larger pool of applicants.

People, and organisations (that are made of people), often like to put on a 'good show' to market themselves in ways that often are not representative of their reality. Some of your friends will do that through Facebook or Instagram, with carefully selected and photo shopped images of themselves. Sellers do it through advertisements. Hiring organisations (depending on what sorts of people they're targeting)... they basically do the same, just through various methods. They don't necessarily do it 'deliberately'. It's often just a habit of individual people, that aggregates itself into an 'organisational culture' where this sort of pathetic behavior just becomes regarded as 'normal' and no one thinks twice about it.
(edited 3 years ago)
That's fair enough I understand that, but another 18 year old who went to a sixth form near me got one of the jobs I applied for, it's like what's the difference between him and me? :frown: Yeah a lot of people who usually get rejected get jobs at warehouses and it's quite good pay isn't it? I would totally do that tbh lol but I don't think many girls work in them and I'm also weak so can't carry boxes :biggrin:

Right, here it is! Couldn’t send it privately as you can’t send files in private chat (don’t know this :lol: ) but here it is. Good luck :wink: hope it helps. I’ve gotten quite a few interviews with this cv so it’s good enough. Just realised. I’ve made some spelling errors in it. It’s positive attitude in the profile section. Sorry for it being a bit messy!
(edited 3 years ago)
Right, here it is! Couldn’t send it privately as you can’t send files in private chat (don’t know this :lol: ) but here it is. Good luck :wink: hope it helps. I’ve gotten quite a few interviews with this cv so it’s good enough. Just realised. I’ve made some spelling errors in it. It’s positive attitude in the profile section. Sorry for it being a bit messy!

Thank you so muchhhhhhhhh! Can I pm you my current one for your opinion on it lol because yours is really good :biggrin:
I'll just copy and paste it if that's ok?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending